Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
GT Line AWD should have got a heat pump
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have done 2000 miles on my EV6. I’m going to collect my mats that I’m being charged for on Monday. The things that are currently annoying me are:

I have to charge daily (AWD GT Line 77.4kWh) due to me doing 140 motorway miles per day. I get home on around 30% which won’t take me to work and back again. I would fill up my Toyota petrol hybrid every other day which now seems more convenient. I will start parking somewhere with electric charging at my workplace which may help the situation and also reduce costs, providing I can get a space.

The charging cables. So I’m storing the 3 pin plug cable in my house as I can’t see me ever needing this. The equally heavy standard charging cable that I use daily at home is placed into my boot, but it makes a lot of noise moving around in the boot as I’m driving. Maybe I shouldn’t be so lazy and keep it in the bag, but dark, stormy weather and rushing with two children in the mornings I’m not so inclined to want to do that! Wish it had some kind of box within the boot space?

I picked the car up on Jan 31st 22 and it hasn’t been washed yet. The Matt grey hides dirt well, and it’s been too rainy to justify washing it, but I’m also scared about what is going to happen to the paint. I’ll try a touch less car wash possibly tonight. Fingers crossed. Any info on practical ways to wash this finish, advice welcome!

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
228 Posts
That's very cool that you can now use an EV for that long commute. Must save you £50 per day?? Are you enjoying the "smart cruise control"?

Some thoughts:
- Obviously it's hard to find a downside to free charging at work. Even a slow level 2 charger would get you at least 20 miles per hour of charging. About the cables - I'm wondering why are you bothering to take them with? They wouldn't be needed at any charging station on the road.

- Keeping the matte finish in reasonable shape is what I've been obsessing with for ours. My understanding (not based on experience) is that a touchless carwash works in part by using stronger chemicals which might damage the matte finish. It might be better to just hose it off until you can give it a good wash. And aim to put a ceramic protective coating on it ASAP. A detailing shop might charge something like £800 (?) to wash it thoroughly and apply a couple of coats of CQuartz UK or Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating. A ceramic coating would go far to protect it in between washings (with a Matte paint washing solution of course :)

Enjoy your car

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I’ll have to go somewhere decent won’t I for cleaning once Eunice has passed by. How often would you say the coating needs to be done?
Yes I do enjoy the adaptive cruise. I tend to use it every day even on A roads. This morning I was putting hand cream on and the car told me off for not having my hands on the steering wheel lol. The car was keeping in lane itself and it was a clear stretch, but at least I know now not to play games :)
You are so right I don’t need the cables in the car do I. Ok so I’ll leave them back at home. Wish I’d got a tethered home charger now but it’s all a bit of guess work with a first EV.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Telluride and 2022 KIA EV6 GT-Line First Edition
64 Posts
So I have done 2000 miles on my EV6. I’m going to collect my mats that I’m being charged for on Monday. The things that are currently annoying me are:

I have to charge daily (AWD GT Line 77.4kWh) due to me doing 140 motorway miles per day. I get home on around 30% which won’t take me to work and back again. I would fill up my Toyota petrol hybrid every other day which now seems more convenient. I will start parking somewhere with electric charging at my workplace which may help the situation and also reduce costs, providing I can get a space.

The charging cables. So I’m storing the 3 pin plug cable in my house as I can’t see me ever needing this. The equally heavy standard charging cable that I use daily at home is placed into my boot, but it makes a lot of noise moving around in the boot as I’m driving. Maybe I shouldn’t be so lazy and keep it in the bag, but dark, stormy weather and rushing with two children in the mornings I’m not so inclined to want to do that! Wish it had some kind of box within the boot space?

I picked the car up on Jan 31st 22 and it hasn’t been washed yet. The Matt grey hides dirt well, and it’s been too rainy to justify washing it, but I’m also scared about what is going to happen to the paint. I’ll try a touch less car wash possibly tonight. Fingers crossed. Any info on practical ways to wash this finish, advice welcome!
I got a service memo from KIA corporate with my matte grey that says specifically to not use car washes. It is not just the touch versus touchless that is the concern. The other concern is chemicals, specifically waxes or rinse aids. Most every car wash uses these chemicals which will coat the paint and make it shiny. I would not use a car wash. They say to hand wash and there are specific washes you can buy for matte paint.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thank you! I’ll have to go somewhere decent won’t I for cleaning once Eunice has passed by. How often would you say the coating needs to be done?
Yes I do enjoy the adaptive cruise. I tend to use it every day even on A roads. This morning I was putting hand cream on and the car told me off for not having my hands on the steering wheel lol. The car was keeping in lane itself and it was a clear stretch, but at least I know now not to play games :)
You are so right I don’t need the cables in the car do I. Ok so I’ll leave them back at home. Wish I’d got a tethered home charger now but it’s all a bit of guess work with a first EV.
I'm thinking Eunice must be your mother-in-law? ;)

The products I mentioned suggest using a quick "touch-up" spray every 4-6 months after a wash to keep the coating intact, resulting in a 2-3 year effective lifespan. A full re-coat after that should be relatively easy. Dr. Beasley's also sells a 5-year coating which is essentially a thicker product. Another common product, which is a fav on this forum is CeramicPro. They sell a 5-year warrantied ("silver") treatment and a lifetime warranty treatment ("gold"), but each of these requires coming in yearly for touch-ups (I think these annuals are at no xtra cost). Of course the prices on the longer-lived products are higher.

My EV6 is very communicative, and would be annoying if not so useful:
-Did you really mean to leave your phone in the charger?
-You forgot to lock me up (again)!
-Pay attention to the road dammit!
And when I pull into the garage - a very tight fit - it about has a stroke and beeps until its hoarse

Curious what you mean by tethered home charger? Hard-wired as opposed to plug into a wall outlet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a service memo from KIA corporate with my matte grey that says specifically to not use car washes. It is not just the touch versus touchless that is the concern. The other concern is chemicals, specifically waxes or rinse aids. Most every car wash uses these chemicals which will coat the paint and make it shiny. I would not use a car wash. They say to hand wash and there are specific washes you can buy for matte paint.
Thank you for that. I’ll avoid washing it at all. When I collect my much-needed matts on Monday I will ask for some solid advice at the showroom. All I’ve had so far is a vague instruction to use a microfibre cloth. I obviously don’t want to be getting my own hands dirty so I need third party services. Maybe one of those on the drive valet people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The products I mentioned suggest using a quick "touch-up" spray every 4-6 months after a wash to keep the coating intact, resulting in a 2-3 year effective lifespan. A full re-coat after that should be relatively easy. Dr. Beasley's also sells a 5-year coating which is essentially a thicker product. Another common product, which is a fav on this forum is CeramicPro. They sell a 5-year warrantied ("silver") treatment and a lifetime warranty treatment ("gold"), but each of these requires coming in yearly for touch-ups (I think these annuals are at no xtra cost). Of course the prices on the longer-lived products are higher.

And when I pull into the garage - a very tight fit - it about has a stroke and beeps until its hoarse

Curious what you mean by tethered home charger? Hard-wired as opposed to plug into a wall outlet?

It’s a ferocious storm in the UK named Eunice. She needs to disappear so I can clean my car..

Also how do we clean the wireless phone charger??

Tethered I believe is the name we have for a wall outlet with a cable permanently attached to it. The socketed option was just the wall outlet. I have a BP socketed option and use the cable that came with the car. Also some of our supermarket and car park free chargers actually require your own cable so I guess I do need to carry mine around after all if I want to capitalise on these.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tethered I believe is the name we have for a wall outlet with a cable permanently attached to it. The socketed option was just the wall outlet. I have a BP socketed option and use the cable that came with the car. Also some of our supermarket and car park free chargers actually require your own cable so I guess I do need to carry mine around after all if I want to capitalise on these.
Gotcha... Mostly we would need the cables for campgrounds and the like where there are sockets for RVs, or perhaps a hotel or restaurant when desperately seeking electrons.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm getting mine ceramic coated at a local car detailer.

Probably end up jet washing on low power at home, but will ask the detailer on advice.

I wouldn't take it to any "valet" car washers as they will probably squirt a load of nasty chemicals all over it and they rub it to death trying to dry it out and ruin the matte finish.

Yes, Matte paint is a bit of a faf, but I like it.

I obviously don’t want to be getting my own hands dirty
Maybe it si time to train the kids :D

Reactions: CarlaEV6

·
Registered
3 Posts

Try putting your cables in the little boot under the bonnet. Works perfectly for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts