Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on here a while, lots of great content and tip.info, however, I don't think I have ever ran into the answer. My neighbour has an Audi Eton jeep, full fat one. It make what can only be described as a space ship type sound when starting up and driving away, like the USS Enterprise was flying past. This got me thinking, does the EV6 make a noise from the outside while driving, we know the inside does and can be changed, turned off etc but what about outside? is it silent? I couldn't tell when on my test drive of course as I was in the car... :) would be good so people could hear it and not be like a Toyota Prius Taxi which sneaks up on you :p

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,452 Posts
Thought it only made a sound upto a certain speed and stopped after this speed.

Not sure but it may have been around 20 to 30 mph.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,452 Posts
VESS is only active when the speed in below 30 km/h (18.5 mph). And yes you can pull a fuse and disable this safety feature.. :rolleyes: Search the forum.
🤣 Posted at the same time.

As for pulling the fuse, be careful as it could be illegal in your country.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it's annoying. I know plenty of gas cars and hybrids that are just as quiet as electrics. I was walking into work today and heard that sound in the parking garage. Sounds pretty loud. Louder than any gas engine I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the things that drove me insane about the Niro EV was how loud the VESS sound was. Both the spaceship sound below 18mph and the backup beeping. Unfortunately the fuse was tied to a bunch of other things so just pulling the fuse was not an option if anyone was looking to that as a way to stop the sound.

The EV6 is a million times better in my opinion when it comes to VESS. It is not as in your face as the Niro was, however I do still hear it inside the cabin with my windows up.

Sometimes I just want to hear silence and is one of the reasons an EV and I are made for each other.
It bothers me a bit as I do not care for the sound they chose.
I will say the backup sound I do prefer in the EV6 over the Niro. I actually like it.

Let me preface the next part by saying I do not recommend disabling the VESS system. It is meant to warn people in parking lots that a silent vehicle is on the move.
Kia tied the VESS on the EV6 to a single fuse with nothing else attached to it.
I have attached a diagram which shows the location of this fuse. Pulling it stops both forward (up to 25MPH) and the reverse sound.
In my testing I can confirm that pulling this fuse results in NO error codes. The fuse is located next to the Frunk under the hood. I replaced the fuse after testing. :oops:

Again this post is strictly for information purposes only and I do not recommend removing this fuse. I will not be held responsible if you do something as irresponsible as pulling this fuse.
I know that in the Niro forums people went to such lengths as to remove their front bumpers to unplug the speaker to stop this sound.
Just a post to say it doesn't have to be that way with the EV6, if you should chose to do so. As irresponsible as that would be.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts