Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a 2022 EV6 GTLine. I am trying to do a manual update to the October 2022 software but the car wont take it. I am using a USB 3.1 64GB Sandisk thumbdrive. I run the Navigation Updater and copy the files to the jumpdrive. When I insert the drive into the car, it says "Reading USB" at the top of the screen for about 5 secs then it disappears. When I go into the SETUP>GENERAL>SW Update page and click UPDATE....it freezes the screen. I've let it sit there for over 50 minutes to see if it was doing anything in the background but nothing.

I've called KIA customer support , the Navigation customer support, and KIA Connect Customer support. None of them can figure it out. I brought my car to the dealer and told them my car is not accepting updates and they don't know what to do.

My Cars current Software version is the 20211116 instead of the 20221025. Anyone else had this problem? A few questions for the group:

1. For people that updated their cars manually. What thumb drives (Brand/Size) worked for you?
2. For the current October 2022 update, How many files were on your USB thumdrive after you copied the files?
3. Do you have to unzip the .TAR files before running the update?
4. Anyone know if the "RESET" function in the car will wipe everything and allow me to start from scratch?

Thanks,

Charles

P.S. Any help would be appreciated

· Registered
19 Posts
I had the same situation. It would not take the updates from the USB. One of the techs I talked with said once you have OTA the USB will essentially be ignored. I removed the USB and within a week I was updated via OTA.

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE #0882 Urban Yellow
222 Posts
1. For people that updated their cars manually. What thumb drives (Brand/Size) worked for you?
2. For the current October 2022 update, How many files were on your USB thumdrive after you copied the files?
4. Anyone know if the "RESET" function in the car will wipe everything and allow me to start from scratch?
Here's my 2 cents.
1. SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB 3.1 Gen 1.
2. Here's the file list on my USB drive:
'$TXRAJNL.DAT'​
2022_EV6_USA.ver​
TarList.txt_encrypted​
TarList.txt_encrypted.rsa​
extra_package_ECOKMC.USA.0000.V009.001.221115.181237.tar​
navi_backup.tar1​
navi_backup.tar2​
navi_backup.tar3​
navi_backup.tar4​
navi_backup.tar5​
navi_backup.tar6​
navi_backup.tar7​
navi_backup.tar8​
sw_backup.tar​
system_package_ECOKMC.USA.0000.V009.001.221115.181237.tar​

3. No, you do NOT expand any files. It should install automatically upon insertion.
4. Absolute last resort. There is an export function for the nav POIs/settings, and you probably want to note any settings you made before resetting if you do this.

Other comments.
It looks like you skipped over the Spring 2022 update if your current version is "20211116." It shouldn't matter, but ???

EDIT: If your update is really dated 20221025, you probably downloaded the first release that has known installation issues and was pulled from distribution. Download the latest with the Updater and try again.

First line of the version descriptor (text) file "2022_EV6_USA.ver" in the root directory of my update is
+|22Q2|CV_E.USA.S5W_M.V009.001.221115|KM|2022_EV6_USA|1454|1

There are utilities to verify flash drives.
I use F3, but it must be compiled.
H2testw is similar, an executable for Windows PCs.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Looks like my jumpdrive is missing " '$TXRAJNL.DAT' " and my hidden files are shown. Is that a file that was native to your jumpdrive or did the navigation uploader put that file on there? I have all the other files. Car was at the dealership all day today with no joy. They have opened a tech helpline ticket. The navigation map company responded back to me and said that my vehicle has been communicating with the OTA server but stopped responding after 11/17. They are trying to tell me that manual updates are inhibited while OTA updates are in progress. I am skeptical on this as an explanation.

I am interested in trying a hard system reset but im not sure if that would even solve the problem and just be a giant headache to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Also, my jumpdrive is a Sandisk Ultra 3.0... instead of 3.1. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Additionally and fun fact, the Map Software company tech support told me that OTA updates are pushed out on a "First Come, First Served" basis. Once the bandwidth for the day is reached, it stops pushing out data. They said there is no way to tell when and where you are in the queue for getting updates or when you will complete them. Im not sure how accurate this data is.

Attached is the screen on my updates page in the car. The right side shows text that acts like it has just recently or is about to install an update but the text is over text and looks glitchy.

Any other insights on this?

P.S. Can others verify the existence of this $TXRAJNL.DAT file on thier jumpdrive ?
Computer Gadget Font Display device Electronic device

· Registered
222 Posts
I suspect that $TXRAJNL.DAT is an exfat journal file and is an artifact of the drive formatting (Navigation Updater wiped the drive). It is zero length in any case, so I doubt it is relevant. I did not find any hidden files nor directories on the drive.

I also doubt 3.0 vs 3.1 is a factor.

My suspicion lies in my EDIT on the post. Your update version seems to be from October (20221025). Mine is November (20221115). The initial release had installation issues and was pulled and replaced. When did you download the update?

· Administrator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,595 Posts
Have you looked on this thread, there is a video showing how to manually update, may offer some help,

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I suspect that $TXRAJNL.DAT is an exfat journal file and is an artifact of the drive formatting (Navigation Updater wiped the drive). It is zero length in any case, so I doubt it is relevant. I did not find any hidden files nor directories on the drive.

I also doubt 3.0 vs 3.1 is a factor.

My suspicion lies in my EDIT on the post. Your update version seems to be from October (20221025). Mine is November (20221115). The initial release had installation issues and was pulled and replaced. When did you download the update?
IMHO I don't think that OP trying to install the 221025 version is what's causing their current install issues--I had previously installed the 221025 version on my EV without issue, then just prior to this past Thanksgiving I installed the 221115 version--again, without issue.

· Registered
222 Posts
IMHO I don't think that OP trying to install the 221025 version is what's causing their current install issues--I had previously installed the 221025 version on my EV without issue, then just prior to this past Thanksgiving I installed the 221115 version--again, without issue.
Take a look at the post below (being a Canada post doesn't seem relevant, as the same was true for US). Many had problems installing the October release, which is why it was taken offline.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same situation with a month old 2022 wind RWD. The version showing is 2021. OTA is showing, but it is asking for media if I press UPDATE. Tried different USB drives on MacOS. The screen freezes when I try to use the USB drive.

· Registered
8 Posts
Same issue, I downloaded the update to the USB drive however when I put it in the car nothing happens, and like you if I click update it freezes in addition if I remove the usb it says there is an OTA update available however if I press update it asks to make sure there is a USB device plugged in.

· Registered
222 Posts
Same issue, I downloaded the update to the USB drive however when I put it in the car nothing happens, and like you if I click update it freezes in addition if I remove the usb it says there is an OTA update available however if I press update it asks to make sure there is a USB device plugged in.
If you mean the Infotainment screen "OTA Update" with "Available" status, that just means that the Over the Air update service is enabled in the vehicle, not that an update is pending installation ("Enabled" would have been a less ambiguous term here). If you check the other posts on the topic, OTA updates can take months to show up due to server availability and where your vehicle is in the update queue. To me, that makes OTA almost useless as the OTA feature is only included in the Ultimate Kia Connect package (1st year is included). I doubt that I will renew at that plan level.

· Registered
8 Posts
All,

I have a 2022 EV6 GTLine. I am trying to do a manual update to the October 2022 software but the car wont take it. I am using a USB 3.1 64GB Sandisk thumbdrive. I run the Navigation Updater and copy the files to the jumpdrive. When I insert the drive into the car, it says "Reading USB" at the top of the screen for about 5 secs then it disappears. When I go into the SETUP>GENERAL>SW Update page and click UPDATE....it freezes the screen. I've let it sit there for over 50 minutes to see if it was doing anything in the background but nothing.

I've called KIA customer support , the Navigation customer support, and KIA Connect Customer support. None of them can figure it out. I brought my car to the dealer and told them my car is not accepting updates and they don't know what to do.

My Cars current Software version is the 20211116 instead of the 20221025. Anyone else had this problem? A few questions for the group:

Thanks,

Charles

Let us know if you find a resolution to this

· Registered
4 Posts
I took my car to the dealer today because two weeks ago they said they did not have time to do the navigation software update. I am pretty sure they know that there is something going on with this. From the start, they did not seem to understand what navigation software update I was talking about (my appointment was specifically for that). They said they will do the SA521 recall (that I did not even know about) and then they will check the navigation software. Two hours later, they told me that they has finished the software update for the recall and that they were having some trouble downloading the navigation software. Two more hours later, they told me the car was ready. I asked what the problem was, at which point they told me there was absolutely no problem. They told me that the software is up-to-date. In the car, I checked the system menu, and it still says that an update is available and that my system is from 2011. I checked the papers, and they wrote, "Performed map is to latest version. No further KIA navigation update needed."
I decided not to bother with it further since I use Google Maps instead of the built-in map, but this is weird.

· Registered
222 Posts
... it still says that an update is available and that my system is from 2011.
See my post above. I suspect you misunderstand the OTA update available on the Infotainment screen. 2011? Did you mean 2021 (what you posted earlier)?

The map/nav updates also upgrade Android Auto and Apple Carplay software among other software components, so you probably don't want to disregard it.

· Registered
500 Posts
Yes, I meant 20211116.
That date is the typical way Asia formats .. 2021 / 11 / 16 is in USA Nov 16th of 2021.. .which is what my infotainment also reads for my GTL AWD built in May of 2022. It works and I have zero issues, so it will stay that way for me. I use WAZE and the CarPlay wireless adapter. All works 100% right when I power on the car to leave every time.

Could end up like this thread on an update that now fails to work right.

Which this update would be Nov 15th of 2022... I guess they only do a year at a time.

· Registered
222 Posts
That date is the typical way Asia formats .. 2021 / 11 / 16 is in USA Nov 16th of 2021
FWIW, this is actually the ISO 8601 standard format for calendar dates (not exclusive to Asia). See

I guess they only do a year at a time.
Twice per year (so far) for EV6. From Kia Mapcare | Customer Login,
We usually release a new map update twice a year (in April and October) or once a year (in April / October).

I hope that Kia transitions to smaller, more frequent rolling updates for OTA.

· Registered
1 Posts
All,

Thanks,

Charles

I'm having the same problem. Mine remains unresolved at the moment.
Tried 2 types of USB Drives. No luck.

Hope you resolved your issue by now (?).

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Mine remains unresolved at the moment. Tried 2 types of USB Drives. No luck. Hope you resolved your issue by now (?).
Hello, I have the same problem. The OTA update is available and when I select the "Update" it asks for the USB media. When the USB is inserted, it just sits there with options frozen. It is a 2022 KIA EV6. The software version and other relevant information is below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ⚡⚡⚡🏎⚡⚡⚡

1 - 20 of 21 Posts