Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
KNDC3DLC3N5045817
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were driving from Dallas to Phoenix on December 21st. Stopped at an Electrify America in El Paso to charge.
Upon attaining 95% I stopped charging at the EV charger. It said it was stopped and told me to unplug. I did and the door on the Kia would not close.
Went in and pushed the charging door button on the dash and it did not close. I went to start the car and it said was plugged in and would have to unplug it before I could start the car. I was already unplugged. The door is still open. I pushed it closed manually but it would not lock.

Tried plugging back in the Electrify America and unplugging, but nothing.

Called Kia Roadside Assistance, and described the problem. They told me they would dispatch a tow truck to take our EV6 to a local El Paso dealer. The closest dealer was Casa Kia in El Paso. After a 2-hour wait for a tow truck, the driver loaded our Kia. I told him he would need to load our car on dollies as it was locked in Park. He got it loaded and we went with him to Casa Kia.

Unloaded the car, and told Mike, one of the Service writers our situation. They tried a few things to no avail. Late in the afternoon, the dealer's courtesy car took us to a local motel where we spent 2 nights waiting for our car.

The dealer had communication with Kia and finally, as it was only a few days before Christmas and we had to get back to Phoenix, the Kia dealer gave us a rental car and told us it might take a week or so to get Kia engineers out to diagnose and fix the problem.

Mike kept me in the loop with calls to let me know what the Kia Techs were doing. The techs replaced the VCMS Assembly and erased codes and It still would not start. The techs then replace the Inlet Assembly-Combo Cha, erased the codes, and unplugged and replugged in the 12v battery. The car then started with no codes showing.

On January 19th we drove back to El Paso from Phoenix and spent another night at a motel to get our Urban Yellow EV6FE. So happy that Casa Kia and Kia Roadside assistance kept us in the loop by calling us after each try and letting us know what was happening. I have the greatest comments about Casa Kia's service, their staff, Kia's engineers and techs, and Kia Roadside Assistance people they all went above and beyond. Thank you.
Wayne Parker

Attachments

· Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
771 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. I have not had any major failure on my car, and so far I have interacted with two Kia dealers, one for sale and another one for the parking pawl recall. Both interactions were professional and positive.

· Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
567 Posts
They would have had to disconnect the 12v to do the VCMS, so I don't think that would help. They ended up replacing the charging port and cables. (The cables do not detach from the port.)

The car detects a plug from the Pilot Present pin being grounded. There was probably a short to ground in the wiring.

· Registered
450 Posts
We were driving from Dallas to Phoenix on December 21st. Stopped at an Electrify America in El Paso to charge.
Upon attaining 95% I stopped charging at the EV charger. It said it was stopped and told me to unplug. I did and the door on the Kia would not close.
Went in and pushed the charging door button on the dash and it did not close. I went to start the car and it said was plugged in and would have to unplug it before I could start the car. I was already unplugged. The door is still open. I pushed it closed manually but it would not lock.

Tried plugging back in the Electrify America and unplugging, but nothing.

Called Kia Roadside Assistance, and described the problem. They told me they would dispatch a tow truck to take our EV6 to a local El Paso dealer. The closest dealer was Casa Kia in El Paso. After a 2-hour wait for a tow truck, the driver loaded our Kia. I told him he would need to load our car on dollies as it was locked in Park. He got it loaded and we went with him to Casa Kia.

Unloaded the car, and told Mike, one of the Service writers our situation. They tried a few things to no avail. Late in the afternoon, the dealer's courtesy car took us to a local motel where we spent 2 nights waiting for our car.

The dealer had communication with Kia and finally, as it was only a few days before Christmas and we had to get back to Phoenix, the Kia dealer gave us a rental car and told us it might take a week or so to get Kia engineers out to diagnose and fix the problem.

Mike kept me in the loop with calls to let me know what the Kia Techs were doing. The techs replaced the VCMS Assembly and erased codes and It still would not start. The techs then replace the Inlet Assembly-Combo Cha, erased the codes, and unplugged and replugged in the 12v battery. The car then started with no codes showing.

On January 19th we drove back to El Paso from Phoenix and spent another night at a motel to get our Urban Yellow EV6FE. So happy that Casa Kia and Kia Roadside assistance kept us in the loop by calling us after each try and letting us know what was happening. I have the greatest comments about Casa Kia's service, their staff, Kia's engineers and techs, and Kia Roadside Assistance people they all went above and beyond. Thank you.
Wayne Parker
As precautionary I always double unlock using the key fob before ending charging either from the car app or independent charging app 👍 my rule of thumb is always double unlock 👍

· Registered
KNDC3DLC3N5045817
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow-up to my original post. Yesterday, I went out to plug in my EV6 in our garage and the door for the charge would not open. I had the car unlocked, sat down on the driver's seat, and pushed the door to unlock button on the dash it made a grinding sound but the door did not open. I left the car unlocked, went around to the plug-in door outside, and pushed on the door where I normally push to open the door and it made a grinding (growling) noise but did not open. Called my Arrowhead Kia dealer, where I bought my car, told them about the problem. They told me to bring it over. I did. left the car. The service manager called me back later and told me the door plug module had to be replaced and that they would order it from L.A. Would take a few days to get it. So they would call when the part was in. Hopefully, it will be the correct part and will correct the problem. Seems like the EV6 has a problem with its charging door.

· Registered
228 Posts
As a follow-up to my original post. Yesterday, I went out to plug in my EV6 in our garage and the door for the charge would not open. I had the car unlocked, sat down on the driver's seat, and pushed the door to unlock button on the dash it made a grinding sound but the door did not open. I left the car unlocked, went around to the plug-in door outside, and pushed on the door where I normally push to open the door and it made a grinding (growling) noise but did not open. Called my Arrowhead Kia dealer, where I bought my car, told them about the problem. They told me to bring it over. I did. left the car. The service manager called me back later and told me the door plug module had to be replaced and that they would order it from L.A. Would take a few days to get it. So they would call when the part was in. Hopefully, it will be the correct part and will correct the problem. Seems like the EV6 has a problem with its charging door.
or they messed it up when they did your previous service

· Registered
771 Posts
I wish the charging door would be just a simple mechanical door like the one installed in the older Ionic cars. Push to open, push to close without any motorized parts.

· Registered
771 Posts
My main concern with this door is that if it breaks or if someone would push on it and break it while is open and the car is charging, the car won't move again and will think the door is open.
I visited Chicago in the Fall and I had to charge the car in a ramp. That was my main fear, that someone could break the door and I would need to get it towed. That would be interesting if not impossible, getting a flatbed on the 2nd floor of a ramp.

· Registered
225 Posts
My main concern with this door is that if it breaks or if someone would push on it and break it while is open and the car is charging, the car won't move again and will think the door is open.
I have intentionally moved the car without shutting the charging door. (The charger wasn't working and I had to move to another). The car simply closed the door and drove fine. I don't know if the door were physically bent and couldn't close what the car would do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts