Kia EV Forum banner

What do you think about the sound system?

EV6 speaker upgrade recommendations

142K views 466 replies 79 participants last post by  mjduke420 
#1 ·
Hi all - I just got my EV6 GT line in Snow White Pearl last week and it is AWESOME !!! Love it in almost every way and have had no software issues so far.

However the sound system really is a disappointment. I came from a BMW 3 series with upgraded B&O speakers that were great.

I've read the post/comments and reviews already and I agree with most that the bass is weak and the mid-levels and vocals sound tinny. The sound is better when using the Kia's Media system and worse with CarPlay. There is a very limited equalizer adjustment so can't do much there.

I really do love hearing great sound from the speakers when listening to music when driving.

I am not a speaker/audio expert at all and was wondering if anyone on the forum might be and provide some advice on how to improve the sound system. Would simply buying a subwoofer help? Would it be better to replace all of the speakers? Which brands would you recommend?

Thank you for any guidance anyone can provide !!

#2 ·
Hi all - I just got my EV6 GT line in Snow White Pearl last week and it is AWESOME !!! Love it in almost every way and have had no software issues so far.

However the sound system really is a disappointment. I came from a BMW 3 series with upgraded B&O speakers that were great.

I've read the post/comments and reviews already and I agree with most that the bass is weak and the mid-levels and vocals sound tinny. The sound is better when using the Kia's Media system and worse with CarPlay. There is a very limited equalizer adjustment so can't do much there.

I really do love hearing great sound from the speakers when listening to music when driving.

I am not a speaker/audio expert at all and was wondering if anyone on the forum might be and provide some advice on how to improve the sound system. Would simply buying a subwoofer help? Would it be better to replace all of the speakers? Which brands would you recommend?

Thank you for any guidance anyone can provide !!
If you liked the B&Os get them.

#3 ·
The car is new so information on any speaker upgrades is limited at the moment. I am sure in a few months time when the car is more picked up by aftermarket companies the sound system will be one of them.

#4 ·
The first one I sat in at a dealer and played with the audio system - I was very disappointed. When I test drove the one I bought I was surprised at the system which sounded much better.
It already has a subwoofer I believe in the back. I’m wondering if there are some quality control issues with this audio system?
but as someone else already said.. it will take a bit before aftermarket offers a clear upgrade path.
btw - the BMW I had with B&O was awful… couldn’t do the highs at all without static/screech

#5 ·
I recently installed a custom 8 inch fiberglass woofer taking up the bottom area where the oem stock sub did. It is a Dayton audio HO series 8 inch woofer with a 375w rms amp (skar audio 1200 something) and makes more than enough bass. That plus some eq touchups I did on the midrange really make the sound quite good (coming from an audio systems engineer background). Anyone interested in details message me.
Automotive tire Trunk Vehicle Hood Automotive design

#6 ·
I recently installed a custom 8 inch fiberglass woofer taking up the bottom area where the oem stock sub did. It is a Dayton audio HO series 8 inch woofer with a 375w rms amp (skar audio 1200 something) and makes more than enough bass. That plus some eq touchups I did on the midrange really make the sound quite good (coming from an audio systems engineer background). Anyone interested in details message me. View attachment 4727
This is pretty awesome! Any chance you have a diy step by step? How much rewiring did you have to do?

How did you get the amp powered? What does the enclosure look like?

#9 ·
It did about 80% of the improvement. Honestly it covers up the mid/HF sins ok because it can fill in that bottom end of the vocal that is so lacking on the stock system. Still spitty without the EQ I posted to another thread but much better. Can't recommend a sub enough. From what I can tell that location is excellent as far as integration with the system (from the driver position) and doesn't have any noticeable rattles.

#12 ·
If I was in charge of tuning it and had proper tools to dial in the limiting I could make it much better than it is but there is a serious limit in spl due to the underwhelming woofer and likely underwhelming power. From what I see it appears to be a dual voice coil woofer based on the 4 wires they are using 2x normal woofer amps to drive the sub so probably 40w realistically based on it being a 5 inch...

#13 ·
Looks a great job, you may want to speak to the company who did SabaEV install and see if they can do the same in a kit form as there would be a massive market for this I am sure.

Shame its in the USA as I am sure many in the UK would be interested also.

Reactions: myosin
#14 · (Edited)
Potential issues with a kit form (likely the enclosure shell could be replicated) is they chose to cut off the tabs to make clearance which wouldn't be easy for the average Joe... Likely shipping the enclosure parts wouldn't be too much but you would need an experienced person to wire it up.

#25 · (Edited)
Think it may have been picked up from the rear wiring that normally goes to the EV6 stock subwoofer then taken into the LC2 I then outputted to Amp then to sub.

Wonder what the bass output would have been if the amp output had gone back to the stock in car sub.

You would then have some control over the Bass and its Level.

The amplifier looks like a Kicker CX800.1 amp.

Subwoofer is a DD Audio unit,

#45 ·
I just ordered a Rockville SS8P 400w 8" Slim Under-Seat Active Powered Car/Truck Subwoofer Sub. I'm planning on swapping the original speaker and it should fit in the same location. I will be using the trunk cigarette port which provides 15 Amps to power the active speaker. The port should be off when the car is off and prevent battery drain.

It should arrive in a week, I will keep you posted.

I'm hoping not to cut any wires in case I want to put the original speaker back. Does anyone know the connector type for the original Meridian trunk speaker? It has 4 pins.

#47 ·
I did turn the music on and tested with and without the trunk speaker. As others have said there was not noticeable difference. You can barely hear some bass if you put your ear on the Meridian plastic box. IMHO is just a driver wrapped in a plastic enclosure that is not receiving enough power. They tried getting more out of it by bringing some of the driver back side air around the right side of the plastic where there is an opening. I left the driver out of the car, not worth installing it back until the new one arrives. You will need 10 mm socket driver with an extension to remove the screws. I will post some pictures in a bit.

#49 ·
Hmm. Looks like KUM_060_04F is the actual part number, but their website is from like 2001 and I can't find anything approximating that PN at LCSC (though they have other KUM connectors) KUM CO., LTD.

None of these look right to me, but I don't have the connector in front of me. Looks like you'd need to match up the housing, then also get the right shell and pin crimps: Rectangular Connectors Housings | Connectors |LCSC.com - LCSC.COM

#53 ·
HA! Reading all of this reminds me of my "youth days" when I literally bought new cars based upon the quality and tech level of sound systems onboard...........now, at age 76, I seldom listen to anything while driving ( other than the vehicle itself) and focus on the craziness of high speed highway travel. Enjoy your EV 6!