Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
My setup is netting me an estimated range of over 600km/376mi (125 + 477) but the difference between me and @OneFiasco is that I dropped a size to 19". I'm also running Nokian Hakkapeliita R5 EV. I'm going into week 3 with my winter setup and my average consumption continues to drop. (14.3kWh/100km as shown at the bottom of the photo. It was 14.8kWh/100km when I did the change over).

13.2kWh/100km = 4.73mi/kWh. This is higher than last week because it includes some highway driving.

Vehicle Font Gadget Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
🇨🇦 GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
My setup is netting me an estimated range of over 600km/376mi (125 + 477) but the difference between me and @OneFiasco is that I dropped a size to 19". I'm also running Nokian Hakkapeliita R5 EV. I'm on going into week 3 with my winter setup and my average consumption continues to drop. (14.3kWh/100km as shown at the bottom of the photo. It was 14.8kWh/100km when I did the change over).

13.2kWh/100km = 4.73mi/kWh. This is higher than last week because it includes some highway driving.

View attachment 9626
Unreal - these R5s are on a different level.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Unreal - these R5s are on a different level.
Yeah. I was getting 17kWh/100km when I first picked up the car in April and it was raining. I forgot the temperature but it might be cooler (8-10°C for daytime highs?). I hoping this just means the tires will help reduce the range loss in the winter due to temperature and rain/snow. Instead of 17, maybe I'll be at 16. And instead of 20-21kWh/100km in snow covered roads, maybe I'll be at 19-20? We'll see.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
288 Posts
What are you talking about? Are you even reading or aware your own replies? You asked this:

You are on a regional tread trying so hard to hijack the topic and the distract from the main goal.

Here is some research for you - no trolling. Seriously. I've even linked it to the section in the article for you - so you don't have waste anymore of anyones time. These tires were just released this month. And they are intended specifically for EV and Hybrids vehicles with lower resistance. The Nokian site claims they improve range, and my personal driving for the last 2 weeks proves this. I don't know why you keep harping on people's experiences who actually have winter tires.

STOP Distracting from the main point of this thread - which is to show and share winter set ups.
Either share/show us your set up, and tell us why you went with it and if you are seeing improvements or not. I am seeing improvements, and so are others.

Context is important - you are here in the Canadian section, trying to prove and point that doesn't need to be. @Administrator
I won't excerpt this because its length is telling. Time for some deletions.

"STOP Distracting from the main point of this thread - which is to show and share winter set ups."

I asked why there were wheel pictures, but none of the tire that's mounted on the wheel. I feel the tire is a far more important part of a winter set-up.

I have no idea what you're on about. Turn the wheel...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

"STOP Distracting from the main point of this thread - which is to show and share winter set ups."

I asked why there were wheel pictures, but none of the tire that's mounted on the wheel. I feel the tire is a far more important part of a winter set-up.

Lol 😂 what….

The pictures are of my set up - which is the topic of this thread. Others have also posted their set up - not just the tire.

The first post states which tire I am using… along with a link. I would figure with your research abilities - you would find a million and one pictures of the tire.

Is that what your hurt and arguing about? Not having a picture?

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
820 Posts

Look man, nobody posting pics of their new wheel/tire setup is going to focus on the tread when there are great pictures of the tire on the web. eg:

NOW. Can we please stop talking about this?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
288 Posts
Look man, nobody posting pics of their new wheel/tire setup is going to focus on the tread when there are great pictures of the tire on the web.
Same is true of the wheels... sellers are happy to show you how wheels would look on your car. So... great pictures of the wheels on the web. You have a point?

I do. Wheels have very little to do with a car's snow performance. Tires have a huge impact on snow performance.

Why are you all talking about wheels in a winter tire thread?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Same is true of the wheels... sellers are happy to show you how wheels would look on your car. So... great pictures of the wheels on the web. You have a point?

I do. Wheels have very little to do with a car's snow performance. Tires have a huge impact on snow performance.

Your reply length is telling.

Enlighten us - what is your problem with this tread?

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
820 Posts
@KiaevCan @MasterWitsec @robby-d

If you purchased your winter tires recently - there are rebates to be had for each manufacturer.
Here is the redflagdeals page with all of the relevant links and application forms!

Hah, thanks, I literally just ordered VikingContact 7's. We'll see how they do, they were Europe's #1 nordic tire for a year or two. Set of 4 including shipping taxes but not mounting was $1390 from BlackCircles.ca (plus another $60 off via mail-in rebate).
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
820 Posts
YOU asked for photos of tires. Or are you trolling so much everywhere that you forgot already?

OK, I was polite before but that stops now. If you don't like this thread, then GTFO. You've added NOTHING here but conflict. Your opinions are asinine, your points are dull as collard, and no, you actually can't find many photos of various wheels on EV6's on the web, I know because I spent a helluva a lot of time trying. And NO, I simply DGAF if you want to prove me wrong by providing one single counterexample from a US site in this Canadian thread.

So seriously - just get lost. @OneFiasco posted a winter setup thread, there are photos of his winter setup, if you don't like the quality or content of his photos, start your own GD thread and fill your boots.

In summary: your trolling is not welcome here.

As we say in Canadian: "Take off, eh?" Oh, and a hint: We phrase it as a question, but it's not one.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line 1
28 Posts
I was told that downsizing to 18s for my GTL1 would work, but apparently the TPMS sensors I got are for 19s. I already have bought the tires (X-Ice Snow), rims (RSSW Velocity) & sensors (from Kia). He said give it a try and see if it will work -- I'll switch over in a couple of weeks and hope the TPMS sensors will get picked up by the car. Deep down, I knew I should have stayed with the stock size!

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line 1
28 Posts
I was told that downsizing to 18s for my GTL1 would work, but apparently the TPMS sensors I got are for 19s. I already have bought the tires (X-Ice Snow), rims (RSSW Velocity) & sensors (from Kia). He said give it a try and see if it will work -- I'll switch over in a couple of weeks and hope the TPMS sensors will get picked up by the car. Deep down, I knew I should have stayed with the stock size!
Just put my winter tires on this afternoon and drove it around to see if the TPMS sensors get picked up automatically.
Right around 5km of driving, the sensors got picked up by the car and showed the individual tire pressure values.
FYI, the setup is Michelin X-Ice Snow on RSSW Velocity 18" rims with genuine KIA TPMS sensors.
Automotive mirror Personal luxury car Vehicle Automotive design Technology
Automotive mirror Personal luxury car Vehicle Automotive design Technology

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can confirm. I downsized to 19s with R5 EVs and I’m getting a 20% improvement. (15-16kWh/100km down to 12-13kWh/100km) and I didn’t even go with the aero version of the wheels. My width is also quite a bit narrower too (225 vs 255mm)
Hi, this is Sarah's husband Dan. We ordered our EV6 GT Line 2 on Feb. 16/22 and with all the recent deliveries, we are hoping that we'll get notified for a Feb. '23 delivery. I am trying to figure out winter tire/wheel arrangements and am interested in your specific arrangement. Would you be willing to share with me who you bought your winter package from, and the specifics of the tire and wheel sizes, perhaps with the icing on the cake....a couple of pictures of your winter arrangement installed on your car. I want to get EV rated tires but blackcircles and tirerack don't seem to have them although my computer skills may be limiting what I have accessed so far. It seems to me that the weight of the vehicle will be considerably more than an SUV of similar dimensions and therefore the EV rating for the tires is essential. With colder temperatures and thus reduced range, I want to provide an efficient wheel/tire combination to minimize the cold's impact on our range. We are in Creston, BC and have been experiencing more snow with climate change than before and with all of the mountain passes we want excellent winter treads under us...Haakappeletta or Michelin X-ice Snow. I look forward to your reply. Dan

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi, this is Sarah's husband Dan. We ordered our EV6 GT Line 2 on Feb. 16/22 and with all the recent deliveries, we are hoping that we'll get notified for a Feb. '23 delivery. I am trying to figure out winter tire/wheel arrangements and am interested in your specific arrangement. Would you be willing to share with me who you bought your winter package from, and the specifics of the tire and wheel sizes, perhaps with the icing on the cake....a couple of pictures of your winter arrangement installed on your car. I want to get EV rated tires but blackcircles and tirerack don't seem to have them although my computer skills may be limiting what I have accessed so far. It seems to me that the weight of the vehicle will be considerably more than an SUV of similar dimensions and therefore the EV rating for the tires is essential. With colder temperatures and thus reduced range, I want to provide an efficient wheel/tire combination to minimize the cold's impact on our range. We are in Creston, BC and have been experiencing more snow with climate change than before and with all of the mountain passes we want excellent winter treads under us...Haakappeletta or Michelin X-ice Snow. I look forward to your reply. Dan
Hi,

Yes with EVs, you do want to be aware of the load index of the wheel to ensure the wheel can properly hold the vehicle up when fully loaded. In addition, you're right, the tires need to be properly load indexed as well.

I decided to go with alloy wheels for my winter rims instead of steel rims. You could certainly go with steel rims as they're significantly cheaper but 19" versions are harder to find (you'll be able to find 18" ones).

My alloy wheel manufacturer is FAST wheel, model is EV01. It was purchased from 1010tires (brick and mortar) but you could also buy online from canadawheels.ca, wheelwiz.ca and pmctires. I looked up dealers on fastco.ca's website and it seems like Kal Tire in Creston sells them. You could inquire there.

My specific wheel specification is
Diameter/Width: 19x8.5"
Bolt pattern: 5x114.3mm
Offset: 48mm
Model no.: FE01H-1985-65TN+48C671

You can definitely go with 19x7.5" (so a 1" narrower wheel)
Diameter/Width: 19x7.5"
Bolt pattern: 5x114.3mm
Offset: 45mm
Model no: FE01N-1975-65TN+45C661

And this will be 4lbs lighter than the 8.5" width wheel.

Both wheels are rated at 820kg load rating. Multiply that by 4 wheels and the total weight rating is 3,280kg which is more than the gross vehicle weight as stated in the driver's door jamb placard.

Here is the website. The wheel comes in Titanium (as shown) or black finishes. It also comes in more aerodynamic "EV01+" form which includes aerodynamic inserts. I believe those are out of stock at the moment

Here's a screenshot showing the EV01 in black and titanium finishes as well as the EV01+ in black and titanium finishes.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Product

----

For tires, I went with Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 EV. They only have specific tire sizes. On my car, I went with 225/55R19 103R as recommended by Kal Tire. Note that this load index is LOWER rated than the car's original 105R weight rating. This means my maximum cargo carry capacity is reduced by 50 kg/110 lbs. In order to stick with the original 105 load index on the tire, I would recommend the wider 245/50R19 which is rated at 105 load index on Kal Tire's website. Kal Tire might also recommend the OEM 235/55R19 specification of the GT-L 1 and other EV6 models but note that the R5 EV doesn't come in that size, so you will have to go with the R5 SUV.

Differences? R5 EV adds:
  • acoustic foam lining for reduced noise
  • even greater low rolling resistance than R5 or R5 SUV for eeking out additional EV range (which is what I've noticed)

If Kal Tire Creston carries the FAST wheels, then it's much easier to talk to them to get the right wheel/tire combination for you. I had to look at two different sources and figure out the combination myself. Kal Tire is also the sole distributor of Nokian Tires in Canada.

If I had to redo it, I would go with the narrower 7.5" wheel to save weight (and if I was sticking with 225 width tires, they would fit better on a 7.5" rim) or stick with 8.5" wheel that I have but go with 245 width tires.

Here are two shots of the wheel/tires on the car.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excellent response! Thank you so very much. When I was 16 years old I had the incredible experience of owning an MGB. It was a wonderful experience driving down the highway and being waved to (and happily returning those waves) from other sports car enthusiasts. You have given me the sense that I am entering another community of car enthusiasts, those lucky enough to acquire an EV6. Thanks again for your generous sharing of your experience.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Excellent response! Thank you so very much. When I was 16 years old I had the incredible experience of owning an MGB. It was a wonderful experience driving down the highway and being waved to (and happily returning those waves) from other sports car enthusiasts. You have given me the sense that I am entering another community of car enthusiasts, those lucky enough to acquire an EV6. Thanks again for your generous sharing of your experience.
You're welcome! I hope your EV6 arrives soon. It will be well worth the wait. With EVs (and hybrids before), there is/was a sense of community as you are/were driving vehicles that are different and technologically advanced.

It's nice to be able to share our new experiences and learn from one another with this new EV.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts