Kia EV6 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

· Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
First proper day with the EV6 GT Line RWD, in Scotland at 3 degrees with rain/snow in some parts. Went to Ikea to get kids bunk beds, managed 3 mi/kWh which is almost 101.11 MPG or something, no preheating at all, just jumped in and drove, mostly motorway at 65-70 something..... if this was my old Audi ICE it would have been 35mpg.... 50miles round trip approx would have cost £10 in my old ICE...Much better in the EV6 of course.

Lots of people looking at the car I noticed, especially in traffic, at the lights etc. managed to get. 2 sets of bunk beds in the EV6, easy! never touched the sides, back seats down, front passenger seat ever so slightly forward. Guess what.... my alarm went off at Ikea. No reason, however, I unlocked it and relocked in this time with two clicks of the key lock button....no more alarms. The cabin was cold on the return journey, the heat button was off, temp set to 25 degrees... more like 2 degrees. The heat button needs to be on if you actually want heat :) bye, bye mileage :)

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
855 Posts
The other thing to remember is that the EV6 also has 30% more power than the Niro. That plus the weight and size. Most of the range tests online report getting around 300 miles in warmer weather.

· Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
After driving for a few days now in the EV6, I can see 300 miles range being easy to get for sure in warmer months. Picked my version of the EV6 up on Friday at 12 noon or thereabouts. It had 100% charge, I have driven 96 miles, the car has 58% battery left and 156 miles range left. I have not been driving like Miss Daisy :) and have had the heating on and off during drives, seat heaters on etc. 1-4 degrees here in Scotland :). If I had not been playing around with the EV6 in sport mode on the motorway/empty Scottish B roads I reckon I could have got well north of 250 miles from a full battery, current driving style is estimated 252miles from a full charge.

Has anyone had their EV6 fishtail yet? happened to me slightly on the ice yesterday coming off a roundabout. The car was very easy to bring back into alignment though, the car really did it itself tbh. Too much power in normal mode for the lower temps/wet/ice we are seeing here in Scotland.... with what look like summer SUV types on.... Thanks, Kia :).

· Registered
88 Posts
First proper day with the EV6 GT Line RWD, in Scotland at 3 degrees with rain/snow in some parts. Went to Ikea to get kids bunk beds, managed 3 mi/kWh which is almost 101.11 MPG or something, no preheating at all, just jumped in and drove, mostly motorway at 65-70 something..... if this was my old Audi ICE it would have been 35mpg.... 50miles round trip approx would have cost £10 in my old ICE...Much better in the EV6 of course.

Lots of people looking at the car I noticed, especially in traffic, at the lights etc. managed to get. 2 sets of bunk beds in the EV6, easy! never touched the sides, back seats down, front passenger seat ever so slightly forward. Guess what.... my alarm went off at Ikea. No reason, however, I unlocked it and relocked in this time with two clicks of the key lock button....no more alarms. The cabin was cold on the return journey, the heat button was off, temp set to 25 degrees... more like 2 degrees. The heat button needs to be on if you actually want heat :) bye, bye mileage :)
The Heat Button Always needs to be on if you want heat, Same as in any Kia/Hyundai EV Kona Ioniq Niro etc.

All turning off the heat button does is tell the car to do its best to reach the requested temp using ambient air, same as if you turn off the AC button in warm weather it will just try and cool with ambient.,

The EV^ (Non Heatpump) seems to be nice at 20c with Fan speed 2, keeps you warm without totally sucking the power.

· Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Could this be the cabin heat issue people are talking about, it's just a misunderstanding on how EV's work VS ICE cars?.

They have the heat button off in the Kia EV... turn the heat up to say 27 degrees, nothing happens, they think it's an issue when actually you need to. hit the heat button?. Like in an ICE car, you turn the temp up, heat comes out, you turn AC on, cool comes out. Still testing what a heat pump can do for cabin temps, looks to be nothing though and the Heatpump is really for a range.. I'll test some more.

Maybe the cabin heat issue is more than this, not looked into this in full as yet.

· Registered
88 Posts
Could this be the cabin heat issue people are talking about, it's just a misunderstanding on how EV's work VS ICE cars?.

They have the heat button off in the Kia EV... turn the heat up to say 27 degrees, nothing happens, they think it's an issue when actually you need to. hit the heat button?. Like in an ICE car, you turn the temp up, heat comes out, you turn AC on, cool comes out. Still testing what a heat pump can do for cabin temps, looks to be nothing though and the Heatpump is really for a range.. I'll test some more.

Maybe the cabin heat issue is more than this, not looked into this in full as yet.
No the issue we were seeing was when in auto mode heat would switch off and AC come on to dehunidify. But then heat would not light up again after Abbs you froze. Manual mode cures it

· Registered
12 Posts
I have had my Wind AWD for just over a week and I’m getting around 290 miles in mostly normal mode with about 3/4 around town and 1/4 freeway. I have hardly use climate control as I’m in Southern California with temperatures mostly between 60-75

· Registered
523 Posts
I have had my Wind AWD for just over a week and I’m getting around 290 miles in mostly normal mode with about 3/4 around town and 1/4 freeway. I have hardly use climate control as I’m in Southern California with temperatures mostly between 60-75
EVs are perfect city cars. Efficiency is amazing for slower driving.

As soon as EVs hit the highways, the efficiency plummets due to the energy expended to compensation for the extra drag (i.e drag is proportional to the square of velocity)

· Registered
130 Posts
EVs are perfect city cars. Efficiency is amazing for slower driving.

As soon as EVs hit the highways, the efficiency plummets due to the energy expended to compensation for the extra drag (i.e drag is proportional to the square of velocity)
When reading your description I got this picture in my head of a Rivian towing a tallish trailer into a headwind uphill in below zero temps :oops:

· Registered
20 Posts
I currently own an iPace and a Tesla and was wanting more mileage (iPace 230 miles in Spring, and Tesla 225 miles, take 7.5% off for both cars in middle of winter). I am looking an extra 50 miles if possible for summer vacation tripes, so based on online reviews and people claiming on getting 270-300 miles per charge I went for 3 test drives in an EV6.

1st test was beside car dealer, 45 minute drive on B roads and back roads, avg 2.9kwh per mile
2nd test was B roads and on motorways for 45 minutes, avg 3.2kwh per mile.
3rd test was motorway for 45 minute drive, avg 3.6kwh per mile.
B roads and backroads I was driving 20-60 mph, motorway I was driving avg 72mph.
Based on the above and 72 kWh of usable battery in the EV6 I’m working it out around 215-220 miles based on my driving, test drives was around 18-20 degrees so warm for Belfast but not very warm. Dealer was claiming car would do 270 miles on average and he was driving it for last 3 months as his company car. I told him based on my driving stats I was getting much less than 270 miles and he said with careful driving 270 miles is achievable. Based on my 3 test drives it looks like in Irish weather the EV6 does not go as far as some people are claiming - possibly they are in much warmer climates, car is still very good and if I didn’t want more mileage I might trade in iPace to have a newer car but based on miles I’ll probably pass unless someone can advise otherwise. As a side note iPace kWh per mile was very close to KV6 for all roads, Tesla was the same for B roads and back roads but kWh per mile was a lot better on motorways than two other cars.

· Registered
88 Posts
Putting it in eco with ipedal on will bring up economy a lot.

we averaged 3.1 in winter. That’s up to 3.8 lifetime now after 17k miles

seeing an easy 3.9 to 4.2 now on warmer weather

and the EV6 is 77kw usable the ioniq5 in the Uk is 72 as it uses a smaller battery than the EV6

alsp take into account the EV6 will charge at over double-the speed of an ipace

realistically looking at 210 to 230 winter. And 270 to 300 summer. Well that’s what we are seeing now

· Registered
20 Posts
I’ve seen in several places ev6 usable battery is 72.5kwh, can anyone confirm this, most lithium battery’s as far as I know are less 10%, my solar panel battery is 10kWh but only has 9kwh usable storage. I had the test drives with I pedal on all the time. Dealer said I would be losing miles by having it on the whole time which I thought was not correct. To get 300 miles you would need to be getting over 4kwh per hour on 78kwh battery, even driving 20 mph per hour I was not getting past 3..3kwh for any portion of my test drives, anyone clarify battery usable capacity?

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Note that while Bjorn got 72.4kWh (which I'm guessing is where you got the number) on his first range test, he got 73.9kWh when he tested a second EV6 (the Deep Forest Pearl EV6 Air RWD).

From the Irish brochure:

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Number

From Kia Ireland's website

Font Parallel Number Document Circle

· Registered
20 Posts
I got 72.5 from ev database, Podpoint has it at 73.5. Seems to be that average on websites for electric cars is 5kwh less than advertised capacity but they are all guesses, I would have it 6-7kwh based on charging two electric cars. From what I have read battery capacity tend to be around 5kwh less than capacity when new, go down 5% after first year and then 1-2% per year thereafter. I have an 8 year old Tesla Model S 85kwh that has lost about 20 miles from new which is fantastic so long term electric car owners are still getting great miles several years later.
I have a motorway test on Friday in an EV6 to make up my mind, I will post numbers back here later this week, I’m hoping motorway numbers are more than previous.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
It's annoying that Kia doesn't clarify if the value given is gross or net capacity. For example, the ID.4 has a gross capacity of 82kWh and a net capacity of 77kWh. Given that Kia and VW use the same supplier (SK Innovations), an educated guess would be that the listed 77.4kWh is the net capacity. But so far, I don't think anyone's gotten 77.4kWh.

· Registered
88 Posts
It's annoying that Kia doesn't clarify if the value given is gross or net capacity. For example, the ID.4 has a gross capacity of 82kWh and a net capacity of 77kWh. Given that Kia and VW use the same supplier (SK Innovations), an educated guess would be that the listed 77.4kWh is the net capacity. But so far, I don't think anyone's gotten 77.4kWh.
Kia has (Up to Now) as has Hyundai always been honest and used Net Capacity, Even advertising that its the Honest way to do it, Niro Kona etc all advertised as 64kw usable. Even the new Niro is declared net, so really cant see how the EV6 would be any difference

All I can say is from Dead empty to full, mines draws between 83 and 85kw from a 7Kw charger to fill it, So about 10% over 77kw, and with home charging being about 90% to 95% efficient I would doubt there is any less than 77kw usable capacity or its going to be having charge losses of 15% or more which would be unheard of on 7kw charging

I still think the 77 to 72kw confusion came from the fact that in the UK the Ioniq5 is supplied with a 72kw usable battery (It has 2 empty slots in the pack). where in the US it was sold with the full 77. The EVDatabase just seems to throw in guesses,

For the kona and Niro they say its 67.5 / 64 never challenging the 64 stated from Kia/Hyundai who have never said 67.5 anywhere
for the Ioniq5 which is 72kw in the UK they are saying 72.5 Gross 70 Nett (2.5 Loss)
for the EV6 which is 77kw in the UK they are saying 77.4 Gross 72.5 net (4.9 Loss)!!!!

Its illogical for Kia / Hyundai to have jumped from accurate actual usable figures on Cars like the Ioniq/Soul/Kona/Niro. To just go screw it lets use Gross on the new stuff!!

· Registered
20 Posts
There is no way Kia are advertising net charging when everyone else is advertising gross figure. Most consumers are looking at how large a battery is in deciding on what to buy. 5kw less than capacity seems to be the average figure for lithium batteries when new whether it is in a car or part of a battery bank. So on my figures I would have it when new about 73kwh and will drop to about 70kwh after one year and then a 1kwh drop every year thereafter.

· Registered
88 Posts
There is no way Kia are advertising net charging when everyone else is advertising gross figure. Most consumers are looking at how large a battery is in deciding on what to buy. 5kw less than capacity seems to be the average figure for lithium batteries when new whether it is in a car or part of a battery bank. So on my figures I would have it when new about 73kwh and will drop to about 70kwh after one year and then a 1kwh drop every year thereafter.
Kia and Hyundai have ALWAYS advertised NETT as have RENAULT and loads of others it was Nissan Who started the Gross underhandedness and Telsa with you can guess we arnt telling you, Those that advertise Nett have always outnumbered GROSS

Or are you saying the Niro and Kona that are advertised at 64kw and always have been are 64 Gross!!!!!!

Example of Kia/Hyundai Honest Battery Advertising (Direct from The Brochure)
Font Line Screenshot Software Multimedia

61 - 80 of 117 Posts