Kia EV6 Forum banner

What do you think about the sound system?

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I just got my EV6 GT line in Snow White Pearl last week and it is AWESOME !!! Love it in almost every way and have had no software issues so far.

However the sound system really is a disappointment. I came from a BMW 3 series with upgraded B&O speakers that were great.

I've read the post/comments and reviews already and I agree with most that the bass is weak and the mid-levels and vocals sound tinny. The sound is better when using the Kia's Media system and worse with CarPlay. There is a very limited equalizer adjustment so can't do much there.

I really do love hearing great sound from the speakers when listening to music when driving.

I am not a speaker/audio expert at all and was wondering if anyone on the forum might be and provide some advice on how to improve the sound system. Would simply buying a subwoofer help? Would it be better to replace all of the speakers? Which brands would you recommend?

Thank you for any guidance anyone can provide !!

·
Registered
GT-Line.
542 Posts
Hi all - I just got my EV6 GT line in Snow White Pearl last week and it is AWESOME !!! Love it in almost every way and have had no software issues so far.

However the sound system really is a disappointment. I came from a BMW 3 series with upgraded B&O speakers that were great.

I've read the post/comments and reviews already and I agree with most that the bass is weak and the mid-levels and vocals sound tinny. The sound is better when using the Kia's Media system and worse with CarPlay. There is a very limited equalizer adjustment so can't do much there.

I really do love hearing great sound from the speakers when listening to music when driving.

I am not a speaker/audio expert at all and was wondering if anyone on the forum might be and provide some advice on how to improve the sound system. Would simply buying a subwoofer help? Would it be better to replace all of the speakers? Which brands would you recommend?

Thank you for any guidance anyone can provide !!
If you liked the B&Os get them.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,004 Posts
The car is new so information on any speaker upgrades is limited at the moment. I am sure in a few months time when the car is more picked up by aftermarket companies the sound system will be one of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first one I sat in at a dealer and played with the audio system - I was very disappointed. When I test drove the one I bought I was surprised at the system which sounded much better.
It already has a subwoofer I believe in the back. I’m wondering if there are some quality control issues with this audio system?
but as someone else already said.. it will take a bit before aftermarket offers a clear upgrade path.
btw - the BMW I had with B&O was awful… couldn’t do the highs at all without static/screech

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently installed a custom 8 inch fiberglass woofer taking up the bottom area where the oem stock sub did. It is a Dayton audio HO series 8 inch woofer with a 375w rms amp (skar audio 1200 something) and makes more than enough bass. That plus some eq touchups I did on the midrange really make the sound quite good (coming from an audio systems engineer background). Anyone interested in details message me.
Automotive tire Trunk Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recently installed a custom 8 inch fiberglass woofer taking up the bottom area where the oem stock sub did. It is a Dayton audio HO series 8 inch woofer with a 375w rms amp (skar audio 1200 something) and makes more than enough bass. That plus some eq touchups I did on the midrange really make the sound quite good (coming from an audio systems engineer background). Anyone interested in details message me. View attachment 4727
This is pretty awesome! Any chance you have a diy step by step? How much rewiring did you have to do?

How did you get the amp powered? What does the enclosure look like?

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is pretty awesome! Any chance you have a diy step by step? How much rewiring did you have to do?
I didn't do the actual install (had a local shop do it) but I can overview the steps.

Step 1. Buy an amp, driver, hi/lo converter, RCA cable, enough 4 gauge wire to power the amp, Materials for the box (fiberglass or wood/mdf), mounting screws + tnuts for driver
Step 2. Remove stock wired amp by cutting the input wires (leave as much cable length to route into Hi/Lo converter that you can (i.e. cut near the wires go into the stocksub enclosure)).
Step 3. Grind down tabs if desired to open up maximum space in well area (helps clean up the accessible volume)
Step 4. make a mold of the bottom section or make a wood box approximating the shape, use all the available width you can to maximize air volume (ideally >0.7 cu ft usable)
Step 5. Mount baffle (the part you see) to the fiberglass shell
Step 6. T-nuts + driver mount -> wire to amp
Step 7. Adjust amp settings and pre-amp settings as desired to ensure plenty of signal coming from the converter.
Step 8. Install remote amp control in front of car so you can turn the bass up/down from the driver position (comes with the amp I linked)
Step 9. Ensure the amp/preamp are wired to trigger on with the car so you don't kill your battery
Step 10. Mount driver (connect driver wire to driver terminals)
Step 11. Secure down amp so that it doesn't slide

I think that is it? I could be missing something

Woofer
Home

Hi/Lo converter
https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl...0LW0/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B00IIL0LW0&psc=1

Amp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1FXPH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sense. Definitely a long project for someone like me. I'll have to do some research and maybe get some quotes.

Do you feel like the change in the woofer was all the system needed to make it as good as we would have expected?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Make sense. Definitely a long project for someone like me. I'll have to do some research and maybe get some quotes.

Do you feel like the change in the woofer was all the system needed to make it as good as we would have expected?
It did about 80% of the improvement. Honestly it covers up the mid/HF sins ok because it can fill in that bottom end of the vocal that is so lacking on the stock system. Still spitty without the EQ I posted to another thread but much better. Can't recommend a sub enough. From what I can tell that location is excellent as far as integration with the system (from the driver position) and doesn't have any noticeable rattles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know this maybe just speculation and a subjective answer, but do you (with your background) think that any number of software updates or EQ adjustments would make the stock subwoofer any more tolerable?

I'm supposed to get my software update tomorrow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I was in charge of tuning it and had proper tools to dial in the limiting I could make it much better than it is but there is a serious limit in spl due to the underwhelming woofer and likely underwhelming power. From what I see it appears to be a dual voice coil woofer based on the 4 wires they are using 2x normal woofer amps to drive the sub so probably 40w realistically based on it being a 5 inch...

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Looks a great job, you may want to speak to the company who did SabaEV install and see if they can do the same in a kit form as there would be a massive market for this I am sure.

Shame its in the USA as I am sure many in the UK would be interested also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks a great job, you may want to speak to the company who did SabaEV install and see if they can do the same in a kit form as there would be a massive market for this I am sure.

Shame its in the USA as I am sure many in the UK would be interested also.
Potential issues with a kit form (likely the enclosure shell could be replicated) is they chose to cut off the tabs to make clearance which wouldn't be easy for the average Joe... Likely shipping the enclosure parts wouldn't be too much but you would need an experienced person to wire it up.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Potential issues with a. Kit form (likely the enclosure she'll could be replicated) is they chose to cut off the tabs to make clearance which wouldn't be easy for the average Joe... Likely shipping the enclosure parts wouldn't be too much but you would need an experienced person to wire it up.
Perhaps to make it easier for people who do not have the skill set to do this is to perhaps if they can source the connector to connect into the exiting wiring plug, this would get round this issue.

As for the tabs,, not sure as not sure what they have to cut?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I recently installed a custom 8 inch fiberglass woofer taking up the bottom area where the oem stock sub did. It is a Dayton audio HO series 8 inch woofer with a 375w rms amp (skar audio 1200 something) and makes more than enough bass. That plus some eq touchups I did on the midrange really make the sound quite good (coming from an audio systems engineer background). Anyone interested in details message me.
Good info, thanks for directing me here! Do you know if they used the OEM sub wires to drive the new amp, or did they tap off different speaker lines instead to bypass whatever stock equalization the sub has?

Also I'd love more info about the EQ you're talking about, I'll have to go hunting for that now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good info, thanks for directing me here! Do you know if they used the OEM sub wires to drive the new amp, or did they tap off different speaker lines instead to bypass whatever stock equalization the sub has?

Also I'd love more info about the EQ you're talking about, I'll have to go hunting for that now.
I'm using the oem sub wires routed through a step down so yes I'm sure there is some eq (stock eq still applied) I need to re eq it to clean up that filtering but honestly it sounds fine without updating it besides the 36 hz filter was changed to 28 Hz and gain reduced to 1.5 dB.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I added a 7 khz cut and adjusted the 36 Hz boost as mentioned but this is essentially it.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD
147 Posts
I added a 7 khz cut and adjusted the 36 Hz boost as mentioned but this is essentially it.
What was the 7khz settings for poweramp that you used?

1 - 20 of 331 Posts