Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bjorn’s ”arctic circle” test of the EV6 suggests that the fast charging is restricted when the battery is cold - limiting to 40-70kW when battery temp is below 15degC. Bjorn thought that the heat pump (standard fit in Norway) might actually be slowing him down by scavenging too much heat from the battery.

That was done in early Winter in Norway and included charging at night/in early morning - outdoor temps were between -2.5degC and +1degC. Those sort of conditions probably don’t apply to many drives in UK. I’m guessing it is rarely that cold here - at least during the day when most long road trips would be done.

Have any EV6 owners from UK or similar latitudes experienced this sort of slow fast charging themselves? With cars with or without heat pump?

Of course, even if restricted to 70kW charging the EV6 is still charging faster than many of its competition, so this is very much a first world problem!

·
Registered
329 Posts
My only experience is that it charged too fast. I didn't have time to get back with my coffee and it had reached 80%. To be honest there's a bit of YouTube click bait going on with this. I would think Kia will improved the software and sacrifice a little range to pre-heat the battery but in all honesty it changes so damn fast my biggest problem is I had to walk back and move the car from the charge station before I was served my breakfast. In the UK you will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only experience is that it charged too fast. I didn't have time to get back with my coffee and it had reached 80%. To be honest there's a bit of YouTube click bait going on with this. I would think Kia will improved the software and sacrifice a little range to pre-heat the battery but in all honesty it changes so damn fast my biggest problem is I had to walk back and move the car from the charge station before I was served my breakfast. In the UK you will be fine.
Lol - now that is a first world problem!

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was just thinking about a simple work around. With one button you can turn off your climate control 5 minutes before you get to the charger. This will leave heat in the battery. Problem solved.... at least logically. You have plenty of heat in the cabin for five minutes plus heated seats and wheel and once you start charging you can press the same button to turn it back on. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had my car for a month - GT Line RWD. Done 600m but have been always able to home charge with my 7kW or 3-pin charge 2kW. I have done one test locally at a Shell 50kW charger for 5 mins and got an expected 43-47kW speed. I now have the CarScanner app with OBDI connector (as in Bjorns videos) and surprised that my battery is always between 8C and 10C which looks on the low side compared to the temps/speed in his video (speed steps up from 10C 15C 20C 25C). Next time Im on a longer journey will plan to try out a Shell 175kw charger as more opening now within the M25. In summary, not had the need/been able to try super fast/HPC but had no issues with 50kW charging so far. Mark

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gadget Gas Display device

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've also had some strange experience with the HVAC - that I cant reproduce or explain. Sometimes will just be very cold even with Heat on - often after hitting the Front window demist. Seems to fix if I select Auto Climate low or medium. And as per the latest Bjorn video, I also have had 2 times with a strong burning smell (somewhat scary). I have the heat pump specd in my car. Not yet worried enough to return to dealer, but similar sort of experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check this video out. Interesting take on HVAC and fast charging

Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 battery overheating explained - YouTube
Thanks - that is interesting!

I’m guessing the “turn off HVAC so that car can use it to cool battery” only applies to cars with heat pump option?

If so, I wonder if that changes the calculus as to whether the heat pump is worth it in a milder climate such as southern UK? I guess to know for sure we’d need someone to do similar 200kW+ HPC tests on a non-heat pump car? (Bjorn probably won’t be be able to do it as heat pump is standard in Norway.)

I think JonG did some calcs a while back suggesting that the heat pump isn’t worth it in southern UK as there just aren’t enough journeys on cold days when it would really benefit in terms of range or kWh. But if the heat pump option also allows the car to cool battery faster and maintain higher charging rates during summer too, the convenience factor might make it worth it for longer summer holiday / day trip drives?

Certainly feels like some relatively simple software updates could improve the charging experience - what Bjorn suggested, plus running resistive battery heater when navigating to a 100+ kW DCFC to ensure min batt temp above 15degC on arrival.

Hopefully Hyundai/Kia are listening and are prepared to provide updates for their first gen E-GMP cars, despite the lack of OTA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I managed to do a test this afternoon. Not in the same league as Bjorn but at least a UK real world test. I could get to a Shell MFG 150kw charger on the way back home, but battery was still almost 60% full. So I had a go at screen capturing the carscanner stats and tested my XL skills replicating his battery temp and charge rate.

Highlights (this should be a video but I'm not there yet)
  • Took me 22mins from 58% to 80%
  • Battery was cold at the start (8C) and only let me get 43kW, of which 7kW ran the battery heater and 36kW went into the battery
  • took 16mins of charging to get to 15C at which point I got over 100kW with 7kw still heating the battery
  • heater switched off when battery reached 20C (22mins), but at this point I had just passed 80% and it throttled back to 30-40kw
  • I ran on to 95% to see if battery ever exceeded 25C but only reached 24C for battery min
  • Not a realistic test to time the charge up to 95%
Summary
  • Even though it was a 150kW charger (could be that it was shared as others around) it only ever gave me a peak of 110kw
  • Charging speeds up when battery passes 15C
  • Need to start from lower SOC so that when battery passes 20C/25C I am not hitting 80% throttling
  • A long way from 230kW in real world use, but still the fastest I've charged (110kW) and a tough ask starting over half full with cold battery
Any thoughts?
M

(and how do i attached a full screen image? - ah you can right click and open in new tab...)

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Font Gadget Mobile device Communication Device Electric blue

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow - impressive testing!

I think on Excel skills you have Bjorn licked already, tbh. You just need to dedicate your every waking hour to driving random EVs across the country through the night and you too can have your own YT channel!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you have the HVAC on in the car while doing the test? And what was the ambient outdoor temp, roughly?

It does look very similar to what Bjorn reported. Not getting above 110kW could be down to sharing or could be due to the slowdown above 80% SoC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good point. HVAC off all the time. I have a car with the heat pump. Outside temp probably 6-8C in line with the battery as car parked outdoors prior to driving.

Agreed with the sharing or throttling question. May have time next week to test from lower SOC.

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting, I have a Non Heat Pump Car, only picked it up midweek, but we do 50k miles a year, so will do lots of rapid testing, Done 1k miles so far.

So far only used 50kw Rapids, and have found it to be perfect (And by perfect I mean plugging it in at 10% battery, it has pegged the charger at 50k straight away and stayed pegged at 50kw up to 90%. This is with ambient temps of 5c or so, Battery has been between 10 and 14c starting the charge and the battery heater has been cutting in while charging as well

Compared to my previous Hyundai Kona that did have a heat pump using the same chargers at the same temps it only ever got 40 to 44kw from these chargers

Hopefully get it on an Ionity after the weekend and see how it performs,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, Stageshoot, that shows some confidence in the charging speeds. 50k miles a year and 1k miles since midweek! I'm guessing youve already signed up for the Ionity/Kia Charge discount? Kia Charge | Tariffs | Great Britain.

Suspect you will have way more testing data than myself!

M
Yep this is our 8th EV! 260k miles in since late 2015

2x BMW i3 (19kw.batteries!!!!)
1x Renault Zoe
1x Telsa Model 3
3x Hyundai Kona

Now the EV6.. Tend to change every year, as they have been very sought after and its kept depreciation down.

Bit of a data geek so tend to have Car Scanner running in car. Yep have the Ionity package, so think we will be making use of that a fair bit at 25p a Kwh its about the cheapest rapid charging out there now.

Will keep the forum updated with any results we get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What device did you buy for this?
I have a Konnwei OBDII bluetooth adaptor that plugs in the port behind fuse panel and connects to CarSanner app - simialr to this:

But others are available.

I would choose a smaller one now that could stay behind the pop out panel as this requires the cover to be off and always at risk of getting knocked. But works perfectly with the free version of Car Scanner.

M

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's an efficiency comparison test between the EV6 and Mach-e, in relatively cool temps. They went 100km to a charging station and compared how much each car consumed. They were baffled as to why they were getting such poor charge rates in the EV6, and figured it was a bug. As much of a big deal Hyundai and Kia have been making about their charging capabilities, they are going to need to get out in front of this. Winter is about here, so there are probably going to be a lot of disappointed customers if Hyundai/Kia doesn't either fix the issue, or do something to adjust people's expectations.

·
Registered
329 Posts
easy work around. Turn of the HVAC 10 minutes before charging if you are in a rush. Otherwise ignore it and stay warm... or cool if you are somewhere hot. :)

but yes Kai need to deal with this in an update.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
I love this! LOL

hey, your car doesn't charge right...

Had better efficiency AND took THREE MINUTES less time to charge to the same point with a faulty charging system. eyeroll

Looks like the voltage plays a bigger part than everyone thought when it comes to charging. Huh...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts