1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm new to the forum.

I'm curious to hear your experience with pre-ordering the EV6 from your dealer in Canada.

I missed out on the initial 200 reservations back in October. So I contacted and went to my local dealer a few weeks ago and asked to reserve an EV6, as directed by the Kia.ca website.

The dealer couldn't provide much information. They couldn't even enter the pre-order in their ordering system since the EV6 hadn't been added yet.

In any case, they promised to send me a receipt for the $500 deposit required for the pre-order.

When I finally received the receipt/invoice, it was for around $1600. When I called the dealer to ask why, they stated they had included dealer admin fees.

Mt credit card was only charged $500... but I find this lack of transparency a bit alarming. I was never told about or agreed to any dealer admin fees when I placed the pre-order. (Then again, I never asked if there would be any additional fees as part of the pre-order process.)

Anyone else have a similar experience when placing a pre-order for the EV6 through a dealership?

·
Registered
244 Posts
What dealer was this?

Initial reservation holder here, but I did speak with my dealer. They told me $500 doc'n fee and I figured I'd just give them a hard time when it gets closer.

I also put in a deposit on an Ioniq 5, and got a call from the Hyundai dealership I picked same day. I asked them about extra charges, and the conversation when kinda like this:

Dealer: "Yeah, there's a $500 documentation fee"
Robby-D: "Oh, ok, what documentation do I get for that?"
D: "Oh, it's for our documentation, you don't get it."
R: "Why would I pay for your documentation that I don't get? If I'm paying $500 for documentation I expect to get $500 worth of documentation."
D: "It's the documents we need to complete in order to complete the transaction."
R: "Isn't that just you doing business? Why do I need to pay for it? Anyways, tell you what, I'll just go and put in an order with [other dealer nearby]."
D: "Let me talk to my manager and see what we can do, can I call you back?"
[literally less than 5 minutes later]
D: "My manager says we can waive the documentation fee for you. Did you put in an order through [other dealer]?"
R: "No, not yet."
D: "OK, phew. That causes us lots of problems."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey robby-d,

Nice negotiating!

This was with a dealer in the Greater Toronto Area.

I'm inclined to go to another Kia dealer and putting a second EV6 pre-order in, and canceling my first pre-order.

My wife is even considering a Kia hybrid SUV to replace her aging minivan.

Not going to be from this dealership...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

New here and looking at selling my 2017 F150 Limited to get an EV6 sometime mid 2022. I am actually holding out to see if any incentives pop up at the provincial level (Ontario) before making the plunge. I have converted all my power equipment to battery and have no longer have dino fuel in my home (well, except for the gas used for heating). Last step is my vehicle.

Really sucks to hear that dealers are still trying to scam people. As someone in their mid-50s who has bought numerous new cars, I have no patience for it. My last 5 vehicles have been purchased over the phone, documentation completed by email, with whichever dealer could match my invoice+ target. Fact is, most dealers will gladly service your new vehicle under warranty given that is where the profit is for them. So, I don't care if I have to purchase from a dealer an hour away even though I may have one that is 10 mins from home. Each car transaction was completed in a total span of about 3 hours, all Paper work signed remotely, purposely to avoid any in-dealer games that are played. My time is money.

But these are different times and unfortunately some dealers are taking advantage of the current chip shortage and in turn, shortage of new vehicles. For example, some dealers are charging a $30K premium above MSRP for the new Ford F150 Lightning EV! All I can say is....Karma.

Anyway, I would not put up with that. Many Kia dealers around that would gladly have your business. My response would be, "Hard pass. Keep your invoice, I will buy somewhere else." If they don't change their tune, probably a good indicator that you do not want to buy from that dealer anyway.

Some tips...check Google reviews, although with a grain of salt since some are likely fake. Also, not sure about Kia, but not all may be certified to sell and service EVs. I can't imagine many will not be certified, but doesn't hurt to confirm.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm new to the forum.

I'm curious to hear your experience with pre-ordering the EV6 from your dealer in Canada.

I missed out on the initial 200 reservations back in October. So I contacted and went to my local dealer a few weeks ago and asked to reserve an EV6, as directed by the Kia.ca website.

The dealer couldn't provide much information. They couldn't even enter the pre-order in their ordering system since the EV6 hadn't been added yet.

In any case, they promised to send me a receipt for the $500 deposit required for the pre-order.

When I finally received the receipt/invoice, it was for around $1600. When I called the dealer to ask why, they stated they had included dealer admin fees.

Mt credit card was only charged $500... but I find this lack of transparency a bit alarming. I was never told about or agreed to any dealer admin fees when I placed the pre-order. (Then again, I never asked if there would be any additional fees as part of the pre-order process.)

Anyone else have a similar experience when placing a pre-order for the EV6 through a dealership?
Hi:

I new to the forum too. I also went to a dealer and put down a $500 deposit as per the web site. The salesperson sent me to the financial guy to take the deposit. He told me the deposit was not refundable and that if I didn't buy the car after it was delivered to the dealer, there would be a $1500 charge to ship it to another dealer. I told him the salesperson and the Kia web site says the deposit is refundable and that is the only thing I would accept. He then ticked a box on the deposit receipt that said the deposit was refundable and said he was going to talk to the sales staff. I went back to the salesperson and said they should talk to the financial person, because he is trying to make the deposits non-refundable. She agreed that it is supposed to be refundable. This was Harris Kia in Nanaimo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What the??!!??

This kind of behavior has to be reported to Kia Canada. Honestly.. just ridiculous...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

New here and looking at selling my 2017 F150 Limited to get an EV6 sometime mid 2022. I am actually holding out to see if any incentives pop up at the provincial level (Ontario) before making the plunge. I have converted all my power equipment to battery and have no longer have dino fuel in my home (well, except for the gas used for heating). Last step is my vehicle.

Really sucks to hear that dealers are still trying to scam people. As someone in their mid-50s who has bought numerous new cars, I have no patience for it. My last 5 vehicles have been purchased over the phone, documentation completed by email, with whichever dealer could match my invoice+ target. Fact is, most dealers will gladly service your new vehicle under warranty given that is where the profit is for them. So, I don't care if I have to purchase from a dealer an hour away even though I may have one that is 10 mins from home. Each car transaction was completed in a total span of about 3 hours, all Paper work signed remotely, purposely to avoid any in-dealer games that are played. My time is money.

But these are different times and unfortunately some dealers are taking advantage of the current chip shortage and in turn, shortage of new vehicles. For example, some dealers are charging a $30K premium above MSRP for the new Ford F150 Lightning EV! All I can say is....Karma.

Anyway, I would not put up with that. Many Kia dealers around that would gladly have your business. My response would be, "Hard pass. Keep your invoice, I will buy somewhere else." If they don't change their tune, probably a good indicator that you do not want to buy from that dealer anyway.

Some tips...check Google reviews, although with a grain of salt since some are likely fake. Also, not sure about Kia, but not all may be certified to sell and service EVs. I can't imagine many will not be certified, but doesn't hurt to confirm.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Hi luck11.

Yup, I'm bit a wary of online reviews as well, but I have started looking at other dealers in the area... even outside the area.

In this day and age, with access to all sorts of information, people sharing their experiences, and forums such as this, you'd think that businesses would be 'smarter' in terms of their dealings with the public....

·
Registered
15 Posts
BTW, have watched a few of the vids from Brantford Kia, and very impressed with the quality, no nonsense info about hyundai and kia vehicles. In fact, he clearly states deposit refundable and that if you change trim, you lose place in line. I am in Eastern Ontario so too far for me, but if I was in southern Ontario area, I would certainly check them out. Hopefuly this isn't the dealer with which you have your order LOL!!

Lots of good info in this 3 wk old vid, although you may have already seen it.

Brantford Kia EV6 Orders Open info

·
Registered
2019 Niro HEV
1 Posts
I also had a strange experience putting down my $500 EV6 "deposit" here in Toronto. I put in my request via the Kia.ca website, chose my local dealer, who also sold us our Niro, and waited. I got a fairly quick reply from a salesperson there who asked for a pic of my DL and said he would call for a credit card#. After the call, I waited to receive something documenting the transaction but nothing came.

I texted the salesperson again, and he said he would send some paperwork. Again, nothing happened. After a few weeks or so, I remembered again and contacted with a firmer message requesting something to show for the $ I had put down. He then asked me to choose which model and a colour, and finally sent me a pic of an invoice sheet, which really was not suited to the transaction given there is no price and hardly any information on it at all.

All in all, a strange experience. If this is the way we will be buying cars now, they really need to figure out a smoother and clearer process. I'm not worried about losing my $ and he did confirm in text that it is fully refundable. But still a bit unnerving on my end.

Still not sure if the EV6 is the car for us. Waiting for the Ariya reservations to open so i can put a deposit on that one too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I don't usually comment on these forums but this seems like a good time. I am one of the first 200 reservation holders for Canada. I had to keep refreshing my computer (phone wouldn't allow for pop-ups) for about 30-45 minutes and then I was able to register and deposit my $500 directly to Kia through their payment system. The local dealer contacted me a few days later with a brief introduction. At no point did the dealer suggest anything like some others have experienced and I don't expect to either. The Kia email did say to hold on to the reservation information otherwise they couldn't guarantee that I could get my deposit back.
I originally had a Mach E GT reservation but then pulled it following a test drive of the LR AWD. It was comfortable but the suspension and braking didn't feel right. I checked out the Model Y and almost bought one but then saw the EV6 design. I was sold. I hope it lives up to my expectations!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I originally had a Mach E GT reservation but then pulled it following a test drive of the LR AWD. It was comfortable but the suspension and braking didn't feel right.
Same here, except not GT - I had a deposit on an LR AWD build but when mine arrived found that the braking really rocked when it came to a full stop. In my short test drive in stop and go traffic it made me feel queasy, and I have two young kids - not going to risk motion sickness in the back seat. It was also extremely expensive for what it was - $74k + taxes!

I had noted the same thing in a previous LR AWD I'd driven, but it doesn't seem to happen on the short-range models. I want/need the range, so going with the standard battery pack (especially with the Mach-E's really slow charging) just wasn't going to work for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts