Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a separate thread, @phusebox mentioned a number of known issues.
As a new EV driver, these two stood out although for the money I'm disappointed with the long list:

Live route planning doesn't work if the server is busy.
No planning chargers along the route.

A couple of the issues mention 'server busy' - are Kia incompetent, or aren't they read for people spending 40k+ on one of their products?

No doubt someone will suggest using ABRP or some other app-based navigation method. But that is the answer if I bought a Ctroen Ami; it is not acceptable for this class of car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a potential U.S. buyer, I’ll be following this thread closely. It’d be useful to know the incidence rate as well; is the software poor for everyone all the time? Or does it work fine for some people but is bad for others?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a potential U.S. buyer, I’ll be following this thread closely. It’d be useful to know the incidence rate as well; is the software poor for everyone all the time? Or does it work fine for some people but is bad for others?
This is the full list from the other thread:
Scheduled heating not working most of the time.
Heating might or might not work while driving.
Voice commands don't work regularly because the servers are busy or can't connect.
Car might nog go into drive or reverse some of the time (called zombie mode). It might not even lock or when that happens.
Scheduled charging issues as you mentioned.
Charger port not opening or closing can occur sometimes.
Rear middle seatbelt warning keeps beeping if there are people in the back but no one is sitting in the middle.
Might be more... This just from the top of my head.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Another one to keep track of is the high speed charging curve. It can be erratic, and not provide full speed charging, possibly due to battery temp management. Some have also had issues with power being limited after full speed charging, presumably due to high battery temps. Hopefully Hyundai/Kia can and will tweak this and provide charging updates.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On a separate thread, @phusebox mentioned a number of known issues.
As a new EV driver, these two stood out although for the money I'm disappointed with the long list:

A couple of the issues mention 'server busy' - are Kia incompetent, or aren't they read for people spending 40k+ on one of their products?

No doubt someone will suggest using ABRP or some other app-based navigation method. But that is the answer if I bought a Ctroen Ami; it is not acceptable for this class of car.
I think you should wait to get an EV for a few years. New technologies take awhile to become reliable. There are lots of nice options for live route planning and at least we will be able to start our cars if there is a server outage, unlike Tesla owners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you should wait to get an EV for a few years. New technologies take awhile to become reliable. There are lots of nice options for live route planning and at least we will be able to start our cars if there is a server outage, unlike Tesla owners.
I know a lot about new technology thanks, and I simply don't expect a company in 2021 to be releasing something with basic flaws in it. It's not as if this is their first EV, they've got 2 others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have to point out that "Tesla owners being unable to start/drive their cars" during the recent server outage is just simply false and the headlines on this are highly misleading. I own a Tesla (and am seriously considering an EV6 for the family's second EV to replace our last remaining ICE within the next 2 years) and we had no issues driving our car during the server outage.

To clarify, the server outage did disable the ability for our app to connect to the car via the internet, so we could not remotely unlock, set charging and temperatures, track the car etc. on our phone remotely using the internet. However, things like proximity unlocking (unlocking the car using the included car key, or using the phone app by walking up to the car), and the ability to start and drive the car using the card or phone key was unaffected and worked just fine. These do not require an internet connection to function as the car key uses NFC, and the phone app key uses your phone's Bluetooth (and NFC as a backup). We were driving our Tesla during the outage just fine.

Also, EV tech is quite mature and ready. KIA and Hyundai aren't new to the EV game, however they are implementing a lot of tech (and software) that is new to them in the IONIQ 5 and EV6 so some teething pain is expected. I would say, the list of issues, while concerning and disappointing, do seem like they are problems with the software itself, just bugs and glitches so hopefully can be addressed with further OTA updates and will mature. I'll be keeping a close eye on it too, as so far I'm really liking the EV6.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think we should separate issues with the car vs. issues with the App. I think the car is fabulous and whilst not prefect it's better than all others I've owned. The Kia Connect App on the other hand is really very poor. I'm fistly amazed they released it and secondly amazed it's come from Germany. The German developers I've worked with would not find it acceptable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well having looked into this, I think the biggest problem is the contradiction in the Kia product range. The top of the range e-Niro 4+ has all sorts of gadgetry on board for a price far less than the EV6 Air or even GT Line. All the dealers in the UK appear to have been sent a GT Line S but the next shipment arriving is all GT Line. So do I wait or or do I buy...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think we should separate issues with the car vs. issues with the App. I think the car is fabulous and whilst not prefect it's better than all others I've owned. The Kia Connect App on the other hand is really very poor. I'm fistly amazed they released it and secondly amazed it's come from Germany. The German developers I've worked with would not find it acceptable.
That's unfortunate. I've never used KIA or Hyundai's app to be honest so I have no experience. I like Tesla's app quite a bit, I was looking for a similar if not better, level of experience with KIA/Hyundai's offering.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's unfortunate. I've never used KIA or Hyundai's app to be honest so I have no experience. I like Tesla's app quite a bit, I was looking for a similar if not better, level of experience with KIA/Hyundai's offering.
I really hope they have sorted it out by the time you get the EV6 in Canada, as it is nowhere near Tesla, sorry to say. It's very very laggy.... like don't send two commands within 2 minutes. Quite often it says it's started climate control and then comes back with a problem. The status is so laggy it's next to useless. I actually walked back to my car as it said it wasn't charging and it was charging fine. There's quite a long list of issues.

I have found a way to force the update. In the App you can request a refresh of data... then you need to not just exit the App but dump the App... IE Force close. Wait 10 seconds and restart it. It worst but it's crap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know it’s a new model (and there are usually one or two issues) but the list of things with the EV6 is making me nervous. I’ve had Lexus cars for years (everything just works but I do buy brand new every 12-18 months) so moving to a new brand that’s has teething problems is a bit worrying. Hopefully, by the time mine arrives in April things will be more settled.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The more I look at the Kia software the worse it gets. It does not even put the right keyboard up to log in. I must say I am surprised you think German software developers are any good, when I was at IBM they were considered a joke, and this awful example of their software does nothing to dispel that view.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have to point out that "Tesla owners being unable to start/drive their cars" during the recent server outage is just simply false and the headlines on this are highly misleading.
It's amazing what people believe from "news" outlets these days. I barely believe a word they write.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Today I tried putting some "favourite" locations into Navigation. I was quite surprised the system would only let me enter 3. In my Ford I could enter over 20. Is this just finger trouble by me? Or has anyone found a way to put in more than 3?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just my $0.02. Teslas were designed from the ground up to meld software and vehicle, and it's been over a decade since they started work on the Model S. It's not surprising their software/apps have a headstart on others - look at how much better iPhones were than Androids for years.

But one of the two main reasons I'm preferring a non-Tesla is that they don't have the decades of vehicle interface design that the old school manufacturers have. Button placement & feel, etc. In a Model Y I'd have to look towards the giant tablet to find out how fast I'm going, change climate controls, volume, etc.? No thanks. And I just don't find voice controls reliable enough and they require a surprising amount of concentration (eg: "what's the correct phrase to do this again, so it's actually recognized?")

So Kia's behind in their app / software. It's unfortunate, and we should definitely press Kia to do better, especially since it's easier to update software than where a physical button is in a car. Tesla can't "OTA update" their build quality or a new button into the dash or a speedometer behind the steering wheel. Every single vehicle out there makes compromises, and for me anyways, I'm anticipating this to be the right compromise.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their struggles, it helps to prep for the eventual arrival of my car, and my priorities may differ from yours. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just my $0.02. Teslas were designed from the ground up to meld software and vehicle, and it's been over a decade since they started work on the Model S. It's not surprising their software/apps have a headstart on others - look at how much better iPhones were than Androids for years.

But one of the two main reasons I'm preferring a non-Tesla is that they don't have the decades of vehicle interface design that the old school manufacturers have. Button placement & feel, etc. In a Model Y I'd have to look towards the giant tablet to find out how fast I'm going, change climate controls, volume, etc.? No thanks. And I just don't find voice controls reliable enough and they require a surprising amount of concentration (eg: "what's the correct phrase to do this again, so it's actually recognized?")

So Kia's behind in their app / software. It's unfortunate, and we should definitely press Kia to do better, especially since it's easier to update software than where a physical button is in a car. Tesla can't "OTA update" their build quality or a new button into the dash or a speedometer behind the steering wheel. Every single vehicle out there makes compromises, and for me anyways, I'm anticipating this to be the right compromise.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their struggles, it helps to prep for the eventual arrival of my car, and my priorities may differ from yours. :)
This is my attitude too. Despite some issues this is by far the best car I have ever owned and I get more from it than cars I have paid nearly twice as much for. The car is GREAT... It can be frustrating to find out that your new toy isn't perfect but it's a wonderful machine even with the issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts