Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First roadtrip in my matte gray FE. One hour in, a truck passing in the other direction threw up a large rock -- actually saw it coming for a nanosecond, followed by a loud thwack, resulting in the following. I do have to say that the windshield is seriously hard. Still have to replace it tho, and it may take a while. I suppose it could have done a number on the body, not to mention the paint, so maybe am luckly. Car performed great, though, and got lots of questions on the ferry to Vancouver Island.

Water Liquid Hood Automotive lighting Azure

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
What lead time are they giving you on a new windscreen.

Hope its not a long wait.

Reactions: myosin

·
Registered
287 Posts
That really sucks 🥴.

Our EV6 is being painted on two doors right now because of a loose hidden tree root piece on a gravel road that smacked up when we drove over it. It caused several deep scratches on the doors.

It was a wide and “clean” high quality gravel road, and we didn’t expect that something like that could happen there. It was just bad luck and we had no chance of avoiding it. The root was completely hidden under the gravel and dust.

I did say some pretty spicy words when it happened :whistle:.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That really sucks 🥴.

Our EV6 is being painted on two doors right now because of a loose hidden tree root piece on a gravel road that smacked up when we drove over it. It caused several deep scratches on the doors.

It was a wide and “clean” high quality gravel road, and we didn’t expect that something like that could happen there. It was just bad luck and we had no chance of avoiding it. The root was completely hidden under the gravel and dust.

I did say some pretty spicy words when it happened :whistle:.
That sounds like extremely bad luck - almost booby-trapped! I suspect that when properly translated, our words were essentially the samed: "How Unfortunate!"

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line RWD, Aurora Black Pearl
15 Posts
What lead time are they giving you on a new windscreen.

Hope its not a long wait.
I'm curious about this too, since I went through 4 windshields in as many years in my last car. My Volt had a pretty standard GM window size that was usually in stock, but I know some newer cars, especially Teslas, have wait times that can reach multiple months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious about this too, since I went through 4 windshields in as many years in my last car. My Volt had a pretty standard GM window size that was usually in stock, but I know some newer cars, especially Teslas, have wait times that can reach multiple months.
Just heard back from auto glass company -- fortunately KIA can get them the windshield in 3-4 days. Because of all the ADAS, it has to be recalibrated afterwards. They noted that given the newness of the car, their current systems may not be adequate (?) in which case they would refer it to the dealer. Only $1,866 :eek:

·
Registered
2022 Stinger, 2019 Sorento, 2017 Sportage
210 Posts
Just heard back from auto glass company -- fortunately KIA can get them the windshield in 3-4 days. Because of all the ADAS, it has to be recalibrated afterwards. They noted that given the newness of the car, their current systems may not be adequate (?) in which case they would refer it to the dealer. Only $1,866 :eek:
I had read a couple years ago that windshields could cost alot because of all the technology so I make sure to include glass replacement in all my car insurance policies on my newer cars. I am glad that they will be able to get your windshield sooner and not six months from now. the calibration could be a problem as well as your heads up display. Make sure to check your HUD if they do repairs because a new windshield can effect that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had read a couple years ago that windshields could cost alot because of all the technology so I make sure to include glass replacement in all my car insurance policies on my newer cars. I am glad that they will be able to get your windshield sooner and not six months from now. the calibration could be a problem as well as your heads up display. Make sure to check your HUD if they do repairs because a new windshield can effect that.
Which glass company is doing the replace?? Have had to do the similar on two different cars over the past number of years......always a bit "frightening" to see them remove the windshield, etc. but in the end it will all be "good as new!"

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-LINE AWD
2 Posts
I feel your pain. Took my EV6 out for its first road trip this past weekend and got a 15in crack from a stray rock.

Third-party service can get an OEM windshield replacement for $2000 in 2-3 business days. Then I have to take it to a KIA dealership after for recalibration ($200 - $300). Only KIA dealerships can do the recalibration because the steps aren't available publicly yet. The dealership has to work with KIA techline during the recalibration.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood

·
Registered
499 Posts
If your insurance policy includes glass replacement then make sure that you have OEM replacement coverage as well--otherwise your insurance will only pay for aftermarket/third-party glass where possible. Many insurance companies offer OEM parts rider coverage to cover costs since OEM parts typically cost more than aftermarket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh that sucks, I am sorry. Can it be filled until a new replacement comes in?
First roadtrip in my matte gray FE. One hour in, a truck passing in the other direction threw up a large rock -- actually saw it coming for a nanosecond, followed by a loud thwack, resulting in the following. I do have to say that the windshield is seriously hard. Still have to replace it tho, and it may take a while. I suppose it could have done a number on the body, not to mention the paint, so maybe am luckly. Car performed great, though, and got lots of questions on the ferry to Vancouver Island.

View attachment 4440
Same here. Rock hit, then 12" crack(and growing).My iInsurance partners with Safelite, so went there even though I could pick anyone, but thought if anyone had EV6 experience, they would. I was told there are no OEM replacements yet, so ordered through the dealer and installed 2 days ago.
When I got home, I discovered a very visible line across the roof connecting to the top corners of the glass, probably where tape went? Called the Safelite where installed and wanted to speak to a tech. They wouldn't come to the phone but the desk person said they advised using Goof Off, which I'd already tried. This wasn't residue, it was much more lasting and seemed imbedded. After working with Scratch Remover and Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, I finally got it to the point that I only see a faint darker color discoloration line(car is Interstellar Gray). No one else would notice unless I pointed it out. As if whatever was used, interacted with the clear coat?
Now to the camera calibration: They assured me they had the EV6 support for calibration. So they did it. Prior to this incident, my car would trigger the departure warning when a tire hit outside of the white line. Now, only after the car has went well over the line. So now a trip to the dealer for a camera calibration.
It was obvious the local place had no interest in dealing with any of this as I assume they saw it too and hoped it would slip by me. And I didn't push it as I didn't want those bozos anywhere near my car again. I'm communicating with the Safelite district office now but will never use Safelite again.
As far as the new glass, it looks properly installed so fingers crossed on that. BTW, the tech told me after installation, it's the same procedure as on the Stinger.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, fortunately I just have to pay comprehensive deductible. The HUD sucks already, so maybe /i can get an improvement!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same here. Rock hit, then 12" crack(and growing).My iInsurance partners with Safelite, so went there even though I could pick anyone, but thought if anyone had EV6 experience, they would. I was told there are no OEM replacements yet, so ordered through the dealer and installed 2 days ago.
When I got home, I discovered a very visible line across the roof connecting to the top corners of the glass, probably where tape went? Called the Safelite where installed and wanted to speak to a tech. They wouldn't come to the phone but the desk person said they advised using Goof Off, which I'd already tried. This wasn't residue, it was much more lasting and seemed imbedded. After working with Scratch Remover and Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, I finally got it to the point that I only see a faint darker color discoloration line(car is Interstellar Gray). No one else would notice unless I pointed it out. As if whatever was used, interacted with the clear coat?
Now to the camera calibration: They assured me they had the EV6 support for calibration. So they did it. Prior to this incident, my car would trigger the departure warning when a tire hit outside of the white line. Now, only after the car has went well over the line. So now a trip to the dealer for a camera calibration.
It was obvious the local place had no interest in dealing with any of this as I assume they saw it too and hoped it would slip by me. And I didn't push it as I didn't want those bozos anywhere near my car again. I'm communicating with the Safelite district office now but will never use Safelite again.
As far as the new glass, it looks properly installed so fingers crossed on that. BTW, the tech told me after installation, it's the same procedure as on the Stinger.
That sounds like a frustrating experience! Glad I didn't choose Safelite which my insurance also partners with. I'll be sure to take a "before" set of pictures, and remind them of the matte finish issues. Thanks for heads-up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your insurance policy includes glass replacement then make sure that you have OEM replacement coverage as well--otherwise your insurance will only pay for aftermarket/third-party glass where possible. Many insurance companies offer OEM parts rider coverage to cover costs since OEM parts typically cost more than aftermarket.
I didn't know about the possibility of OEM rider. Will check into it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts