Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre ordering the Flagship EV6 GT here in the UK but concerned about the matt steel finish. Can anybody give me some information on what you can and cannot do with regard to washing and cleaning as you obviously cannot polish it which means any very light scratches would need the panel repainted.

If anybody has one in this finish or has info from Kia your comments would be greatly appreciated

Ian

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,467 Posts
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum, have you managed to get a price from your Kia dealer and lead time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pre ordering the Flagship EV6 GT here in the UK but concerned about the matt steel finish. Can anybody give me some information on what you can and cannot do with regard to washing and cleaning as you obviously cannot polish it which means any very light scratches would need the panel repainted.

If anybody has one in this finish or has info from Kia your comments would be greatly appreciated

Ian
Have a Matt/Satin Grey GT Line RWD. Car looks amazing. Owned for 2months driven 2500 miles and (so far) looking good. But today have started to look at PPF paint protection having read more about scratches painel resprays etc. First quote a rather painful £2850+V for whole car.

And apparently can't wrap as it won't hold to a satin paint.

Will let you know what I decide...

Still think the car looks great compared to normal paint though!

M

·
Registered
120 Posts
Someone else posted a treatment for this type of finish maybe on another forum. There is definitely some products out there .

·
Registered
40 Posts
For your information, as an authorised and accredited XPEL dealer, we use exclusively XPEL Paint Protection Film

XPEL 'Bronze' Full Front End Kit - Kia EV6 (2022)

Full Bonnet, Full Front Bumper, Full Front Wings, Headlights & Wing Mirrors
£1,595.00 + VAT

XPEL 'Silver' Performance Kit - Kia EV6 (2022)

Full Bonnet, Full Front Bumper, Full Front Wings, Headlights, Side Sills, Partial A-Pillars, Partial Roof, Rear Arch Covers & Wing Mirrors
£1,995.00 + VAT

XPEL 'Gold' Ultimate Kit - Kia EV6 (2022)

Complete car coverage (all paint, lights & carbon fibre-lacquered panels)
£3,495.00 + VAT (+ complimentary ceramic coating to full exterior paint)

Quotes I got today for a wrap, they stated they have already done 2 Kia ev6 in matte grey

·
Registered
EV6 GT
32 Posts
Pre ordering the Flagship EV6 GT here in the UK but concerned about the matt steel finish.
Congrats, I also pre-ordered the GT in matte grey here over Xmas.

BTW, care has already been covered to a somewhat here:
Matte Paint and I will be sure to order a set of Dr. Beasley’s products before delivery - I have another 12 months...

I'm concerned about general care but also about the effect of salt as I live in Switzerland and we have several weeks of snow and typically roads are sprayed regularly to stop them icing.

Anyway, I'm still happy with my colour choice as always looks great on the pics I've seen so far - here it's the only one option to configure on a GT model 😜

·
Registered
Kia EV6 FE - Silver & Charger
135 Posts
I've been wondering about the wrap - we have some premier shops in Atlanta. Might get the roof done in black for a nice two-tone with the matte silver, depending on cost.

Also a little concerned about care, but the other FE options just didn't work for me (yellow exterior a bit loud, and green interior might not age so well for me).

·
Registered
928 Posts
It’s a big risk to get the Matte grey in my view at this stage. Heard of Audis which were matte coated, being damaged in under a year with bird poop and UK salty roads, and needed repainted panels as damage can’t be polished out as normal. Maybe too much maintenance as Kia suggested to me. Their words were “don’t bother” and I really wanted matte grey. It’s was my first question to them. How much and when can I get one. I was super let down to hear about the paint and it’s upkeep. Such a shame. If you do get it, make sure it's wrapped in clear protective vinyl if it will stick or be ceramic coated to the max!. Else get red and wrap it I think or diff color. And hey, it may be all a little over-exaggerated and be totally fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had matte cars before and matte vinyl wraps, if you look after them and wash them regularly with the recommended products the paint is absolutely fine.

And also just with any car it's good to get the front bumper , bonnet and wings wrapped for that extra protection from stone chips etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for this info. Think I will pass on the matt steel finish. Looks like a headache. FYI my mate is a Kia dealer and when I discussed this with him in the dealership yesterday the GT flagship is only available to order in matt steel, black and white. Bit of a shame that as the other cheaper models are available in 5 colours. Whether that will change in the future he cannot confirm.

·
Registered
EV6 GT
32 Posts
Looks like a headache.
I do think that some consideration is needed before going for matte e.g. having a covered home/work parking, commitment to manually clean car every 1-2 weeks. What I've been struggling with is how to clean the car when travelling further afield e.g. after a few hours on the German Autobahn, which may will mean quickly removing insects, bird droppings and the like before they burn themselves into the matte paint.

I think I've found something; a rechargeable mobile washer, which looks like it could do the trick:
Mobile Outdoor Cleaner OC 3 | Kärcher UK (kaercher.com)

BTW, I've seen it much cheaper than on the Kärcher site itself... Note also that the one linked has 4 litre capacity but there is also a Plus with 7 litre capacity. Both have enough power to wash for up to 15 minutes...

Anyway, I've watched a few reviews on Youtube and it looks promising...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think this might change a few peoples mind on the steel matte finish .........this is from Kia and quite unbelievable in my opinion

"To get the best experience and durability as well as ensure that your EV6 is sharp throughout the car service life, it is important that the paint is properly maintained. You have chosen a color with a matte varnishing, which must be maintained a little differently than a conventional glossy varnishing. Kia therefore recommends that you follow the following tips for maintaining your new Kia EV6.

How to wash your EV6 with matt lacquer. Wash the car with plenty of running water and a soft sponge or cloth. Wipe the car after washing with a microfiber cloth. If there is heavy soiling or dirt stains, these must be rinsed off the car clean, cold water before washing the car.
• Do not wash the car with hot water.
• Do not wash the car in direct sunlight. Use only a car shampoo intended for matt car paints.
• Never use car shampoo containing wax.
• Never wash the car in a car wash that uses brushes.
• Never wash the car in a car wash that uses a steam / hot water cleaner.
• Never wash the car in a wax hall that applies wax.
• Never use a high-pressure cleaner or similar on the car.
• Never use wax on the car.
• Never use polishes on the car.
• Remove contaminants immediately, such as bird droppings and the like when they reach discovered. Remove these contaminants, even if the rest of the car does not immediately needs washing "

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also ceramic pro 9h have a industry coating out for matte paint, as I spoke with the company who have previously wrapped my car . They offer packages for the coating for matte cars and also for the film protection

·
Registered
13 Posts
For your information, as an authorised and accredited XPEL dealer, we use exclusively XPEL Paint Protection Film

XPEL 'Bronze' Full Front End Kit - Kia EV6 (2022)

Full Bonnet, Full Front Bumper, Full Front Wings, Headlights & Wing Mirrors
£1,595.00 + VAT

XPEL 'Silver' Performance Kit - Kia EV6 (2022)

Full Bonnet, Full Front Bumper, Full Front Wings, Headlights, Side Sills, Partial A-Pillars, Partial Roof, Rear Arch Covers & Wing Mirrors
£1,995.00 + VAT

XPEL 'Gold' Ultimate Kit - Kia EV6 (2022)

Complete car coverage (all paint, lights & carbon fibre-lacquered panels)
£3,495.00 + VAT (+ complimentary ceramic coating to full exterior paint)

Quotes I got today for a wrap, they stated they have already done 2 Kia ev6 in matte grey
Hi could you tell me where these quoted figures are for? I'm thinking of having a partial wrap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts