Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for sharing, tried it out a little while ago and can confirm it worked. Lots of info in the engineering mode but didn't come across any hidden features or anything except for what looked to be a screen capture mode, presumably for sharing bug reports.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its precisely not intended for consumer usage, its only for kia service technicians, but personally, as someone who works in tech, I just like to be able to poke around and know what hidden information or settings are available.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It can be interesting as a tech to check for some options to enable/disable or change some limits..
But it requires caution, In renault some people wrecked their car and has to re-install software to get their navigation working again.

Since the car more and more relies on software it means the impact of wrecking such a system becomes bigger. Altough interesting it is also tricky..

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,540 Posts
There are ways through the engineering mode that various android settings can be changed and such to allow you to install third party apk's for youtube and other applications. All of this is well documented on various online forums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are ways through the engineering mode that various android settings can be changed and such to allow you to install third party apk's for youtube and other applications. All of this is well documented on various online forums.
Can you show where this is documented? I will get my EV6 tomorrow and as I am a developer this is very interesting to me!

·
Registered
658 Posts
The thing I'm absolutely most interested in is figuring out if there's a way to make US-spec cars roll UP the windows with the key fob. In Europe, holding unlock rolls the front windows down, holding lock rolls them up. In the US, only the down direction works, I guess because Americans can't be trusted with things that close on their own. In BMW land, it's possible to change the setting to match european-spec by coding - I'd kill for that with my EV6.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 1965 Ford F-100
36 Posts
Anyone confirmed how to enter engineering mode on USA EV6 models? the 7-3-1 sequence doesn't seem to work for me.
I managed to piece it together last weekend. Turn radio to FM, volume to 2. Go to settings -> general, go to the software info tab. Tap 6 times just to the left of the Update button, then twice to the right of it. That should bring up a password prompt, 2702 worked for me to get engineering mode.

I was also able to get ADB working. Go to the Module Info menu, hit Next twice to go to page 3. Then tap 5 times in the lower right corner of the screen and an ADB entry should appear in the left menu. You can then enable ADB over USB. This will switch the USB—A port from host to device mode. I made a USB A-to-A cable by cutting two USB cables and soldering the 4 wires inside together, matching colors. I was then able to connect my laptop and run "adb shell". Once you have a shell you can just run "su" to get root.

I was able to side load apps with ADB but the system is Android 4.4 so app choices are limited. I'm planning on hacking on it some more this weekend. First goal is to take an image of the software and establish some method of unbricking it should I mess it up. After that all bets are off, but one of my first goals is wide-screen android auto support. 😎

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
324 Posts
I managed to piece it together last weekend. Turn radio to FM, volume to 2. Go to settings -> general, go to the software info tab. Tap 6 times just to the left of the Update button, then twice to the right of it. That should bring up a password prompt, 2702 worked for me to get engineering mode.
Fantastic work, but you skipped a step in the instructions. After setting the volume to 2, you must press the right rotary button. At least in my car that's necessary.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 1965 Ford F-100
36 Posts
Fantastic work, but you skipped a step in the instructions. After setting the volume to 2, you must press the right rotary button. At least in my car that's necessary.
I didn't find that to be the case. This is a different method than the "7-3-1" method. It wasn't the sequence of buttons that mattered, it just wouldn't respond to the series of taps next to the update button unless the source was set to FM and volume to 2.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I was also able to get ADB working. Go to the Module Info menu, hit Next twice to go to page 3. Then tap 5 times in the lower right corner of the screen and an ADB entry should appear in the left menu. You can then enable ADB over USB. This will switch the USB—A port from host to device mode. I made a USB A-to-A cable by cutting two USB cables and soldering the 4 wires inside together, matching colors. I was then able to connect my laptop and run "adb shell". Once you have a shell you can just run "su" to get root.

I was able to side load apps with ADB but the system is Android 4.4 so app choices are limited. I'm planning on hacking on it some more this weekend. First goal is to take an image of the software and establish some method of unbricking it should I mess it up. After that all bets are off, but one of my first goals is wide-screen android auto support. 😎
This is super exciting, can't wait to see your results

·
Registered
658 Posts
the system is Android 4.4
Good god, and it has a cell modem! Live! All the time! This frightens me deeply.

Killer work though. If you happen upon a simple way to enable all-window-and-sunroof-roll-up on USA cars, I'd love to hear it. I'm assuming it'll be a can bus project though since not even international cars roll the back windows/roof.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Im having issues with my information system,. I get a warning for HDA or lane assist and them y screen stops working. I have used a paper clip to rest it and it works for a few minutes and stops. Sometimes the the touch screen stops working. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hopefully it can shed some light on why the Meridian system sounds so underpowered
Actually I was JUST thinking last night- the system has grown on me a lot. The one thing that’s super weird and off putting is that the mids and bass don’t even show up to the party until like vol 45+. The balance at higher volume I think is actually decent, but there’s just nothing there if you aren’t rocking out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts