Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice today I switched the motors on and could not get it to engage into DRIVE!
Car is 14 months old with 31000 miles on the clock. It was -4C outside so I switched on remote climate before starting my journey. After 10 mins of remote climate I loaded the boot then got in to drive. 15 mins later and after multiple attempts to get into Drive I was going nowhere. All electrics came on as normal each time I tried, I got in and out of the car a few times then eventually I tried opening the boot and closing, surprisingly this worked and I was able to proceed as normal. At no point prior to this did I get an open door or boot warning. I have had one before when boot was wide open.

2nd time I had driven 2miles got out then returned 5 mins later onlyto find no DRIVE selection available. Turned off then on and this time it worked!

wondering if it’s like a PC restart?

Anyone experienced similar?

· Registered
82 Posts
I know we’ve had some of these problems at work (I work at a dealer). Something about the driver put it into drive before the car stated ”ready” (not pressed the brake pedal hard enough) and other cases were solved by letting the car sit for about 5 minutes (or loosening - on the battery). This was some time ago and we haven’t had these problem for quite some time:)

· Registered
293 Posts
Got stranded by something like this…

The dealer claimed there was a software fix, but we cancelled the car after that.

What the other poster says would make sense as a helpful Tesla driver used a 12v jump and a Kia driver pressed some buttons todo some sort of reset.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know we’ve had some of these problems at work (I work at a dealer). Something about the driver put it into drive before the car stated ”ready” (not pressed the brake pedal hard enough) and other cases were solved by letting the car sit for about 5 minutes (or loosening - on the battery). This was some time ago and we haven’t had these problem for quite some time:)
I dare say that they will come back to haunt you. I am an early adopter and I treated my journey prep no different to any other! it’s a ghost in the machine and I expect to encounter it again sometime!

· Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
567 Posts
Zombie mode, maybe?

· Registered
82 Posts
I dare say that they will come back to haunt you. I am an early adopter and I treated my journey prep no different to any other! it’s a ghost in the machine and I expect to encounter it again sometime!
:ROFLMAO: You’re probably right… Unless it’s been some kind of fix in some of the updates?! It’s been the ”earlier” cars that have had the problems, not a single ”new” (2022?) one.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zombie mode, maybe?
Thank you I will try that if it happens again.

· Registered
450 Posts
Car is 14 months old with 31000 miles on the clock. It was -4C outside so I switched on remote climate before starting my journey. After 10 mins of remote climate I loaded the boot then got in to drive. 15 mins later and after multiple attempts to get into Drive I was going nowhere. All electrics came on as normal each time I tried, I got in and out of the car a few times then eventually I tried opening the boot and closing, surprisingly this worked and I was able to proceed as normal. At no point prior to this did I get an open door or boot warning. I have had one before when boot was wide open.

2nd time I had driven 2miles got out then returned 5 mins later onlyto find no DRIVE selection available. Turned off then on and this time it worked!

This might sound daft, and I don't think you are, but are you absolutely sure you had your foot on the break before pressing the power button? If you don't follow that process the car will all light up, as though it is ready to go, but won't go into drive 👍 I know it's happened to me 😂

· Registered
7 Posts
This might sound daft, and I don't think you are, but are you absolutely sure you had your foot on the break before pressing the power button? If you don't follow that process the car will all light up, as though it is ready to go, but won't go into drive 👍 I know it's happened to me 😂
Embarrassed to say I did this at the dealers when stopping in the day after picking it up. Accessory mode looks all like drive mode, and to be fair it tells you.. but new-to-car is new-to-car and I didn't even know you had to depress the brake before hitting the Start button. In my own defense even the dealer owner didn't know what was going on, as I was their first EV6 sale. That was 9 months ago now and I can laugh at myself at least :)

· Registered
74 Posts

Is your software up to date? This was a known issue for some on early models. You must press brake pedal, hit power on, keep foot on brake and put in gear. If the car is in accessory mode, i.e. no brake when powering on, the car will sometimes refuse to go into gear.
Reset by pressing brake, putting in park, power off. Then try powering on with brake pedal depressed.

· Registered
EV6 GT-line AWD 2022
48 Posts
I have had similar issues now twice, see Start problem . And there seems to be others also. I had the latest software in place at the time (Oct -22). Now updated to Nov -22, but I don't know if it still could happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts