Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just got my EV6 Light on 5/1/2022, and right now I have a little bit over 1000 miles on it. When I charge the car to 100% it only showed estimate rate of 205 miles, see picture. It seemed like the battery is already degrade 12%. Do you know if it will be able to recapture more mileage when I have more miles on the vehicle, or it will only get lower mileage going forward?

I drive about 120 miles each day for work and I have been charging it at Chargepoint at 6kW per hour. I drive on the Eco mode and the estimate mile appear to be for Eco mode.

Just want to see if anyone have any suggestion or take on why the vehicle is not getting 232 miles at 100% charged.

Appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks
George

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Font

Registered
Yeah you can鈥檛 base degradation on estimate range. You鈥檒l have to actually measure the amount of electricity going into the battery. Range is going to change based on driving speed, terrain, traffic, road surface conditions, weather, temperature (this is a big factor), tire pressure, climate control settings and more.

Also, it鈥檚 recommended to charge to 80% for daily use (but the owners manual does say charge to 100% once a month). I suppose if you鈥檙e doing 120 miles, you鈥檒l need the full range. Or at least until 90%.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone for commenting on my question.

I am currently at 3.3 Mi/KW. and I thought I was driving pretty slow. I am mainly using the HDA to drive the freeway. I am going from Orange County to San Diego at a speed of 75 mph.

Thanks
George

Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue

I am currently at 3.3 Mi/KW. and I thought I was driving pretty slow. I am mainly using the HDA to drive the freeway. I am going from Orange County to San Diego at a speed of 75 mph.

Thanks
George
Highway speeds are far less efficient. I average about 3.3 mi/kWh myself and I'm usually driving around 66-77. You haven't lost any battery capacity, the estimated range has just lowered to reflect your actual driving habits.

Registered
75 miles per hour on the highway is what's killing your range - computer sees this and adjusts the guess-o-meter accordingly. After about 55mph the curve for energy use vs speed goes crazy in that it takes a huge amount of energy to cut through the air vs a small increase in speed.

actual battery degradation can only be measured if you have the proper scan tools linked up to the car to measure nominal capacity/voltage/input. You would only (maybe) see 12% after 100,000-200,000 miles.

You will see the guess-o-meter doing the same thing during winter as well or any kind of bad weather driving, estimated range will go down as conditions exist.

Registered

Thanks
George
I believe the estimated range that Kia advertises is based on 3.6mkw. They get that number in their own optimal conditions with whatever mix usage they come up with. Wind/Speed/Driving style/Tires/Temperature = all affect range. I would say that the only way to verify that you battery is truly degrading is to use proper scan tools linked to a car. With that said - these things aren't cheap, you have your warranty on it....sooooo....if you have a concern you can always have Kia go and run the scan. I don't see any harm in taking that route.

Registered
Welcome to mileage reality. Check out this link from TheDriverDownload...

Registered

Thanks
George
That鈥檚 actually decent efficiency especially given the speeds. You鈥檙e doing pretty well.

The problem I see with range estimates that manufacturers are putting out is that it鈥檚 a combined number. There鈥檚 no city/hwy number like regular cars or even hybrids. So you鈥檇 imagine that a highway range will be lower than that and the city range will be higher than that.

3.3mi/kWh X 58kWh = 191 miles so it鈥檚 still showing a slight overestimation at 205 miles.

Registered
75 miles per hour on the highway is what's killing your range - computer sees this and adjusts the guess-o-meter accordingly. After about 55mph the curve for energy use vs speed goes crazy in that it takes a huge amount of energy to cut through the air vs a small increase in speed.

actual battery degradation can only be measured if you have the proper scan tools linked up to the car to measure nominal capacity/voltage/input. You would only (maybe) see 12% after 100,000-200,000 miles.

You will see the guess-o-meter doing the same thing during winter as well or any kind of bad weather driving, estimated range will go down as conditions exist.
Yep like one that I have see pic:
Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Handwriting Vehicle

Registered
The other things to try are: Check tyre pressures and if driving at motorway speeds, turn off the iPedal mode and either use the coasting mode or the autoregen mode. 55 degrees is also still a bit cold. Your range will automatically increase particularly into the 70s.

Registered
I drive about 120 miles each day for work
I thought I was driving pretty slow.
I am going from Orange County to San Diego at a speed of 75 mph.
Your definition of pretty slow would appear to be prime issue here.

Registered
Thats not a 120 mile one way trip thats about 70 - 80 mile one way trip. I am sure you are charging car while at work. I am in San Diego and their are a ton of charging stations down here to charge car while working and maybe your work has some set up. Try driving with no HVAC and drive the speed limit of 65mph and turn on cruise that will boost your distance in time.

So reset your trip computer so it will reset to the full estimate then log how you are driving and do that for about a week and see how it goes.

Banned
Alarmist thread titles...smh.

Best to understand how GOM works first before claiming degradation with 4-5 charge cycles (which wouldn't happen to any notable degree no matter what charge scenario you put it through)

Registered
I started out my reply horrified at that indicated range number before I realized it's a Light. I think I agree with everyone - I wouldn't be super concerned. Taking the numbers at face value, 4*58=232, meaning the Light's nominal rated efficiency is 4mi/kWh. It's unclear whether 58 is usable capacity or gross capacity, all we know is that those two numbers are a couple percent apart from each other, so let's just assume being conservative 58 is actual usable. If you're getting 3.3mi/kWh in real-world usage, that's 82.5% as efficient as the EPA rating measured, so there's your difference as @KiaevCan notes.

Oh and I should add - @Neils EV6 posted a screenshot of Car Scanner Pro, which is probably what you want if you want to check for yourself. Compatible bluetooth OBDII dongles are like $30-50. "Battery state of health" is what you're interested in. It should be pretty on the money if you've recently had a full charge cycle, i.e. recently came close to zero and more importantly recently charged to 100%. If SOH reports 100% but your GOM guesses way low, it's because your average efficiency in the last however long hasn't been up to EPA rating. Of course, there are plenty of reasons for THAT that could be vehicle faults and not just driving style, like low tires, failing AC pump, faulty air shutters, etc etc etc. But I don't bet any of that applies in your case.

You can reset the guess-o-meter manually. What is your MI/KW number mine is 4 MI/KW.
Can you? How? Asking for a.. me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts