Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
English Translation:
Kia announced that the long-range rear-wheel-drive model equipped with the EV6's 77.4kWh battery has a mileage of up to 475km( 295 miles)certified by the Ministry of Industry. This is the standard when 19-inch tires are selected. In addition, the certified value of the 19-inch tire long-range four-wheel-drive model is up to 441 km/274 miles, and the standard rear-wheel-drive model is up to 370 km/229 miles.

The mileage of the EV6 is slightly longer than that of Hyundai's Ioniq 5. In the case of the Ioniq 5, the long-range 2WD model is 429 km/266 miles, which is 88.5% of the EV6 of the same specification. The long-range four-wheel-drive model 390 km/242 miles and the standard rear-wheel-drive model 342 km/212 miles are also shorter than the EV6. The biggest reason is the difference in battery capacity, and the Ioniq 5 is equipped with a 72.6kWh battery, which is 6.6% smaller than the EV6.

The EV6, unveiled for the first time in the world in March, is equipped with a unique and dynamic design that reflects Kia's new design philosophy 'Opport United', as well as various advanced electric vehicle-specific technologies and driving performance represented by high-performance GT models.

On the other hand, Kia plans to hold a pre-order week starting on the 21st of this month for EV6 pre-orders. Customers who have not made a reservation in advance can pre-order from the 28th at Kia sales bases nationwide.

Article: 기아 EV6, 최대 475km 달린다…아이오닉5보다 46km 길어

·
Registered
67 Posts
English Translation:
Kia announced that the long-range rear-wheel-drive model equipped with the EV6's 77.4kWh battery has a mileage of up to 475km( 295 miles)certified by the Ministry of Industry. This is the standard when 19-inch tires are selected. In addition, the certified value of the 19-inch tire long-range four-wheel-drive model is up to 441 km/274 miles, and the standard rear-wheel-drive model is up to 370 km/229 miles.

The mileage of the EV6 is slightly longer than that of Hyundai's Ioniq 5. In the case of the Ioniq 5, the long-range 2WD model is 429 km/266 miles, which is 88.5% of the EV6 of the same specification. The long-range four-wheel-drive model 390 km/242 miles and the standard rear-wheel-drive model 342 km/212 miles are also shorter than the EV6. The biggest reason is the difference in battery capacity, and the Ioniq 5 is equipped with a 72.6kWh battery, which is 6.6% smaller than the EV6.

The EV6, unveiled for the first time in the world in March, is equipped with a unique and dynamic design that reflects Kia's new design philosophy 'Opport United', as well as various advanced electric vehicle-specific technologies and driving performance represented by high-performance GT models.

On the other hand, Kia plans to hold a pre-order week starting on the 21st of this month for EV6 pre-orders. Customers who have not made a reservation in advance can pre-order from the 28th at Kia sales bases nationwide.

Hmm interesting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that these numbers are in line with the EPA standard. I saw earlier a targeted mileage of 265, and this exceeds that target.

The unofficial mileage according to WLTP standard is 510 km (316 miles) for the 77.4 kWh RWD and 490 km (304 miles) for AWD. The mileage of the GT model is expected to be quite a bit shorter. I guess that power does come with a cost.

Overall I think it sucks to have multiple standards for the EV mileage. Just pick one, perhaps a combination of two numbers to cover the mileage with four passengers in warm / cold conditons with some 60 miles per hour speed. Only an idiot doesn't get that higher speeds / weights consume more, and lower speeds / weights consume less. Moreover, mild conditions increase the range as you don't need cabin warming / cooling that much.

Personally, I would love to have a well standardized & specified graph to cover it all, but I get that it might be a bit too much for "average joe".

·
Registered
Any BEV
14 Posts
I think that these numbers are in line with the WPA standard. I saw earlier a targeted mileage of 265, and this exceeds that target.

The unofficial mileage according to WLTP standard is 510 km (316 miles) for the 77.4 kWh RWD and 490 km (304 miles) for AWD. The mileage of the GT model is expected to be quite a bit shorter. I guess that power does come with a cost.

Overall I think it sucks to have multiple standards for the EV mileage. Just pick one, perhaps a combination of two numbers to cover the mileage with four passengers in warm / cold conditons with some 60 miles per hour speed. Only an idiot doesn't get that higher speeds / weights consume more, and lower speeds / weights consume less. Moreover, mild conditions increase the range as you don't need cabin warming / cooling that much.

Personally, I would love to have a well standardized & specified graph to cover it all, but I get that it might be a bit too much for "average joe".
I agree, there are too many standards, even the EPA standard has two different testing methods that get different results. I find the WLTP results to be the most consistent, however, it does need an adjustment as the ranges are "optimistic."

I don't know if you would be able to have enough graphs to cover it all, there are way too many variables. Living in L.A., it is the perfect environment for EVs - I have never turned on the heat in my car; hardly ever use A/C; being able to reach 60 mph on a freeway is "high speed"; I don't do quick accelerations (most times); mostly regen to slow down/stop; and typically either sole occupant or with a 60 lb. kid. I easily beat EPA & WLTP ranges but don't expect that is the norm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, there are too many standards, even the EPA standard has two different testing methods that get different results. I find the WLTP results to be the most consistent, however, it does need an adjustment as the ranges are "optimistic."

I don't know if you would be able to have enough graphs to cover it all, there are way too many variables. Living in L.A., it is the perfect environment for EVs - I have never turned on the heat in my car; hardly ever use A/C; being able to reach 60 mph on a freeway is "high speed"; I don't do quick accelerations (most times); mostly regen to slow down/stop; and typically either sole occupant or with a 60 lb. kid. I easily beat EPA & WLTP ranges but don't expect that is the norm.
Of course a set of graphs would not cover everything imaginable, but they would provide a more realistic picture of the situation with a particular EV. It would also make it easier to estimate the true range for just about any nominal driver and make it easier to compare different models over multiple manufacturers on paper when selecting the best candidates for you.

I live in southern Finland, which also comes quite close to optimal environment for EVs apart for the maximum of three true winter months. I currently use Kia EV Niro whose WLTP range is 455 km (282 miles), and driving in a city conditions with a maximum of 50 mph will provide about 10% more range over WLTP. Nominal country roads with 50-60 mph speeds yields WLTP +- 5%, and highways with 75 mph yields about 20% below WLTP range. I always use all driving assistants starting from adaptive cruise control with nominal cabin temperatures and most use regen to slow down. The range estimate provided by the car is typically spot on apart from the first few miles of the trip. Far more reliable than the one of my previous diesel cal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
English Translation:

I think that these numbers are in line with the EPA standard. I saw earlier a targeted mileage of 265, and this exceeds that target.

Of course a set of graphs would not cover everything imaginable, but they would provide a more realistic picture of the situation with a particular EV. It would also make it easier to estimate the true range for just about any nominal driver and make it easier to compare different models over multiple manufacturers on paper when selecting the best candidates for you.

I live in southern Finland, which also comes quite close to optimal environment for EVs apart for the maximum of three true winter months. I currently use Kia EV Niro whose WLTP range is 455 km (282 miles), and driving in a city conditions with a maximum of 50 mph will provide about 10% more range over WLTP. Nominal country roads with 50-60 mph speeds yields WLTP +- 5%, and highways with 75 mph yields about 20% below WLTP range. I always use all driving assistants starting from adaptive cruise control with nominal cabin temperatures and most use regen to slow down. The range estimate provided by the car is typically spot on apart from the first few miles of the trip. Far more reliable than the one of my previous diesel cal.
I think you all are pretty spot on but going back to what @Mosko006 says this has been going on for a few months already. Time to set aside the favorable reviews and/or teaser videos and release models to bonafide review sources so they can rate or ascertain true specs. Just a few on EUR/US locations like Car and Driver, Insideeevs/Out of spec, Rsymons just to name a few who will all gladly give a fair shake while pointing out how the EV6 meets/exceeds EPA/WLTP standards. Kia has already advised all models will not be released outside of Korea, and we are now getting deluged with VW, Ford, Volvo etc TV advertisements and many if not most have released vehicles for outside testing. Here we are relegated instead to discussing. Time to get off the pot IMHO

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you all are pretty spot on but going back to what @Mosko006 says this has been going on for a few months already. Time to set aside the favorable reviews and/or teaser videos and release models to bonafide review sources so they can rate or ascertain true specs. Just a few on EUR/US locations like Car and Driver, Insideeevs/Out of spec, Rsymons just to name a few who will all gladly give a fair shake while pointing out how the EV6 meets/exceeds EPA/WLTP standards. Kia has already advised all models will not be released outside of Korea, and we are now getting deluged with VW, Ford, Volvo etc TV advertisements and many if not most have released vehicles for outside testing. Here we are relegated instead to discussing. Time to get off the pot IMHO
If you want to improve mileage, just go for 19-inch wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts