Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
F.E. 208/1500 Matte Gray $5K markup (Oxendale Kia)
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone notice the bearing like sound coming from the front motor, while its either dormant or when its in eco mode? It almost sound like something need a little grease. When the motor is not engaged you can hear this rotating sound, but once you either turn on Sport mode or it receive power the noise will stop. At first I thought it was a frequency sound from how much power is being applied to the motors, but its for sure coming from the front motor while its idle and rotating.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech Package
58 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
We do not have any noise coming from our front motor when driving in eco mode on our FE. We drive in eco mode 90 percent of the time or more because it is that good. We have no rattles, whirrs, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup very noticeable in myriad ev6 gt-line awd 2022 . It is very noticeable at 30mph in eco or normal mode. Sounds like you said a bad bearing or un greased. Kind of like a baseball card in your spokes of a bicycle or a leaf stuck somewhere. Definitely has begun to annoy me and am glad someone else hears it too. Is it supposed to sound that way or is this a concern?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I haven't noticed this one, but I HAVE noticed a very loud, very high-pitched squealing sound sometimes when the climate is on and I'm outside the car. It comes and goes so I haven't decided yet whether it's a problem, or just wearing-in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't noticed this one, but I HAVE noticed a very loud, very high-pitched squealing sound sometimes when the climate is on and I'm outside the car. It comes and goes so I haven't decided yet whether it's a problem, or just wearing-in.
I'm just on the verge of buying one and this post scares the bejesus out of me! There is a whole long string related to the Niro EV where they had a similar issue. See the post below. Consumer Reports reported the reliability of the Niro EV as quite good overall though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm just on the verge of buying one and this post scares the bejesus out of me!
That's definitely not the noise I'm hearing. But regardless, I wouldn't be too worried about it. All new platforms are going to have an issue here and there. I'd rather have one minor squeal in a Kia that either goes away or gets fixed, vs 17 major assembly issues that go through round after round of service appointments without improvement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's definitely not the noise I'm hearing. But regardless, I wouldn't be too worried about it. All new platforms are going to have an issue here and there. I'd rather have one minor squeal in a Kia that either goes away or gets fixed, vs 17 major assembly issues that go through round after round of service appointments without improvement.
Unfortunely, it wasn't a simple problem to fix on the Niro EV. It required replacement of the traction motor and Kia releasing three different versions. "E710" was the original motor with the issue and the last version I saw mentioned in the thread above was "E712".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just on the verge of buying one and this post scares the bejesus out of me! There is a whole long string related to the Niro EV where they had a similar issue. See the post below. Consumer Reports reported the reliability of the Niro EV as quite good overall though.

My Kia NIRO EV had this but this was only when I let it slow down to a stop. This is while driving, it cant drive it out with the radio either. They say these are the sound to be concerned about. Sad thing I couldnt get anyone to take me serious about the NIRO EV so I am worried about this one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if its missing some oil I would rather know now then later when a bearing fails or it rips a hole in my motor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A dumb question, but I need to ask. Does everyone have the faux engine noises turned off? It would be easy if this was the answer, but I doubt it.
Yes, wish it was the faux engine noises. You can even hear it over those. The faux engine noise fails to output sometimes and left with the bearing hum...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone notice the bearing like sound coming from the front motor, while its either dormant or when its in eco mode? It almost sound like something need a little grease. When the motor is not engaged you can hear this rotating sound, but once you either turn on Sport mode or it receive power the noise will stop. At first I thought it was a frequency sound from how much power is being applied to the motors, but its for sure coming from the front motor while its idle and rotating.
I started hearing that same noise randomly over the last few weeks… took it in and of course it had stopped by then. When the sound is present, I notice the same motor comments as you. Have you been able to get yours looked at?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I started hearing that same noise randomly over the last few weeks… took it in and of course it had stopped by then. When the sound is present, I notice the same motor comments as you. Have you been able to get yours looked at?
Almost certainly a faulty front motor clutch acting up when it's disengaged and there's relative motion between the two sides (when it's engaged, output=input). Eco mode will cause it to stay disengaged i.e. noisy most of the time above a few mph, unless you're in i-pedal mode.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Almost certainly a faulty front motor clutch acting up when it's disengaged and there's relative motion between the two sides (when it's engaged, output=input). Eco mode will cause it to stay disengaged i.e. noisy most of the time above a few mph, unless you're in i-pedal mode.
My money is on differential gear whine.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If that were the case, the sound would exist when the motor is engaged, rather than when it's disengaged.
No, when the motor is engaged and the vehicle is traveling straight, the pinion gears in the differential aren't spinning at all. When the front motor is engaged and the car is turning, the pinion gears will be turning slowly. But the clutch is just on one half-shaft. When the car is moving but the clutch is disengaged, the cogging resistance of the motor will keep the differential cage stationary. One half-axel will be driven from forward motion, and the small, straight cut pinion gears will spinning fast, while the half-axel on the clutch side spins in the opposite direction of the driven half-shaft.

·
Registered
396 Posts
But the clutch is just on one half-shaft.
Interesting, just found your post over here: Drivetrain on EV's questions

This is the only relevant service manual info I've got and basically all I can tell from it is "the disconnect actuator is somewhere on the output of the motor." It does look close to the passenger-side coupling as per that video though. In which case, I bet you're probably right - it looks like there's a lot more going on in the diff to be noisy, vs on the disconnected halves of that coupler unless the sleeve doesn't actuate all the way and you get grinding.

I wonder how it synchronizes to get a clean engagement while in motion? Maybe the motor spins up to match the two measured wheel speeds? That'd be cool/complicated.

Motor vehicle Font Machine Auto part Engineering

1 - 20 of 26 Posts