Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about setting the charging times and departure times.

I have no TOU so I don't have "off-peak" scheduled.

When I plug in the charger, it will start charging immediately even if the charging time is shorter than the departure time.

For example if I set it for 8am the next day (and I'm annoyed you have to choose the day of the week, rather than simply let it figure out it's for "tomorrow" but that's another thread for another day), and I plug it into a public charger in the afternoon while shopping, it will start charging immediately. I don't even have to press the "charge now" button.

And so the behaviour repeats at home. What's the point of setting a departure time if the car will charge immediately anyway? Won't that mean the car will sit at the target SOC overnight? (and while it's ok for 80%, what if I charge to 100% for a road trip? I prefer if it finishes just before the set departure time rather than overnight and sit full for several hours).

What am I doing wrong?

Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
What am I doing wrong?
Worrying about this 馃檪

I mean this respectfully of course. Occasionally sitting at 100% for hours or even a few days isn't going to kill your battery. The software does what it does, just work with it. And what if there's a power outage or some other interruption and you needed that charge but didn't get it because there was no time buffer? This was the probably deemed the best compromise design by the developers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worrying about this 馃檪

I mean this respectfully of course. Occasionally sitting at 100% for hours or even a few days isn't going to kill your battery. The software does what it does, just work with it. And what if there's a power outage or some other interruption and you needed that charge but didn't get it because there was no time buffer? This was the probably deemed the best compromise design by the developers.
Fair enough. I suppose because my previous PHEV would start charging such that it鈥檒l finish 30 mins prior to departure, I thought an EV would do the same.

But you make a good point. An EV doesn鈥檛 have a backup while a PHEV does if the power goes out in the middle of the night.

Registered
EV6 GT-Line (AWD) White
I have a question about setting the charging times and departure times.

I have no TOU so I don't have "off-peak" scheduled.

When I plug in the charger, it will start charging immediately even if the charging time is shorter than the departure time.

For example if I set it for 8am the next day (and I'm annoyed you have to choose the day of the week, rather than simply let it figure out it's for "tomorrow" but that's another thread for another day), and I plug it into a public charger in the afternoon while shopping, it will start charging immediately. I don't even have to press the "charge now" button.

And so the behaviour repeats at home. What's the point of setting a departure time if the car will charge immediately anyway? Won't that mean the car will sit at the target SOC overnight? (and while it's ok for 80%, what if I charge to 100% for a road trip? I prefer if it finishes just before the set departure time rather than overnight and sit full for several hours).

What am I doing wrong?
Yes there is a weird KIA logic going on... that you must set a departure time for any of the scheduled things to work.. this makes sense when taking about sheduled climate.. but not for charging, as it seems to be dictated by the off-peak setting.. and you cannot just keep the sheduled charging without setting an off-peak setting also.. but it kinda works within most usecases

Oh and my car randomly forgets the schedules... anoying as the prices are sometimes very high here at daytime :(

Registered
It's not only the annoying departure time to set a charging schedule, but it plainly forgets the whole setting all the time. Not just that you can plug the AC charger in and it just starts, but the off peak times is gone aswell. Oddly enough the departure time itself is kept.

I am starting to think it's all reset if you change driver profile, but I am not entirely sure. I do think it has forgotten the setting even without a change.

But why in the bleeding hells does driver profile affect the charging schedule? It's the same car and battery dammit!

Bad logic, very stupid result. They should split departure and charging. At least make a charging schedule independent on departure times and have a checkbox for "override schedule to make sure battery is charged at departure" for the departure part.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My old Prius PHV has a charging schedule and it doesn鈥檛 require it to be on if I want to do a single charge schedule (I just make a new one without select a day of the week and it does it and turns off once that time has passed). I can make as many schedules as I wanted with or without climate, all on the same screen. The EV6 requires a different menu for climate and off-peak charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts