Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, The EV6 will be my first car with a smart key. My dealer wasn't sure but did recommend I keep the keys in a faraday box / pouch to prevent relay theft. Is relay theft likely to be an issue with the EV6 and if so, can anyone recommend a key pouch and box?

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
lots on eBay if you search for "smart key faraday protection box".

We don't keep our keys near the front door. Professional thieves do use directional transmitters but the other side of this is if they want the car that much they will break in with menace. If that happens give them the keys and a quick tour around the car.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
44 Posts
lots on eBay if you search for "smart key faraday protection box".

We don't keep our keys near the front door. Professional thieves do use directional transmitters but the other side of this is if they want the car that much they will break in with menace. If that happens give them the keys and a quick tour around the car.
That's why the Faraday bag is kept on the hall shelf - Easily accessable, without me having to be dragged out of bed!

John.

Reactions: jongodfrey

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep my spares in faraday bags. Tonnes to choose from on Amazon. My daily keys I put into sleep mode so they can’t be scanned but a press of any button wakes them up. Most, if not all, car keys can be put into sleep mode with a series of button presses. Worth asking Kia if their keys can be put into sleep mode.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I keep my spares in faraday bags. Tonnes to choose from on Amazon. My daily keys I put into sleep mode so they can’t be scanned but a press of any button wakes them up. Most, if not all, car keys can be put into sleep mode with a series of button presses. Worth asking Kia if their keys can be put into sleep mode.
@KIA_Genius_Niall ??? Any idea on the security offered with Kia keys?
I can't be bothered with faraday bags and boxes and it's one thing that was great with a Telsa OTA update...Pin2Drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Think this is one of the areas that the Genesis GV60 has the advantage.... Face Recognition to get into the car, and fingerprint reader to start the car!

I use a Faraday Pouch that I got on Amazon. Works a treat. Check Amazon - Brand: Todoxi - Sold by: SHYDER - "2 Pack Small Faraday Pouch" for 6.99 GBP and Prime next day delivery!

The EV6 key fits snugly into the pouch - and as you get two pouches: One for the spare as well!

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is a known issue and Kia were most stolen cars in 2020 due to fact they did not have immobilizers on their cars by default.
Would have expected that with state of the art EV6 they fixed the issue as BMW, mercedes and volvo have fixed the issue in 2020...

But assumptions are the mother of all f...ups. Hope they fixed it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted Kia UK and they said:

Thanks for your recent contact.

Kia is deeply concerned about the risk to our customers’ property posed by determined criminals utilising the latest technology to break into vehicles and we are aware that this is an issue across the industry.

Safeguarding the security and safety of our vehicles is crucial to us and we shall continue to develop and update new effective countermeasures against hacking and relay attacks such as ultra-wideband technology, in addition to security features that are already available in some models (motion-sensor fobs).

One action which Kia UK has also taken is offering of Faraday pouches for keyless entry equipped vehicle keys. These are available for customers of new or approved used vehicles, equally they can be bought as standalone items via Kia Dealers.
I followed up to say, I was not offered a pouch and my dealer did not say they were for sale. I have also asked whether the EV6 key is a motion-sensor version.

·
Super Moderator
75 Posts
I have had my keys in a Faraday bag for years, the first cars to be stolen in this method were Range Rovers and I had one, close to where we lived they were stealing 2 or 3 a night using this method.

My current car you can turn off this function, wonder if you can do the same with the EV6

·
Registered
85 Posts
Faraday pouches are not the solution on a brand new car in 2021/22. Motion keys are the solution and should be standard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@KIA_Genius_Niall ??? Any idea on the security offered with Kia keys?
I can't be bothered with faraday bags and boxes and it's one thing that was great with a Telsa OTA update...Pin2Drive.
Hi Desmo,
Sorry for late reply I have been away from work. Unfortunately sleep keys are not a thing for kia at the moment, kia do sell faraday bags as well as them being readily available online. Hopefully an update will be released to combat this.

Niall

·
Super Moderator
75 Posts
Hi Desmo,
Sorry for late reply I have been away from work. Unfortunately sleep keys are not a thing for kia at the moment, kia do sell faraday bags as well as them being readily available online. Hopefully an update will be released to combat this.

Niall
So can you confirm that the car could be subject to a relay key theft without the use of the Faraday or other suitable device when the keys are stored in our homes?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts