Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 BMW with the latest version of iDrive 7 that displays Apple Maps CarPlay turn by turn instructions in the driver's display (the one behind the wheel) and HUD in addition to the standard approach of using the Infotainment display. My impression is that the EV6 only shows the integrated navigation information in the driver display and HUD. This is important to me because I have no interest in using the integrated navigation system in any auto. Does anyone have knowledge of the current EV6 capability, or perhaps Kia's future intentions?

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
I have a 2021 BMW with the latest version of iDrive 7 that displays Apple Maps CarPlay turn by turn instructions in the driver's display (the one behind the wheel) and HUD in addition to the standard approach of using the Infotainment display. My impression is that the EV6 only shows the integrated navigation information in the driver display and HUD. This is important to me because I have no interest in using the integrated navigation system in any auto. Does anyone have knowledge of the current EV6 capability, or perhaps Kia's future intentions?
Hey there @peterlhansen , welcome to the forum! It's a pleasure to have you!

So, it will not. Only the infotainment screen will function for ACP/AA. Kia has won awards in years past for their navigation system being very functional as a user interface.

Whether or not Kia will be bringing this system to the gauge cluster or HUD is unknown currently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there @peterlhansen , welcome to the forum! It's a pleasure to have you!

So, it will not. Only the infotainment screen will function for ACP/AA. Kia has won awards in years past for their navigation system being very functional as a user interface.

Whether or not Kia will be bringing this system to the gauge cluster or HUD is unknown currently.
I guess I can live with that as long as the CarPlay hosting is otherwise well integrated. I wonder what current Kia model uses similar internals that I could try at a local dealer…

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
I guess I can live with that as long as the CarPlay hosting is otherwise well integrated. I wonder what current Kia model uses similar internals that I could try at a local dealer…
You can use any one of our newest models. The Carnival, Telluride, K5, SX Sorento.

Your problem is going to be finding a vehicle on the lot. LOL

The integration is very smooth for both ACP & AA.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally, I prefer the cord. Like the fast charge while using it and the quicker response time through the cable.
Charging with cord is certainly a plus, but keeping it connected can be a challenge. Even with a high quality cord it is very sensitive to bumps at times. Can drive you nuts when you're driving on the "smooth" roads in MA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I prefer the cord. Like the fast charge while using it and the quicker response time through the cable.
I have an Accord with wired CarPlay in addition to the BMW M440i with wireless. The Accord is somewhat sluggish, but the BMW is quick with wireless with no objectionable lag. . There is no particular reason that wireless has to have noticeable lag. Wireless Carplay first makes a Bluetooth Iconnection, then switches to a dedicated peer-to-peer WiFi connection.

That said, the BMW often gets confused if my wife and I both get in the car at the same time, as it is a tossup as to which phone it will connect via Bluetooth. If it connects to my phone while my wife is the driver, she gets upset that my phone ends up hosting CarPlay. Unfortunately, BMW does not tie the Bluetooth connection to the driver profile, which would resolve this confusion. At least wired CarPlay does not have this problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts