Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorely disappointed in my new First Edition! Dealer put a full charge on it and it said the range was 296 miles. I thought great, because I had a 220 mile drive home. I barely made it home with less than 10 miles remaining on it! I drove 75mph on the highway without using any heat or a/c and had a 2000ft. descent to boot!. This is not right! My 2 year old Niro EV has just as much range, and when it was new got 255 miles doing the same highway driving. Anybody else having range problems?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am sorely disappointed in my new First Edition! Dealer put a full charge on it and it said the range was 296 miles. I thought great, because I had a 220 mile drive home. I barely made it home with less than 10 miles remaining on it! I drove 75mph on the highway without using any heat or a/c and had a 2000ft. descent to boot!. This is not right! My 2 year old Niro EV has just as much range, and when it was new got 255 miles doing the same highway driving. Anybody else having range problems?
What were your outside temps?

220 sounds right though at your speed and with the 20" wheels. I know somebody with an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD (also 20" wheels) in Florida who drives 70-75mph and only gets 225 miles of range at 100% (which is 3.0 mi/kWh). We are both Mach-E owners (well, I formerly owned one) and got 3.3 mi/kWh at the same speeds.

The EV6 is slightly more efficient than the Ioniq 5 but not much. What was your mi/kWh? 2.9 mi/kWh? 3.0?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was using ECO mode and it showed 2.9mi/kwh.
Was i-pedal active? Supposedly E-GMP cars will not fully disconnect the front motor with this on - since it helps with regen.

2.9 mi/kWh isn't bad for the E-GMP cars. It's not efficient but you were driving 75mph also.

You also didn't tell us your outside temps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You’re going to need to drive 65 mph or lower to get good range. Drafting larger vehicles also works for increasing range but can be dangerous.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i-pedal was not active. OAT was 70-80F.
I saw a Reddit post on a former Niro EV owner who mentioned his Niro EV was 0.6-0.7 mi/kWh more efficient than the EV6. In your case 3.5-3.6 mi/kWh for the highway and the same speed.

What was your efficiency numbers like on the Niro EV? Niro + Kona EVs are definitely more efficient than the Ioniq 5 + EV6 but they are larger of course.

·
Registered
2022 Stinger, 2019 Sorento, 2017 Sportage
210 Posts
I saw a Reddit post on a former Niro EV owner who mentioned his Niro EV was 0.6-0.7 mi/kWh more efficient than the EV6. In your case 3.5-3.6 mi/kWh for the highway and the same speed.

What was your efficiency numbers like on the Niro EV? Niro + Kona EVs are definitely more efficient than the Ioniq 5 + EV6 but they are larger of course.
I am not sure you can get them ( Niro + Kona EVs) in AWD. If I get an EV that is important to me. I assume front or rear wheel drive may be more efficient.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am not sure you can get them ( Niro + Kona EVs) in AWD. If I get an EV that is important to me. I assume front or rear wheel drive may be more efficient.
RWD vs. AWD isn't always a big range difference. See ID.4 and Mach-E. They lose 10-20 miles max.

Efficiency is helped with smaller wheels and use of EV tires (lower roll resistance). And an aerodynamic shape (see sedans like the Model 3 or Lucid Air or Model S).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand there are many factors affecting efficiency and range, the issue is the EV6 is not meeting it's published range figures whereas the Niro not only meets them but beats them under the same driving conditions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You cannot. They are fwd only. That matters to efficiency to some extent, but Niro and Kona are also subcompacts. Ev6 and Ioniq 5 are at least a size class up (though it's hard to peg them exactly since they have unique proportions vs ice vehicles)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I understand there are many factors affecting efficiency and range, the issue is the EV6 is not meeting it's published range figures whereas the Niro not only meets them but beats them under the same driving conditions.
Technically it is. Highway MPGe is 94

94 MPGe = 2.788904 mi/kWh

You are getting 2.9mi/kWh with the large 20" wheels too.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've noticed that ev6 and Ioniq 5 both have a huge gap in published city vs highway efficiency. Usually the quoted range is from combined driving. I wonder if that is skewing things. I.e, they underperform on highway but over perform in city.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As a comparison, the Model Y is 117 MPGe on the highway according to the EPA

117 MPGe = 3.471295 mi/kWh

which is low because I get 3.6 mi/kWh (75+ mph) to 3.9 mi/Kwh (70mph) here in Florida.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts