Kia EV Forum banner

AWD front motor whirring noise - now with Audio/Video - how many experience this?

72K views 690 replies 72 participants last post by  Phil Hyde 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, first. Loving the EV6 AWD.
We're learning a lot and so far, we've been able to either resolve or control the nuisances.
For example, rattle on the dashboard turned out to be the overhead shades which we "fixed" by stuffing in a piece of folded paper (quick easy fix).

Now for the query:
Has anyone else noticed a whirring sound when running the car in Eco or Normal with Regen not on Max?
I'm pretty sure this is related to the 2nd motor (Please chime in 2wd EV6ers if you also experience this!)

EV6-WhirringNoise-Video

Here's something we've learned:
When Regen is not on Max and the car is in Eco or Normal mode then there is a mild whirring (grinding) sound that oscillates with acceleration and deceleration.
It is most noticeable in the 28 - 40 mph range.
It is an annoying murmur/humming/whirring sound.
However, put the car into Full Regen, Winter, or Sport mode and the noise disappears instantly, regardless of Regen settings.

So, the good news is, we know how to "turn off" the noise, just not sure if the noise is deliberate or not.
Because we know how to control it this is now not even annoying, but until we figured out the cause it was a nuisance.

Note: "Engine theme" sound effects were off the whole time during our analysis/diagnosis

Thanks for responses in advance!

See less See more
#524 ·
The latest list:

1) bicyclechip (OP,issue reported to KIA)
2) NobodyInParticular
3) petraman
4) Ryaninpnet
5) elkkk
6) twcz3 (reported to KIA)
7) Robnobob (replaced GRU, still has the issue) Colorado
8) Biscuit112
9) MonkeyEV6
10) Adrien AZ (KIA offered buyback - posted on FB that the drive unit was replaced, no other updates)
11) Jcw
12) robby-d
13) Eranr (reported to KIA)
14) jogas (reported to KIA)
15) tbudai (reported to KIA)
16) Rockytj
17) pdebaum (high elevation)
18) MichiganEV6
19) jbrams_tank (reported to KIA)
20) Lisey (Colorado)
21) Phil Hyde (me) - built 4/22, Oregon 4200ft
22) KiaevCan
23) quietglow (reported at high elevation but went away at lower elevation)
24) gvac (6000ft)
25) jgwilt62 (8000ft)
26) Drduke

#531 ·
Sorry about my question. I'm sure my answer is in the thread, but 530 posts are too many to go through. So this noise just started today, very faint but i can hear/feel it. I wad wondering if it is problem, if there is a solution, and if anything need to be done. Thanks in advance

#574 ·
So I wonder what I ought to do, and would appreciate any thoughts. I had this issue when I was at elevation this summer. Have not heard it again since. I've been in the mid 2k's since then driving across PA and NY, but not again >5k ft. I don't live at altitude but I do visit at least a few times year. Next time will likely be next summer though, and part of me doesn't want to wait that long to report this issue. The problem is this: when I brought my car in for the failing amp, it was working when they started the car (as they do when they're failing). Their response was "as far as Kia is concerned, if it's not broken when its here, it's not broken."

#578 ·
I believe altitude is definitely a factor that may be as important; if not more than temperature. I've been stuck in slow moving bumper to bumper traffic a few times this month going up to and from the Eisenhower tunnel which cuts thru the Continental Divide and sits at an elevation of more than 11,000ft. I can clearly hear the "blender" noise even though the temps are in the 40-50degree range.

#583 ·
The elevation correlation is unknown but it definitely seems to be a common factor. People that live at near sea level driving up into the mountains for example. From what I understand the faulty drive units are a known range of production (serial numbers) so those bad cars could be anywhere. No one really understands the root cause of the problem so it's hard to tell but I suspect some will go undiagnosed.

#585 ·
I’m bringing mine in Thursday, but I’m assuming it’ll be an uphill battle to even get any traction. The dealership is at sea level, I’ve verified I can only reproduce the issue at 4300ft MSL and above, and the closest suitable mountain to test on is like 90min from them. I’m excited to find out how they take that wild goose chase of an assignment :)