Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
5th generation propulsion units are way more efficient than kia&Hyundai propulsion units. Especially on interstate speeds.
Here is some information regarding unit that use brushes to magnetize rotor ( it has no magnets, this approach is more efficient and have no resistance when coasting because there is no magnets on the rotor

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I see. So we can expect less of an efficiency penalty at highway speeds in the long range (322~ hp) BMW compared to the AWD EV6.
BTW the link didn't come through but I did find this from Motor Trend.
Yes it more efficient than Tesla propulsion unit when tested at 130 km/h.
So this propulsion unit can be PM motor and AC induction motor in one piece. Best of both worlds. No resistance when coasting ( inverter will not keep electricity to the rotor to be magnetized. They have higher torque less heat production ( much lover ratio and much lower rotor speeds required to be in efficiency map when loaded)
From my knowledge about brushes and BMW engineering life expectancy, brushes will last up to 300 000 km before it needs brushes replacing. Electric motor is easily accessible and this maintenance is not very complicated to replace. Some testing over EU I4 RWD is more efficient than Tesla 3 model, even I4 is much more heavy than Tesla 3.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weird that the bmw gets lower efficiency rating than kia if motor is more efficient
Germans are always showing less than what really they can deliver. Also propulsion units power is also under rated. Under promise and over deliver is how BMW rolls. But they are quite heavy vs Tesla vehicles. Also chassis for ICE vehicle with EV conversion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts