Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my EV6 for just over a week now.

I am enjoying it so far, but thought I would mention an issue that I have encountered twice.

I have twice charged on CCS chargers, and have forgotten to turn the car off completely before the charging session started.

This has resulted in the car doing the following:

• Bricking itself …
  • Unable to start/turn off the car
  • Unable to get out of neutral gear
  • Unable to lock/unlock the doors

The 1st time it just sorted itself out (I must have got enough distance between me and the car … more on this later!).

The 2nd time, I had to call the RAC Recovery service, as no matter what I did, I was unable to get the car going again.

RAC guy; John was excellent. He took the lead acid battery off to see if this would reset the car. It didn’t. The Kia Connect app was stating the lead acid battery was low, so John put it on charge to pump some volts into it. This did nothing to change the status.

After much head scratching, John asked me to walk away from the car with my key.

As I increased the distance of the key from the vehicle, he was able to press the start button, and the car jumped into a Ready State, and normal operation resumed!

I previously believed that this was due to the car being in an ON state when CCS DC Charging, but it appears that a few owners are now getting "bricking" or "zombie" issues even when not charging, and this is also being reported by Ioniq 5 drivers too, so appears to be related to the e-GMP platform.

I have now reported this to Kia, and awaiting their response.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why should we need to turn the car off before charging? What if we want to sit in the car whilst it charges? Surely this is a software fault that will be fixed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
From what I found in the online manual:

• Even though charging is possible with the EV button in the ON/START position, for you safety, start charging when the EV button is in the OFF position and the vehicle shifted to P (Park). After charging has started, you can use electrical components such as the radio by pressing the EV button to the ACC or ON position.

·
Registered
2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
1 Posts
From what I found in the online manual:

• Even though charging is possible with the EV button in the ON/START position, for you safety, start charging when the EV button is in the OFF position and the vehicle shifted to P (Park). After charging has started, you can use electrical components such as the radio by pressing the EV button to the ACC or ON position.
AMAZING what one learns when the READ THE MANUAL!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree reading the manual is always recommended and I am sure all people fully read manuals from cover to cover before operating any equipment, but some of us miss pages/parts (I registered the bit about car state for charging but not the rather ambiguous further paragraph as noted by Cnsheets as this implies you can do as FreakyBeanz did and not suffer), so his point is very relevant as a vehicle that bricks itself (even if temporarily) because you fail to press buttons in a certain sequence fails to address the real world. People will just jump in a car and drive it, and this should be the EV manufacturers nirvana as it smooths the concerns of prospective buyers and opens the field for wider sales. I would have thought a warning or a block to initiate charge starting until car is in the correct state would be the safest and best way to avoid such issues and save Kia's reputation (as the negative news hounds will jump on such things).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a quick update - emailed Kia re this and swift response received below:-
==
Thanks for your email.

The EV6 manual is already being reviewed following feedback. Thanks for taking the time to highlight this example which I've forwarded on to the relevant department.
==

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree reading the manual is always recommended and I am sure all people fully read manuals from cover to cover before operating any equipment, but some of us miss pages/parts (I registered the bit about car state for charging but not the rather ambiguous further paragraph as noted by Cnsheets as this implies you can do as FreakyBeanz did and not suffer), so his point is very relevant as a vehicle that bricks itself (even if temporarily) because you fail to press buttons in a certain sequence fails to address the real world. People will just jump in a car and drive it, and this should be the EV manufacturers nirvana as it smooths the concerns of prospective buyers and opens the field for wider sales. I would have thought a warning or a block to initiate charge starting until car is in the correct state would be the safest and best way to avoid such issues and save Kia's reputation (as the negative news hounds will jump on such things).
I appreciate hearing about these things because I’m one that does not read manuals
Thanks for any and all input

·
Registered
39 Posts

I am enjoying it so far, but thought I would mention an issue that I have encountered twice due to my own stupidity.

I have twice charged on CCS chargers, and have forgotten to turn the car off completely before the charging session started.

• Bricking itself …

The 1st time it just sorted itself out (I must have got enough distance between me and the car … more on this later!).

The 2nd time, I had to call the RAC Recovery service, as no matter what I did, I was unable to get the car going again.

RAC guy; John was excellent. He took the lead acid battery off to see if this would reset the car. It didn’t. The Kia Connect app was stating the lead acid battery was low, so John put it on charge to pump some volts into it. This did nothing to change the status.

After much head scratching, John asked me to walk away from the car with my key.

As I increased the distance of the key from the vehicle, he was able to press the start button, and the car jumped into a Ready State, and normal operation resumed!

So the moral of this story is: TURN OFF THE CAR BEFORE YOU START A DC CHARGING SESSION!

At least now I know if this ever happens again, I just have to get distance between the car and the key.

I tend to use a Faraday case for my key normally, so assume that just putting the key in the case will also do the job, to sever its connection with the car.

Lesson learned!

I am enjoying it so far, but thought I would mention an issue that I have encountered twice due to my own stupidity.

• Bricking itself …

So the moral of this story is: TURN OFF THE CAR BEFORE YOU START A DC CHARGING SESSION!

At least now I know if this ever happens again, I just have to get distance between the car and the key.

I tend to use a Faraday case for my key normally, so assume that just putting the key in the case will also do the job, to sever its connection with the car.

Lesson learned!
When I made my first testdrive I was unable to lock the car. I tried all kind of different things. Eventually I got back in the car and found out that I did not turn it off.
My regular car is diesel automatic and when you stop the car and put it in parking mode, when as a driver you open the door. It will automatically turn off the car.
Which I expected the EV6 to do as well. I find it very dangerours that it stays on. When I park the car and my two young boys remain in the car and they move from the back to the front.

the both know they are not allowed, but it happens then it is very easy put this car in drive mode even by accicent. As the big knop in EV6 is in BMW and Espace the one that is used for navigating in the menu I actually had the knob in my hand during driving and forgot that it was the gearbox selection... It did not respond, luckily :)

By enabling the automatic turning off when you leave the car when in parking mode, both would be solved...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hope this is a bug! At no point it should be acceptable that a car bricks itself for something silly like this. This is a engineering problem.
Its a car after all. And who the hell reads a manual these days. Seriously for driving a car? Sure its always great to do so but i'm sure 99% wont read the manual cover to cover and just use it as a reference if there is a need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've sent a mail to Kia today about the issue.

If the car needs to be in an OFF state before a DC charging session is started, then surely they can check the status of the car, when the charging port is open, and actually pop a message up onto the Drivers Display!

Or: Actually stop the charge from starting if the car is ON.

I am pretty sure there are going to be a few people who might get caught out with this, or maybe it is just my car affected!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "Zombie" (unable to switch from anything else than N/P and/or unable to turn the car off) issue is not restricted to DC charging (even if it seems to trigger the problem). There are several threads on Ioniq 5 forums with the exact same problem.

Got a KIA EV6, 5 days down the line the zombie issue started. First time after DC charging with entertainment on for about 25 minutes. Second time, in a car park, drove about 80 miles, got out of car, locked it, came back after an hour, zombie, unable to get in gear or turn off. after a while car turned itself off, restarted and fixed. Next day same thing, was charging AC at home, started, drove a few hundred yards, stopped the car got out, to grab something in the boot (turned the car off, not just put in P), zombie mode. Only able to switch between N and P, unable to switch off.
Again, car reset after a while and fine.

Dealer said all updates were done before delivery, it goes back tomorrow and want to see GDS by myself.

When in zombie mode: red 12V battery and key/immobiliser alarms (not the big "no key present popup" but small orange key bottom left, just above the 12v battery)

·
Registered
224 Posts
The "Zombie" (unable to switch from anything else than N/P and/or unable to turn the car off) issue is not restricted to DC charging (even if it seems to trigger the problem). There are several threads on Ioniq 5 forums with the exact same problem.

Got a KIA EV6, 5 days down the line the zombie issue started. First time after DC charging with entertainment on for about 25 minutes. Second time, in a car park, drove about 80 miles, got out of car, locked it, came back after an hour, zombie, unable to get in gear or turn off. after a while car turned itself off, restarted and fixed. Next day same thing, was charging AC at home, started, drove a few hundred yards, stopped the car got out, to grab something in the boot (turned the car off, not just put in P), zombie mode. Only able to switch between N and P, unable to switch off.

Dealer said all updates were done before delivery, it goes back tomorrow and want to see GDS by myself.

When in zombie mode: red 12V battery and key/immobiliser alarms (not the big "no key present popup" but small orange key bottom left, just above the 12v battery)
What was the "while" in minutes please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

So it sounds like there are fundamental issues with the E-GMP platform if it is affecting both brands (*and probably the soon to be released Genesis GV90).

Let's hope the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis techs can get this fixed ASAP, either via a Service Recall, or OTA Update, as this has the potential to harm all of the Hyundai Group brands, and their "halo" vehicles.

When you're paying this much for a car, you expect the damn thing to actually work!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts