Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't run into this before, so hoping it's a setting I'm missing. I'm on a roadtrip to California and it's underperformed for charging. 123kw at a previous station, now only 60kw before moving to another charger and getting 90kw at another location. This was with 28% plenty in the battery. Previous HI5 was getting a lot more and I've never had this issue before. Charge limit was set to 100% this morning, now adjusted to 90%. What am I missing?

· Registered
342 Posts
Haven't run into this before, so hoping it's a setting I'm missing. I'm on a roadtrip to California and it's underperformed for charging. 123kw at a previous station, now only 60kw before moving to another charger and getting 90kw at another location. This was with 28% plenty in the battery. Previous HI5 was getting a lot more and I've never had this issue before. Charge limit was set to 100% this morning, now adjusted to 90%. What am I missing?
Temperature?

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
618 Posts
How do you know the car is only requesting 60 kW? Do you see the car's request on the charging station's screen? Or better yet, are you getting that from OBD2 data?

Ideally you (& any other serious EV owner) should get an OBD2 adapter so you can see battery temps and voltage/charging amperage. Please report back once you can get some actual battery temperature data because the most likely cause is a cold battery.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you know the car is only requesting 60 kW? Do you see the car's request on the charging station's screen? Or better yet, are you getting that from OBD2 data?

Ideally you (& any other serious EV owner) should get an OBD2 adapter so you can see battery temps and voltage/charging amperage. Please report back once you can get some actual battery temperature data because the most likely cause is a cold battery.
I have OBD2. Could've been cold battery, but I had traveled for 2 hours for the first stop. And 2 for each subsequent stop. I'll plug in the OBD2 for the ride back. After just two miles for my first charge today after leaving the hotel, I pulled 47kw, EAv reset the charger and now I'm pulling 97kw. Even after 5 minutes.

Who knows, maybe it's cold gating.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, just stopped at a 350. Ambient temp is 62. This after 130 miles of travel at interstate speeds. Batt min is 86, Batt max is 96. All in Fahrenheit. Best I'm doing is 140kw.

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line
13 Posts
Ok, just stopped at a 350. Ambient temp is 62. This after 130 miles of travel at interstate speeds. Batt min is 86, Batt max is 96. All in Fahrenheit. Best I'm doing is 140kw.
Are there any other folks their charging as well - it could be network throttling as well…

Even with that being said, I think the chances of us getting the claimed charging speeds/times are very low due to the array of requirements that need to be met to achieve them.

· Registered
2023 GTL-AWD
13 Posts
Are there any other folks their charging as well - it could be network throttling as well…

Even with that being said, I think the chances of us getting the claimed charging speeds/times are very low due to the array of requirements that need to be met to achieve them.
Yup, agreed, several variables need to be met to achieve the 200+KW charge rate.

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
618 Posts
Once you get battery preconditioning it should be relatively easy to hit max speeds. I got 233 kW max on a preconditioned EV6. However, when I plugged in, I only got 190 kW since my battery min temp was 20°C.
In total, it took 19 minutes to go from 20% to 85%. So I was around the advertised 18 minutes but I started from a higher state of charge.

A quick video I made of the charging session is below.

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-line AWD
65 Posts
Assuming you have been using EA chargers. You haven't specified which generation you've been stopping at. If they've been the newest EA rollout hyper fast units, EV owners are sometimes reporting disappointing results using them. If you're sharing power with an adjacent dispenser power will be reduced. In very cold conditions they have not worked at all. EA derates some, so it's probably a hit or miss situation. Jtespi had very good results using the older ABB dispensers, which are almost always dependable.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once you get battery preconditioning it should be relatively easy to hit max speeds. I got 233 kW max on a preconditioned EV6. However, when I plugged in, I only got 190 kW since my battery min temp was 20°C.
In total, it took 19 minutes to go from 20% to 85%. So I was around the advertised 18 minutes but I started from a higher state of charge.

When did you get battery preconditioning? I didn't think it was out yet for the EV6. Glad to see it for the RWD...

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Assuming you have been using EA chargers. You haven't specified which generation you've been stopping at. If they've been the newest EA rollout hyper fast units, EV owners are sometimes reporting disappointing results using them. If you're sharing power with an adjacent dispenser power will be reduced. In very cold conditions they have not worked at all. EA derates some, so it's probably a hit or miss situation. Jtespi had very good results using the older ABB dispensers, which are almost always dependable.
It's been a mix of new and old. After reading a few posts and thinking about it, I think I was cold gating. When I upped my speeds and tried to do a little accelerate/decelerate just prior to charging, I saw better, but still muted results (130s to 140s).

I did notice poorer charge rates at the newer model EA chargers.

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
618 Posts
When did you get battery preconditioning? I didn't think it was out yet for the EV6. Glad to see it for the RWD...
I have a 2023 EV6 which came with preconditioning from the factory. It works great except if you use the Kia Access app to change the max charge level percentages, battery preconditioning mode will be disabled (unchecked). You have to check before each road trip or DCFC just to be sure.

· Registered
2023 GTL-AWD
13 Posts

Hello, sure want to thank you for this video. For those of us new to the EV world and soon to venture out on a trip with free EA charging time, it means a lot. Took a bit of phone wrangling to get the procedure to begin at the EA chargers, and yet to try it, but believe it will all be well. I will say all the acronyms require me to go to google to learn their meanings.
cheers,
Bill

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
618 Posts
Hello, sure want to thank you for this video. For those of us new to the EV world and soon to venture out on a trip with free EA charging time, it means a lot. Took a bit of phone wrangling to get the procedure to begin at the EA chargers, and yet to try it, but believe it will all be well. I will say all the acronyms require me to go to google to learn their meanings.
cheers,
Bill
Thanks! Which initialisms/acronyms were you unsure about? I didn't think I included that many. ABB is a company name and their product is called Terra HP (HP stands for High Power).

· Registered
2023 GTL-AWD
13 Posts
Thanks! Which initialisms/acronyms were you unsure about? I didn't think I included that many. ABB is a company name and their product is called Terra HP (HP stands for High Power).
Over the coupla months I have been involved, several have had me looking...most recent was DCFC...which after googling it...is level 3 fast charging. I have sure enjoyed all the learning on this forum and extremely happy with my/our choice of EV. Been pleasantly surprised several times most recently with the charge curve for the EV6. But since I have learned from others in this thread of the variables associated with obtaining that 200+KW rate such as ambient/battery temps and number of vehicles at the station. Sure woulda thought EA would have taken into consideration having a number of cars charging at the same time allowing higher charge rates...eh. And the comment of charging at earlier designed stations relative to newer stations...would not have thought this would be true. Oh well...

Bill

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind RWD + Tech
618 Posts
most recent was DCFC...which after googling it...is level 3 fast charging.
Oh okay, well DCFC stands for DC Fast Charging or DC Fast Charger depending on the context. Honestly, I'd prefer if the "levels" of charging went away forever. It's far better to just call it AC or DC charging; especially since in the US almost zero public AC chargers use 120 V.
Also our electrical system is 120 and 240 V not 110 and 220 V; it has been 120/240 nominal for the last 50+ years.

But since I have learned from others in this thread of the variables associated with obtaining that 200+KW rate such as ambient/battery temps and number of vehicles at the station.
Yes, there are a lot of variables and E-GMP cars' battery chemistry causes them to "coldgate" pretty hard whenever battery temps are below 15°C. So using preconditioning is a must during any kind of cool weather. Even if your battery minimum temperature is 10°C, you'll hit a limit of around 60 kW.
However, when our cars' batteries are warm and the charging station is working great, our cars have ludicrously quick charging. Holding 144 kW at 80% is unheard of in any other vehicle except maybe Lucid Air, which is >$100k.

I saw an F-150 Lightning charging at only 12 kW at a dealership CPE-250 (ChargePoint Express 250, max output 62 kW) in its final 10% (90 to 100% SoC). Only 12 kW! Our cars can still take 27 kW at 98%. That's really insane in a good way.

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line
13 Posts

Definitely acknowledge that it is possible, but even with pre-con, i am not convinced it is consistently achievable due to the variability of the charger networks here in the U.S.

· Registered
2023 EV6 GT Yacht Blue
425 Posts
Unfortunately it is a much or often more the charger itself limiting the charge rate. I have had one charger at a location only give, 45Kw, moved over to another (no way battery temp changed etc) and had it over 130.

EV6 built after July 2022 are supposed to have preconditioning from factory. I know my 2023 does.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts