Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Just joined today as I was looking for some information after my wife had problems with the EV6.

Our EV6 Air is only a week old and over 600 miles on the clock.
My wife jumps into car today and it wont go into Drive or Reverse!
So I come out, the power button will not do anything; Car seems to be on but start/power button will not turn off car; The Key fob will not lock unlock car.
It will go into Neutral and Park.
I removed the Chilli Water bottle from the front cup holder; Put the key fob in there instead of the other cup holder; Pressed Park, released and engaged the parking brake and Voila! It started to go into Drive and Reverse again.
During this time the little symbol of the car in orange with a key was shown on bottom left corner of instrument cluster. I thought maybe it was to do with not finding the key fob. But apparently it means the opposite. I am slightly concerned for I obviously wouldnt want this to happen when we are away from home and then not to get home.

Has anyone experienced anything like this in their EV6?
I am thinking it's the sensor for recognising the Key fob thats to blame. Maybe just maybe the Chilli bottle had a part to play as well. I must see if I can reproduce the problem again.

Thanks all!
Ray

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi All!

Just joined today as I was looking for some information after my wife had problems with the EV6.

So I come out, the power button will not do anything; Car seems to be on but start/power button will not turn off car; The Key fob will not lock unlock car.
I removed the Chilli Water bottle from the front cup holder; Put the key fob in there instead of the other cup holder; Pressed Park, released and engaged the parking brake and Voila! It started to go into Drive and Reverse again.
During this time the little symbol of the car in orange with a key was shown on bottom left corner of instrument cluster. I thought maybe it was to do with not finding the key fob. But apparently it means the opposite. I am slightly concerned for I obviously wouldnt want this to happen when we are away from home and then not to get home.

I am thinking it's the sensor for recognising the Key fob thats to blame. Maybe just maybe the Chilli bottle had a part to play as well. I must see if I can reproduce the problem again.

Thanks all!
Ray
Make sure The 12 V battery Still has juice

·
Registered
192 Posts
Chilli bottle is metal. Could you repeat the problem by re-inserting the bottle.
The question is also where is the recognition of the key placed. I expect somewhere around the startbutton. This means remote is very near the start button, it could be that it deflects the radio signal so it will not go to receiver...

Main question, could you repeat it by re-inserting the bottle and placing the key in the same position behind the bottle?

If not I would definitely check with the dealer if they see any issues with the 12V battery

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chilli bottle is metal. Could you repeat the problem by re-inserting the bottle.
The question is also where is the recognition of the key placed. I expect somewhere around the startbutton. This means remote is very near the start button, it could be that it deflects the radio signal so it will not go to receiver...

Main question, could you repeat it by re-inserting the bottle and placing the key in the same position behind the bottle?

If not I would definitely check with the dealer if they see any issues with the 12V battery
Hi,
I tried to repeat problem but car is working perfectly. Yes, I assumed because the chilli bottle was metal that it may have been the problem. On the UVO Mobile Phone App it inidcates that the 12V battery is OK.

What would really be useful for these cars is to know how to reset them.

I will be talk to the dealer and see.

Interesting problem!
Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I have my key in my coat pocket, which is on the back seat and not had any issues with the car not picking up the key, suspect it is just a software glitch.

·
Registered
EV6 77kWh RWD Steel Grey (05/22)
168 Posts
Just make sure to never switch to R or D when the "Ready" sign is not showing on the dashboard. If you do, turn the car off, lock it, open it and try again.

Switching to Drive or Reverse while the car is not ready, could trigger the anti-theft protection. Doing so repeatedly (trying a few times to switch gears) might trigger a fault that needs a 12V reset or a wait period for the car to reset itself.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just make sure to never switch to R or D when the "Ready" sign is not showing on the dashboard. If you do, turn the car off, lock it, open it and try again.

Switching to Drive or Reverse while the car is not ready, could trigger the anti-theft protection. Doing so repeatedly (trying a few times to switch gears) might trigger a fault that needs a 12V reset or a wait period for the car to reset itself.
Spot on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When it is on -> Key fob detected -> OK (Strange to give it orange?!?)
When it goes on and goes out -> key is not detected...
It's a bit weird way of showing it's status. The person must have tought it was still working with old fashioned dashboard with real lights that only have 1 colour...

But it should be ON and ORANGE. When it is NOT on, the key is not detected.
When it returns worthwile to check with below info.. I would change the key fob battery (most likely a standard CR2032) just to be sure...
Green Screenshot Computer Font Gadget

Rectangle Font Pattern Circle Number

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would recommend not to put the key in the second water bottle holder and metal bottle between the key fob and EV-start button.
Most likely it will function 9 out of 10 times, but radio signals will not penetrate the metal bottle making it harder to detect.

It is clear the reception is in the EV-button... Putting the key on the EV-button would even allow to start the car without the battery in the key-fob. Fallback system.. Worth to test once...

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent! This is all great information!!
I will keep an eye on it and do as suggested here.
The car is booked into Dealers for the 3rd January. I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts

This happened to me on a test drive, the dealer had to come out and rescuse us. They couldnt get the car going and left it by the side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,983 Posts
This happened to me on a test drive, the dealer had to come out and rescuse us. They couldnt get the car going and left it by the side of the road.
Oh that's not good first impression, have you had the chance to get another test drive?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Happened to me and I followed the guidance earlier on this thread leaving keys out of range of car and I could power it down. This happened one hr after collecting my new car. Back to dealer for software upgrade. My problem seems to be linked to a faulty door lock/sensor - the dealer quoted me 3 months to get the part!!! Waiting for them to call back again with a more acceptable solution while I drive a courtesy car around and my EV6 sits in their garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All!

Thanks all!
Ray
Hi..like Ray....I have just joined today and my EV6 is doing exactly the same. The power is on as if the car is switch on and ready to drive...but I cant engage D or R. I cant lock the car and i cant power it down....yet the car recognises when the key is away from the car (bleeps and display panel says its away from the car)...but I cant lock the doors...bar remotely from the Kia Connect App.
I have tried the fob in all parts of the car with no success....any thoughts/ideas ?
The dealer doesnt have any ideas either.
John

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,983 Posts
Hi..like Ray....I have just joined today and my EV6 is doing exactly the same. The power is on as if the car is switch on and ready to drive...but I cant engage D or R. I cant lock the car and i cant power it down....yet the car recognises when the key is away from the car (bleeps and display panel says its away from the car)...but I cant lock the doors...bar remotely from the Kia Connect App.
I have tried the fob in all parts of the car with no success....any thoughts/ideas ?
The dealer doesnt have any ideas either.
John
Have you followed what others have suggested on previous posts?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts