Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing a number of posts on the facebook group made me think that lots of folks likely are curious about winter tire and rims set up in preperation for the winter months.

So I wanted to create the thread to share existing set up with everyone, and hoping folks can post photos of their vehicles with their Rim Choices and wheels.
Went with the stock rim and tire sizes from my GT2:

Tires: Nokian Tyres Hakkapeliitta R5 [255/45/R20)
Rims: Deutschman D01 20 Inch (Gun Metal Black)
Offset: +45​
Wheel Diameter: 20​
Wheel Width: 9​
Hub Bore: 73.10​
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3 (5x4.5)​

What is interesting is I am actually getting better consumption numbers than the OEM 20" rim and Continentals.
I think the rims are considerably lighter and the tires have a lower resistance than the Continentals, which makes me wonder if they could have actually squeezed better range numbers?

Here are some photos!
Would love to see some other winter set ups!
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
Looks great! The R5's are supposed to have great rolling resistance, that's probably a factor too. Did you leave your all-seasons on the OEM wheels? What are you thinking of doing next spring, ditching the OEMs or staying as is?

Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
I think the rims are considerably lighter and the tires have a lower resistance than the Continentals, which makes me wonder if they could have actually squeezed better range numbers?
Tires impact rolling resistance, wheels impact aerodynamic drag.

The tradeoff in wheel design is brake cooling vs. drag. You've chosen a wheel with great brake cooling. Expect to see a greater-than-expected range loss when average speed increases. Don't get stranded!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great! The R5's are supposed to have great rolling resistance, that's probably a factor too. Did you leave your all-seasons on the OEM wheels? What are you thinking of doing next spring, ditching the OEMs or staying as is?
Thanks man!

Yes left the all seasons on the OEM wheels - I'm thinking to keep the OEMs for all seasons and potentially down the line upgrade the continentals to something lower resistance.
But I've been getting lots of compliments on the D01s - I might maybe switch the winter tires to the OEMs and the all seasons to these.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The tradeoff in wheel design is brake cooling vs. drag. You've chosen a wheel with great brake cooling. Expect to see a greater-than-expected range loss when average speed increases. Don't get stranded!
Valid point - but to be super honest with you, based on over 4 trips both over 125 KM in length, + cooler temperatures mixed in, I am actually seeing better range than the OEM rims and tires. And this range and power efficiency isn't nominal - its actually about 7-10% better efficiency than what I was getting doing the same trip in the summer months.

This is also what others are reporting too on the Canadian Facebook group.

Registered
Can confirm. I downsized to 19s with R5 EVs and I鈥檓 getting a 20% improvement. (15-16kWh/100km down to 12-13kWh/100km) and I didn鈥檛 even go with the aero version of the wheels. My width is also quite a bit narrower too (225 vs 255mm)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can confirm. I downsized to 19s with R5 EVs and I鈥檓 getting a 20% improvement. (15-16kWh/100km down to 12-13kWh/100km) and I didn鈥檛 even go with the aero version of the wheels. My width is also quite a bit narrower too (225 vs 255mm)
This.
Only thing to add - my width is the same as OEMs - 255s

Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)

Don't discount the benefit of lighter wheels - less unsprung rotational weight. The OEM wheels are heavy.

Thanks man!

Yes left the all seasons on the OEM wheels - I'm thinking to keep the OEMs for all seasons and potentially down the line upgrade the continentals to something lower resistance.
But I've been getting lots of compliments on the D01s - I might maybe switch the winter tires to the OEMs and the all seasons to these.
The drawback to switching the winters to the OEM wheels will be the loss in range from the heavier wheels at a time when cold weather is also negatively impacting range. I wish we had more details on how much wheel selection impacts real-world highway range, especially vs. OEM wheels.

I'm eyeing 19" options for winters, but honestly I hated the narrower tires on the MME and since I don't see much snow in the winter I'm thinking having the wider setup of the 20s is more for me. I'm leaning towards the same tires, so maybe when I'm visiting your 'hood for Christmas we can do a little side-by-side highway range test / compare.

Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
There is no range benefit to lighter wheels in a car with regenerative braking.
That'd only be true if regen was 100% efficient and no other forces are being applied.

Let's say you're driving at high speeds on a highway where you're not doing consistent speeds. Much of the decel will not be regenerative braking, it'll be external forces (air & road friction, gravity). All of the accel will benefit from lighter rims, but you'll never make it up on decel.

I'm not sure who first started that "lighter wheels don't matter because regen" but it simply isn't true.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no range benefit to lighter wheels in a car with regenerative braking.
Agree with @robby-d and I鈥檒l also add you are not regenerating 100% of the time when not on the accelerator.

My car鈥檚 highway drive assist actually at times coasts during downhill and high wind conditions, meaning the logic of the car is choosing not to apply regen for the sake of keeping speed.

Weight is absolutely a factor for any EV, and don鈥檛 take my word for it - just do a bit of research to see how much it impacts range.

Also - my personal experience, my new rims are about 10 lbs lighter than the stock. Mixed with the Lower rolling resistance, I think this is why I am actually seeing consistent range increases and efficiency.

Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
Those rims are SICK! I gotta say I'm not usually a fan of aftermarket wheels, but those look great.

I'm not in Canada, but we do get winter in Central Oregon. I put Michelin CrossClimate 2's on last month.

Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
I'm not sure who first started that "lighter wheels don't matter because regen" but it simply isn't true.
Whoever they were, they misquoted me! I said regen makes weight a non-factor for range. You still get the "other" benefits of a few pounds weight reduction in a 2-ton+ car.
Weight is absolutely a factor for any EV, and don鈥檛 take my word for it - just do a bit of research to see how much it impacts range.
I really wish you WOULD do the research! I have, or I'd keep my mouth shut.

FYI, Google would love you to watch Hoovie's videos. Google is a poor research tool, you need a human mind.

Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
Here's one, from a guy who's done a lot of range testing. He has others, but at 14:45, he summarizes the testing.

"... any electric vehicle and payload... the weight doesn't matter, it's all about the aero."

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those rims are SICK! I gotta say I'm not usually a fan of aftermarket wheels, but those look great.

I'm not in Canada, but we do get winter in Central Oregon. I put Michelin CrossClimate 2's on last month.
Thanka buddy - appreciate it! Curious how the cross climates are doing in comparison to your OEMs. Any range or power efficiency you are noticing?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whoever they were, they misquoted me! I said regen makes weight a non-factor for range. You still get the "other" benefits of a few pounds weight reduction in a 2-ton+ car.

I really wish you WOULD do the research! I have, or I'd keep my mouth shut.

FYI, Google would love you to watch Hoovie's videos. Google is a poor research tool, you need a human mind.
I don鈥檛 think anyone is arguing here but you. You鈥檝e come here and hijacked this regional post and trying to falsify what a number of us are experiencing in real world driving with your original comment

Expect to see a greater-than-expected range loss when average speed increases.
And TBH with you - a lot of us have done the research and I would appreciate if you approach this thread and the folks responding with their real world range improvements with curiosity - rather than trying to hammer and shove your opinions and research down people鈥檚 throats.

If you don鈥檛 like the experiences shared here, move on. We鈥檒l all deal with our tire and rim choice reprocussions ourselves - this thread is only here to share set ups so that others can make a more informed choice.

ps given tone is easily misconstrued via text - none of the above is meant to come across harsh. I鈥檓 just surprised at why you need to come here to prove a point or disprove the experience of others.

I鈥檓 getting better range with my set up - and I live In a cold, mountainous region. Show us your set up and tell us why you went with it and how it鈥檚 better or worse.

now let鈥檚 move on back to the topic of this tread.

Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
Thanka buddy - appreciate it! Curious how the cross climates are doing in comparison to your OEMs. Any range or power efficiency you are noticing?
Definitely took a range hit. I haven't done any fancy testing, but from my observations of the mi/kW meter it feels about half a mile or so. It's noticeable. But that's the price of needing performance over range. If my needs shift toward needing range in the summer I'll probably get another set of proper efficiency tires.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts