Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT S line arrived 21/01/22
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understood that a full charge would get approximately 520km . I’m only getting around 430 range at 100%. Anyone any idea why . I have everything turned off when I check .
Light Product Rectangle Font Automotive lighting
Light Product Rectangle Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's based on previous driving style so your max range will change depending on how you drive.

Reactions: twcz3 and JayEM

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just like in a normal petrol/diesel car, the size of the fuel tank doesn't determine the range so it's no different in an EV. Fuel economy (mpg in non-EV) is about how fast you drive, how hard you accelerate, etc. Nothing has really changed in that respect.

You Kia has a certain battery size (fuel tank) but that is only a part of what determines your maximum range. The rest is down to your car guessing how you drive based on previous performance and giving you an estimate. If you do some slightly longer journeys at a more constant speed you will find your range will go up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I fill my car with diesel or petrol it will indicate the max range it will take me . I understand that if I drive at an average speed of 130km/hr I won’t achieve this - I get that . But it still says the max distance is ‘X’ . Surely the same applies here if I fully charge the battery the max distance should say 520 Km. if I drive in sport mode all the time I won’t achieve this - I get that , but after a full charge it should say 520km that’s one of its key selling points- the max range .

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I fill my car with diesel or petrol it will indicate the max range it will take me . I understand that if I drive at an average speed of 130km/hr I won’t achieve this - I get that . But it still says the max distance is ‘X’ . Surely the same applies here if I fully charge the battery the max distance should say 520 Km. if I drive in sport mode all the time I won’t achieve this - I get that , but after a full charge it should say 520km that’s one of its key selling points- the max range .
I would say it's not listing max range, but rather an estimated range based on your driving habits.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would say it's not listing max range, but rather an estimated range based on your driving habits.
So I guess my follow up question would be to those that already have the car and some driving experience with it...Can you set the car to always list your max range when you charge up instead of defaulting to the behavior of your last drive?
If I'm taking a long road trip I'm depending on knowing the maximum I can get from the car. On long road trips you'd also have to drive more conservatively to help the range out. But if I took a couple of joy rides on sport mode recently and then I'm going on this long trip. I wouldn't want the joy ride trips to decrease the max range just because those were my recent driving habits. Can someone elaborate further on this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My palisade does this. If I drive a lot of highway, I’ll show about 400 after fill up. If I recently drove a lot of city, it shows low to mid 300’s. Doesn’t mean that’s my actual range, but the estimated range based on previous driving habits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My palisade does this. If I drive a lot of highway, I’ll show about 400 after fill up. If I recently drove a lot of city, it shows low to mid 300’s. Doesn’t mean that’s my actual range, but the estimated range based on previous driving habits.
So exactly how does the EV6 determine the range based on ‘driving habits’? If I drive 80% at 40km /hr and 10% at 60km /hr and 10% at 130km/hr - what is the logic used to determine my range next time I charge ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you want a fresh start, with no previous driving habits factored or estimated...can that be done? Can you hit a reset button somewhere that tells the car I want to default back to the factor setting or something like that? I'd hate to be stuck with past driving habits forever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
...if you want a fresh start....with no previous driving habits factored or estimated...can that be done? Can you hit a reset button somewhere that tells the car I want to default back to the factor setting or something like that? I'd hate to be stuck with past driving habits forever.
That’s the question if the range being displayed is based on some algorithm that determines what the max range is based on how you drive the car. If you drive or differently will the actual range you get be different to that displayed ? Otherwise this is crazy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That’s the question if the range being displayed is based on some algorithm that determines what the max range is based on how you drive the car. If you drive or differently will the actual range you can get be different to that displayed ? Otherwise this is crazy.
Yeah, I get your point/question @Gilgm but what I'm asking for is a bit different. I do want to hear the answer to the "algorithm" question you're asking for. But separately, I also want to know if you can get the car to just reset to day one...before any driving habits were developed for the algorithm. So if this morning I was leaving on a long road trip I would like to hit a reset or default button that sets the car back to 274 max miles range (top range for AWD)...instead of using the algorithm the car has developed (regardless of what that is) via driving habits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That’s the question if the range being displayed is based on some algorithm that determines what the max range is based on how you drive the car. If you drive or differently will the actual range you get be different to that displayed ? Otherwise this is crazy.
how is that crazy? quite a few other EVs are doing the same besides Tesla which always makes you happy when it's charged and then you got disappointed because it will never achieve what you were told. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
Around town may be less millage, like with ICE cars the higher miles per gallon is not driving around town.

The millage the manufactures quote is in my experience impossible to achieve.

I normally take the manufactures figure and take 10 to 15% off that figure to get a ideal of what could be achieved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do explain how I achieve the max advertised range of the Kia EV6 ?
50mph or slower non-stop, no rain, no wind, no traffic, no passengers, not cold, tires in good condition, low to no AC fan speed. Short distance kills the range because battery works the best in good temp. Battery is battery and it does lose charge when sitting. My personal experience from owning Tesla for 5 yrs.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
88 Posts
Reactions: Gilgm and JayEM

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you want a fresh start, with no previous driving habits factored or estimated...can that be done? Can you hit a reset button somewhere that tells the car I want to default back to the factor setting or something like that? I'd hate to be stuck with past driving habits forever.
That was possible on my iPace. It was something like “press both pedals for X seconds, press the start button, then release.” I can’t recall for certain if it was that but there can’t be many variations with 2 pedals and a start button.

I used to do it for a short period after I first got the car then stopped bothering.

There is probably some similar thing for the EV6 to allow dealers to hand over the car with a healthy looking range.

I think the percentage battery remaining is more accurate and therefore more useful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's easy.

First ensure that your car meets all the preset criteria for the WLTP test procedure, then carry out all the drive cycles as laid out for WLTP testing, and you should get the same figures. :ROFLMAO:

John.
Absolutely - and thats why real world range will always be 20% or so lower than WLTP (same as for ICE cars) and winter range likely to be another 20% off. The caveat to that - and I've explained why in a number of posts - is that the greater the %age of miles you do outside towns the further away from WLTP you will be - EVs are simply more efficient and give greater range in urban environment

[edit] and this is why as things stand the EV6, and frankly any other EV, is not right for me at the moment. I live in the sticks just over the Welsh border and I reckon max 5% of my miles could be classed as urban - hence best range i would expect to see, in particular because it's hilly as round here, is 210 miles or so

·
Registered
154 Posts
That was possible on my iPace. It was something like “press both pedals for X seconds, press the start button, then release.” I can’t recall for certain if it was that but there can’t be many variations with 2 pedals and a start button.

I used to do it for a short period after I first got the car then stopped bothering.

There is probably some similar thing for the EV6 to allow dealers to hand over the car with a healthy looking range.

I think the percentage battery remaining is more accurate and therefore more useful.
That's interesting @arnsbrae. I didn't know that about the IPace. So it would be good to know if/how this can be achieved on the EV6.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts