Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Tesla over the weekend with my son. The recent price cut, $7500 fed tax credit, $4000 Illinois offering, along with the new model Y updates (suspension and battery) I thought it would be a no brainer. As we were waiting for the Model Y demo to arrive my son sat in one on the show room, he ended up finding video games that require you to utilize the steering wheel in the racing games, searched and watched his favorite YouTube videos, the sales rep even let him design the car on the monitor. I loved his choice. Red exterior, black rims, white interior. And guess what!, there was one in inventory at the Chicago location. I went ahead and did the trade-in appraisal on the EV6. Offer was decent. $46-$49k but couldn’t conclude offer until I was closer to finalizing.
Model Y demo arrived, when I sat in it, the seat felt obnoxiously too high even in the lowest setting, the seat also felt really narrow. My butt Was resting on the side bolsters (I’m a pretty thin guy). I took it out for a spin and I will admit, it is night and day different from the 2022 model Y, pretty quiet and not as harsh over imperfect roads. Wind noise was a bit high though. After the test drive I wanted to take the EV6 out on the same route. Once I sat in it the cockpit, it felt much more open, even though I was in a Tesla for only 20 minutes, I instantly missed the gauge cluster the actual buttons, and lastly the EV6 felt like I was in a Lexus LS460 floating on a cloud. The model Y is neat, and I love Elon. But the differences are just too obvious. I couldn’t do it. Tesla couldn’t get me out of my EV6. When I was home that night I remembered, the EV6 has a vehicle to load and Tesla doesn’t. :( sorry Elon. Someday I will own a Tesla. Just not today.

· Registered
106 Posts
...... Wind noise was a bit high though. After the test drive I wanted to take the EV6 out on the same route. Once I sat in it the cockpit, it felt much more open, even though I was in a Tesla for only 20 minutes, I instantly missed the gauge cluster the actual buttons, and lastly the EV6 felt like I was in a Lexus LS460 floating on a cloud. The model Y is neat, and I love Elon. But the differences are just too obvious.
One of the things I LOVE about the EV6 is how whisper quiet it is and how smooth and plush the ride.

· Registered
EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
83 Posts
I love my EV6, but after tagging along to take delivery of my brother's Model Y, I wish the EV6 sound system was just 10% as good as the MY's system. It makes our system sound like a toy. I usually never praise stock sound systems, but Tesla really hooked up their fans in a huge way. But I agree on all your other points.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my EV6, but after tagging along to take delivery of my brother's Model Y, I wish the EV6 sound system was just 10% as good as the MY's system. It makes our system sound like a toy. I usually never praise stock sound systems, but Tesla really hooked up their fans in a huge way. But I agree on all your other points.
I’m interested on your thoughts between your EV6 and your brothers model Y. If you could do it over again would you still go EV6?

I agree 100% I blasted the volume In the model Y and I forgot what a good sound system sounded like.

· Registered
41 Posts
I’m still waiting for my EV6 (order in Sept), so I had to look at the Y again when the price dropped. Aside from the rice being so much nicer in the Ev6, I can’t stomach getting the Y now that it no longer has the parking U/S sensors and no longer has rear cross-traffic detection (which I think has been missing since they got rid of radar). My son will also be driving this and I can’t believe these basic features are missing…and there’s no way to know when, or truly IF, they’ll be restored with vision-based software. … so I’m still waiting for my EV6 rather than ordering the Y.

· Registered
135 Posts
Interesting info! I decided to rent a new Model Y performance from Turo for a weekend coming up from Saturday to Monday. That should give me a better idea how's it stacks up against my EV6 FE.

· Registered
346 Posts
I’m interested on your thoughts between your EV6 and your brothers model Y. If you could do it over again would you still go EV6?

I agree 100% I blasted the volume In the model Y and I forgot what a good sound system sounded like.
The dealer software updated my stereo but didn't sound much better. Feels like a missed opportunity given how quiet the car is.

· Registered
83 Posts

If I had to start from scratch I would still choose the EV6 over the MY LR, even if both were priced the same. I think it looks better (except for the rear end), much comfier ride for the family, better interior, quieter, and performs almost as well except for on the freeway. The torque/power you still get on the freeway with the MY is impressive and it wasn't even the performance model.

But the Tesla MY LR has 4 huge advantages over the EV6: Range, Autopliot, Charger Network, and Sound System. If any of those are must haves then I think its a no brainer. I don't know why so many folks have such a hatred for Tesla the vehicle. There's gotta be a reason why I see so many of them at work, at the mall, at the grocery store, at the post office, at the funeral home, etc.

God dang does that system sound so good for stock, seriously I think KIA needs to learn how to make their 14 speaker system at least sound decent. I had to spend an arm and a leg to replace the Meridian crap.

· Registered
83 Posts
You MUST blasted the volume in a Model Y to overcome the road noise that makes it's way into the cabin. :ROFLMAO:
Lol, not at all, that system in the MY is on point even at high freeways speeds. Good systems don't hurt your ears when turned up loud. No matter how quiet the EV6 is, even if it was dead silent the Meridian system would still be garbage.

· Registered
65 Posts
Meridian subwoofer is underpowered, replacing it with an active subwoofer fixed all my car sound issues.
How easy was that?
Like, how much did it cost to buy and how long to install?

· Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
771 Posts
How easy was that?
Like, how much did it cost to buy and how long to install?
Less than $100 for the amplifier, a wood board and a 15 Amps cigarette plug from Amazon. See this tread. If s not hard to ok install, but I had to solder some wires

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, Snow White Pearl
119 Posts
Went to Tesla over the weekend with my son. The recent price cut, $7500 fed tax credit, $4000 Illinois offering, along with the new model Y updates (suspension and battery) I thought it would be a no brainer. As we were waiting for the Model Y demo to arrive my son sat in one on the show room, he ended up finding video games that require you to utilize the steering wheel in the racing games, searched and watched his favorite YouTube videos, the sales rep even let him design the car on the monitor. I loved his choice. Red exterior, black rims, white interior. And guess what!, there was one in inventory at the Chicago location. I went ahead and did the trade-in appraisal on the EV6. Offer was decent. $46-$49k but couldn’t conclude offer until I was closer to finalizing.
Model Y demo arrived, when I sat in it, the seat felt obnoxiously too high even in the lowest setting, the seat also felt really narrow. My butt Was resting on the side bolsters (I’m a pretty thin guy). I took it out for a spin and I will admit, it is night and day different from the 2022 model Y, pretty quiet and not as harsh over imperfect roads. Wind noise was a bit high though. After the test drive I wanted to take the EV6 out on the same route. Once I sat in it the cockpit, it felt much more open, even though I was in a Tesla for only 20 minutes, I instantly missed the gauge cluster the actual buttons, and lastly the EV6 felt like I was in a Lexus LS460 floating on a cloud. The model Y is neat, and I love Elon. But the differences are just too obvious. I couldn’t do it. Tesla couldn’t get me out of my EV6. When I was home that night I remembered, the EV6 has a vehicle to load and Tesla doesn’t. :( sorry Elon. Someday I will own a Tesla. Just not today.
I don't think that build would qualify for the tax credit. With red paint, white interior and black wheels you will be over the $55k threshold. I built my build, adding only grey paint (I cannot recall if there is a charge for that) and the tow package, and it comes in just under $55k. I would choose the black wheels but that puts it over. Something that could be solved aftermarket. But I decided I prefer my EV6 anyway so I am sticking with it as well.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think that build would qualify for the tax credit. With red paint, white interior and black wheels you will be over the $55k threshold. I built my build, adding only grey paint (I cannot recall if there is a charge for that) and the tow package, and it comes in just under $55k. I would choose the black wheels but that puts it over. Something that could be solved aftermarket. But I decided I prefer my EV6 anyway so I am sticking with it as well.
The model that was available had 7 seats, which allows it to qualify for the $7,500

1 - 20 of 25 Posts