Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago, I went to start our EV6 and got nothing. Push the start button and no response. Had it towed to the dealer and then went on vacation.

While we were away, we got a few calls from the service department. The first said the 12 v battery had died and they would replace it. Next call said that did not work and the 12v was being drained during the “sleep” cycle. The dealer could not troubleshoot the problem without KIA’s supervision. KIA needed to know what the problem was for obvious reasons.

Got back from vacation and called the dealer. The root cause of the problem has not be determined but has been traced to a bad fuse holder in a location that can only be access by an authorized EV technician. So we are still waiting for a fix.

I appreciate KIA’s involvement in solving the problem but the delay in getting our car back is disappointing especially after two weeks in the shop.

· Registered
106 Posts
About 2 weeks ago, I went to start our EV6 and got nothing. Push the start button and no response. Had it towed to the dealer and then went on vacation.

While we were away, we got a few calls from the service department. The first said the 12 v battery had died and they would replace it. Next call said that did not work and the 12v was being drained during the “sleep” cycle. The dealer could not troubleshoot the problem without KIA’s supervision. KIA needed to know what the problem was for obvious reasons.

Got back from vacation and called the dealer. The root cause of the problem has not be determined but has been traced to a bad fuse holder in a location that can only be access by an authorized EV technician. So we are still waiting for a fix.

I appreciate KIA’s involvement in solving the problem but the delay in getting our car back is disappointing especially after two weeks in the shop.
That must be extremely frustrating, one of the issues with the EV6 is that few dealers have the expertise to troubleshoot problems. Something KIA needs to resolve if they want to sell these cars in volume.

· Registered
10 Posts

Did you find you were routinely losing radio station presets or other settings? Also, did you observe the orange light on top of the dash board coming on periodically? Just wondering because I am experiencing those symptoms and only have just over 2k miles on my EV6. I suspect the 12VDC battery is perhaps faulty from the factory or it is otherwise discharging for some reason. I don't believe it's been discharging because of lights that stayed on in the car (interior lights are LEDs anyway and ought to have almost no draw on the battery over time) or doors being left ajar.

· Registered
21 Posts
I have noticed the orange light on the dash twice in three days. I haven’t been driving mine too much, but I am leaving it unlocked in my garage. I keep getting notices that it’s unlocked by the app.
If all the doors are shut, but the car is unlocked, is it able to go to sleep?

· Registered
EV6 GT-line AWD 2022
48 Posts
My 12V battery died also a week ago. A couple of hours earlier car was parked at home and set scheduled charging later that evening. The first notice was at night that it was not charging. Tried mobile app, no connection. Went to the car, it was totally dead. Needed mechanical key to open door, not a single light inside. Took the multimeter to check the battery voltage, it was 5.5V! Battery was replaced and car seems to be ok now.

· Registered
106 Posts
My 12V battery died also a week ago. A couple of hours earlier car was parked at home and set scheduled charging later that evening. The first notice was at night that it was not charging. Tried mobile app, no connection. Went to the car, it was totally dead. Needed mechanical key to open door, not a single light inside. Took the multimeter to check the battery voltage, it was 5.5V! Battery was replaced and car seems to be ok now.
What are the steps required to replace the 12V battery? Anything critical? Or treat it like any other 12V? Did you loose any of the customization that was done in settings?

· Registered
342 Posts
Though worth noting that the EV6 12V battery is covered by a 36 month/36000 mile replacement warranty, at least in the US.
I've not experienced this failure, but I would NOT wait for an OEM 12V battery replacement. If they don't have one in stock and/or won't remove one from a new vehicle on the lot, I would buy an AGM and submit the receipt for reimbursement. From there, I'd simply go to small claims court.
Oh....and I LOVE my EV6!!! Best car ever!

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you find you were routinely losing radio station presets or other settings? Also, did you observe the orange light on top of the dash board coming on periodically? Just wondering because I am experiencing those symptoms and only have just over 2k miles on my EV6. I suspect the 12VDC battery is perhaps faulty from the factory or it is otherwise discharging for some reason. I don't believe it's been discharging because of lights that stayed on in the car (interior lights are LEDs anyway and ought to have almost no draw on the battery over time) or doors being left ajar.
I did observe the yelow light but nothing else. The car just died. One thing I did not mention is that you can jump the 12 v battery to recharge it like you would a ICE car. This is what the guy with tow truck did. But be aware that if there is something that continues to drain the battery and it dies the car won’t run. It too will die. Obviously that would be dangerous it happens on the highway.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are the steps required to replace the 12V battery? Anything critical? Or treat it like any other 12V? Did you loose any of the customization that was done in settings?
There are steps described for jumping the battery in the owners manual and videos on you tube for removing the battery. But I would not mess with it. I was told the battery was not lead acid like a common battery. If it dies I would not attempt to replace it. As a general practice, this car is not something you should try and repair on your own. It just too complicated.

· Registered
342 Posts
There are steps described for jumping the battery in the owners manual and videos on you tube for removing the battery. But I would not mess with it. I was told the battery was not lead acid like a common battery. If it dies I would not attempt to replace it. As a general practice, this car is not something you should try and repair on your own. It just too complicated.
Yes, the OEM battery is just a plain 'ol group 47 Lead Acid battery. Replacing it is EASY, just like an ICE vehicle. There are many things on this car I would not touch. But the lines of delineation are pretty obvious. I've installed a DIY Frunk in mine, Silverholder LEDs along the front, along with footwell lighting front / rear, ambient lighting, dashcam, Stealth Hitch and OEM trailer harness. All of them are reversible, should the car need repair, so that they wouldn't raise suspicion for warranty claim. Enjoy the car, but yes, know where to stop.

· Registered
EV6 GT-line AWD 2022
48 Posts
Thanks, so any settings or anything lost in the process?
The dealer replaced the battery for me. Anything was lost in the process. Radio favourites were on place, windows and seats were ok, driver related settings were ok etc...

· Registered
259 Posts
There is something wrong with the charging system in these cars in certain scenarios. Even if you do have a small parasitic drain, it should still try and charge the 12V from the main battery... you should just be seeing the orange dash light more frequently. Hopefully, they will figure it out. Also, yes, these 12V batteries in them are mass produced to the lowest bidder to make them. I'm sure they are not strict quality control. My Ford battery lasted just over a year..I replaced it with an AGM. Yes, it was under warranty, but why would I want to put in another crappy stock battery that could leave me in the same situation again?

· Registered
EV6 GT-line AWD 2022
48 Posts
Also, yes, these 12V batteries in them are mass produced to the lowest bidder to make them. I'm sure they are not strict quality control. My Ford battery lasted just over a year..
Yes, I asked that when my battery was replaced by the dealer. He said that the new one is manufactured by Exide and should be OK.

· Registered
33 Posts
For those with 12v battery problems, don't expect Kia to find the cure.
In my experience with my 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL they are unable to diagnose the draw on the battery.
My car has been at the dealership since Oct. 31, 2022 - Yes, almost 3 months now.
I have filed a lemon law suit and waiting for it to be resolved.
Replacing the battery will not solve your problem - they must find the cause.
No way I'll be replacing my car with another Hyundai/Kia product.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts