Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
Red GT LIne AWD, 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took the EV6 shopping today in the middle of our first major winter storm here in New England. She came home saying she was getting warnings about the radar and warnings about cars close by when there weren't any. I pointed out to her that most of the sensors including the radar in front were completely obscured by snow.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
'22 EV6 Wind AWD (tech, red)
47 Posts
Mine did dumb cruise control even when it showed the adaptive sensor was not working. Did the display say anything when you tried to activate cruise?
I think it said "conditions not met," "smart cruise conditions not met" or something along those lines. I'll give it a shot again next time, but it was beeping at me ~3x and showing that message when I attempted to start cruise control with the button on the left side of the steering wheel.

· Registered
Red GT LIne AWD, 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine did dumb cruise control even when it showed the adaptive sensor was not working. Did the display say anything when you tried to activate cruise?
I don't know my wife was driving. She said she was getting warnings and the cruise control wouldn't work. In my opinion, if it is snowing that badly I don't think using cruise control is a good idea.

· Premium Member
2022 Kia EV6 GTLine AWD, plus 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
56 Posts
I was driving in the snow last week and got a "forward safety equipment has been blocked" message - obviously covered by snow. Then I got Lane Change Assist has been disabled followed by Auto Regen has been disabled. As soon as the snow melted of the front end, these messages disappeared. I agree with previous post - likely need some sort of heating element in the front end to prevent this.

· Registered
127 Posts
I had similar experience over the last weekend. I can attest the dumb cruise control still worked. However, as someone already mentioned, if it is snowing, cruise control is not a good idea. Lane keep assist will anyways not work since the lanes will not be visible.

It was not a comfortable feeling to have only dumb cruise control on and I was a lot more reassured when I was in full control.

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind AWD w/ Tech
63 Posts
I have only driven in lightly falling snow, but I have driven after large and cold snow falls that iced over the front end. Sometimes having access to cruise control is nice even when the sensors are blocked. I use it in particular to help increase millage since the computer is more efficient than me at maintaining the speed limit.

· Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
771 Posts
My old Mazda 6 did the same, once or twice every Winter when I would drive while it was showing, snow and ice would build in front of the radar, and it would disable smart cruise control. I got used to it. Mazda has the radar right behind the Mazda logo.

· Registered
EV6 GT Line AWD
131 Posts
Almost every vehicle with front radar sensors has this issue, unless they have heating elements there, which very few do. My F150 and our '21 Sorento have this same issue, which, maybe its just me, but I dont really view as an issue. As fbov stated, in that type of weather one probably shouldnt be using CC anyways.

· Registered
2022 Steel Gray Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package
60 Posts
Almost every vehicle with front radar sensors has this issue, unless they have heating elements there, which very few do. My F150 and our '21 Sorento have this same issue, which, maybe its just me, but I dont really view as an issue. As fbov stated, in that type of weather one probably shouldnt be using CC anyways.
I completely agree. If it is snowing this happens and you just need to deal with it.

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
369 Posts
I don't remember much, but I remember one thing from the Driver's Ed course I took in High School nearly 50 years ago: If it's raining, turn off the cruise control.

That goes double for snow.

· Registered
57 Posts
I agree to not use CC when this happens. I have had it happen in a big down pour of rain. However, I would like the sensors to be cleared by a heater so the front end collision help still works along with the braking help. Very different car when the sensors are not working to drive IMHO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts