Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading the Ioniq 5 is more comfortable, but what does this actually mean? I drove the I5, it's fine (the AWD has some mean acceleration which I will never use!). I have a family, 2 young kids, so I prefer a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. But the I5 has become a hassle (the trim and engine I want basically don't exist in the US). I don't have the opportunity to test drive an EV6. Is it noticeably less comfortable?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't think so driving the UK version. Less open and airy interior but that's clear from pictures. I drove an EV6 with bigger wheels than the ioniq tried and it was a little firmer but both are great. Went for EV6 due to spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The main difference in comfort is the suspention. EV6 is firmer and Ioniq 5 is more trimmed towards a smooth ride. The rest is basicly the same. Seats are super comfortable in both and they are both very quiet.

The EV6 is by no means uncomfortable, but if you switch from an I5 to an EV6 the difference is quite noticable. Its still comfortable, its not even close to a "real" sports car. But if you drive on bad roads and want your kids to sleep the I5 might be a better option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I drove an I5 prior to driving/getting the EV6, I don't feel there is a significant difference in the 'comfort' of the ride. Both the I5 and my EV6 have AWD and 19 inch wheels/tires. BUT there was a couple of weeks between the test drive of the I5 and picking up the EV6 so my comparison is totally from memory. If there was something that made my wife and i pass on the EV6, I would have purchased an I5.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My comparison from memory is that the interior of the I5 feels more maneuverable. In the EV6 driver’s seat, you are in that seat turning to reach things in the back seat, you get kind of held in place by the console. Reaching to the glovebox is a similar stretch. The I5 has the floating console so you can move back and forth between the front seats if you want, and the roof feels taller and more spacious (though technically I think it isn’t by the numbers)

I also have the GT-line EV6 though, and the sunroof does eat a lot of headroom, so that might be a big contributing factor to my impression.

If four adults are off to dinner somewhere, nobody’s going to complain about getting in the back of your EV6, but their feet will fit better in the I5.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
709 Posts
I keep reading the Ioniq 5 is more comfortable, but what does this actually mean? I drove the I5, it's fine (the AWD has some mean acceleration which I will never use!). I have a family, 2 young kids, so I prefer a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. But the I5 has become a hassle (the trim and engine I want basically don't exist in the US). I don't have the opportunity to test drive an EV6. Is it noticeably less comfortable?
Comfort is subjective. The I5 is more spacious inside, and the suspension is tuned a bit "softer" - I found that it felt "floaty." Some people find this "more comfortable" but I find I am most comfortable with a sportier suspension and handling because I trust the car's reactions to my inputs more.

Long and short - you'll feel bumps slightly more in the EV6.

BTW, I am loving the suede in the EV6. I like the look and maintenance of leather-like surfaces, but the suede is grippy without needing big seat bolsters, is warm in winter, and I'd assume is cooler in summer. But comfort is subjective :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Comfort is subjective. The I5 is more spacious inside, and the suspension is tuned a bit "softer" - I found that it felt "floaty." Some people find this "more comfortable" but I find I am most comfortable with a sportier suspension and handling because I trust the car's reactions to my inputs more.

Long and short - you'll feel bumps slightly more in the EV6.

BTW, I am loving the suede in the EV6. I like the look and maintenance of leather-like surfaces, but the suede is grippy without needing big seat bolsters, is warm in winter, and I'd assume is cooler in summer. But comfort is subjective :)

This is a good point about suspension - I'm not huge on floaty suspension, at least as the driver. I like feeling the road. My passengers (wife and 2 young kids) may disagree, but considering our current car is a very bumpy 2013 Honda CRV, I don't suppose they'd mind either!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My comparison from memory is that the interior of the I5 feels more maneuverable. In the EV6 driver’s seat, you are in that seat turning to reach things in the back seat, you get kind of held in place by the console. Reaching to the glovebox is a similar stretch. The I5 has the floating console so you can move back and forth between the front seats if you want, and the roof feels taller and more spacious (though technically I think it isn’t by the numbers)

I also have the GT-line EV6 though, and the sunroof does eat a lot of headroom, so that might be a big contributing factor to my impression.

If four adults are off to dinner somewhere, nobody’s going to complain about getting in the back of your EV6, but their feet will fit better in the I5.
Thanks, this is a useful observation. My current car is a 2013 Honda CRV, and I like the lack of a sunroof and that the material in the top half is a light beige rather than a darker color. Makes it feel airy and spacious. The GT-line only seems have to have darker interiors from the windows up. To me that makes it feel more claustrophobic. Did you find this to be the case?

·
Registered
377 Posts
To me that makes it feel more claustrophobic. Did you find this to be the case?
I do think so, yeah. It doesn’t bother me at all, coming from a 3 series with a small cabin and low sporty driving position. But if I were trying to buy a family car for kids, I’d strongly lean I5 even though the EV6 is perfectly serviceable on paper. The lighter interior, especially with the full glass roof on the limited, feels much more open.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
Short answer: The comfort level is pretty much the same in both cars, which means very, very comfortable. In terms of comfort, both cars drive like a luxury sedan. Soft enough to absorb the bumps, but still glued to the road and begging you to twist it around the corners.

I intended to buy the I5, test drove it, and eventually bought the EV6. Why? The I5 is more of a family car, the EV6 is sportier, and my little kids are all grown up and after 25 years of buying family-sized cars I wanted something fun to drive.

With 2 young kids, I would buy the I5. While both cars have VERY comfortable rides, the i5 cabin feels larger. There's slightly more room in the trunk. If you get the panoramic glass roof, it feels even bigger and the kids will probably love it. It might even delay "Are we there yet?" by 2 or 3 minutes. I doubt you would regret purchasing either car (they're honestly very similar in the ways that count), but I think the I5 is a better fit for a family with young children.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
709 Posts
The GT-line only seems have to have darker interiors from the windows up. To me that makes it feel more claustrophobic. Did you find this to be the case?
Not in the front, but I do find the back to feel a bit "cave-like." Kid loves it though.

With 2 young kids, I would buy the I5. [...] but I think the I5 is a better fit for a family with young children.
I have two young children and bought the EV6, FWIW. The rear-facing car seat fits incredibly well (it legit doesn't fit in most SUVs such as a Volvo XC60 - the front seat has to be so far forward there's no room for legs!). The older kid's forward facing seat puts him far enough back of my 6'0" seat positioning that his feet are free to swing. This is much better than our sedan, which has a long wheelbase and more leg room than most SUVs, but still a little cramped with the giant car seats. I'd say that door frame height is a bit tight for the baby carrier, that would be one advantage of the Ioniq 5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts