Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know definitively, the width of the EV6, with the door mirrors folded?

The most quoted figure is 1890mm, but I can’t find exactly what that refers to. In the published Kia spec sheet, the diagram which may show that is blurred.

I contacted a dealer who said that the effective maximum effective width with mirrors folded is 1955mm, but I haven’t seen that figure quoted anywhere else.

I’ve yet to see the car in the flesh, but I suppose what I may do, is measure it myself at a dealer, and/or arrange a test drive and bring it home to assess it.

(The only way I can charge an EV would be in my garage, so if it doesn’t fit, it’s a non-starter)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had the same question, as I have a very narrow driveway. There is a guy in the EV6 Facebook group who said he was able to download the 3D model and determine the frontal area, so I asked him if he could also determine whether or not that measurement included the mirrors or not (see here). He said the 1890 figure includes the mirrors. Honestly though, I kind of question that. The vague blurry drawings on the EV6 spec sheet LOOK like the lines are drawn to the outside of the fenders, not the mirrors. And that dimension just seems a bit narrow to include the mirrors open.

All that to say, I'd like to definitively know as well.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
326 Posts
I had the same question, as I have a very narrow driveway. There is a guy in the EV6 Facebook group who said he was able to download the 3D model and determine the frontal area, so I asked him if he could also determine whether or not that measurement included the mirrors or not (see here). He said the 1890 figure includes the mirrors. Honestly though, I kind of question that. The vague blurry drawings on the EV6 spec sheet LOOK like the lines are drawn to the outside of the fenders, not the mirrors. And that dimension just seems a bit narrow to include the mirrors open.

All that to say, I'd like to definitively know as well.
It's definitely the width of the BODY, not the mirrors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got this from the Belgian spec sheet, you can actually make out the dimensions in this, unlike the UK one. (sorry, I don't have the source link)

View attachment 503
Thanks for that. Actually then, looking at the GT-line from the front, if you imagine the mirrors folded back, I would guess that they wouldn’t extend beyond the outer edges of the body itself, which looks to be widest at the wheel arches i.e. 1890mm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for that. Actually then, looking at the GT-line from the front, if you imagine the mirrors folded back, I would guess that they wouldn’t extend beyond the outer edges of the body itself, which looks to be widest at the wheel arches i.e. 1890mm
Tough to say really. If it were really tight, I'd err on the side of caution and assume the mirrors when folded amount to a total width of 1955mm as was quoted to you by the dealer, extending beyond the widest part of the body by less than 30mm on each side. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just had my test drive today and measured the width - with the mirrors folded the width was 1896mm (assuming the sales person was holding the tape measure in the correct position on the opposite side of the car!)
Thanks for the info! I don't suppose you measured with the mirrors open did you? One unfortunate thing: if you fold the mirrors because space is tight, I expect you lose the ability to use the cameras to see how close you are to scraping, since they would no longer be aimed properly. 😕

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
52 Posts
Let me give you all a bit of a warning. Make sure you don't try to open your rear hatch in your garage with the garage door open! Make sure the garage door is down and not positioned over your new car as there may not be clearance between the open hatch door and the open garage door. Once the garage door is closed check how much "head room" you have and make adjustments to the hatch as needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe this will help
I don't know where that site gets their info, but I've not found it to be very reliable. This is another case. Their "width with mirrors" data is the same value Kia lists, which is clearly the width without mirrors. It's narrower than what was measured above with the mirrors folded.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Would the self park option be reliable enough to park car in garage with minimal clearance or would it sound off collision warnings?
Hey @Topgin64 , happy Tuesday and welcome to the forum!!!

So, YES and YES. Hahaha

The smart park assist would work great. It will also sound off on the sonar sensors while going in and out. it will NOT hit anything as it's too smart for that. LOL

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does the car have to be perfectly straight to move into garage or would it adjust the steering?
For this application, it would pull straight ahead. For the Smart parking assist with a parking space, it would adjust steering to park the car but that is not what will happen with a garage situation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the info! I don't suppose you measured with the mirrors open did you? One unfortunate thing: if you fold the mirrors because space is tight, I expect you lose the ability to use the cameras to see how close you are to scraping, since they would no longer be aimed properly. 😕
Hi dc30307
I am a KIA Genius so my role is to help with any questions such as something like this would you like me to measure and get back to you? I can also test if with mirrors folded in you lose the 360 view camera and side profile cameras?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi dc30307
I am a KIA Genius so my role is to help with any questions such as something like this would you like me to measure and get back to you? I can also test if with mirrors folded in you lose the 360 view camera and side profile cameras?
Unrelated question. If I drive in Europe will I need to do anything to the headlights, or will they automatically recognise the change?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi, yes, if you have an EV6 available, I'm sure many would appreciate that measurement! I can't imagine the 360 view working properly with the mirrors folded, but it would be interesting to see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, yes, if you have an EV6 available, I'm sure many would appreciate that measurement! I can't imagine the 360 view working properly with the mirrors folded, but it would be interesting to see what happens. Thanks!
Hi,
After some measurement and i'm going to air on the side of caution giving you a bit of room at the edges of the mirrors I have calculated the width you would need is 2250 mm to be confident in the EV6 fitting.

In regards to the cameras please see attached a photo of the screen with the mirrors folded in :)

I hope this helps!
Vehicle Hood Automotive mirror Tire Automotive design

1 - 20 of 33 Posts