Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 FE - Silver & Charger
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems there are plenty of new members who haven't been living on here for 9 months, so here's a quick explainer on what you're seeing listed at dealers/online:

1,500 First Editions were "reserved" in June. These are listed online, frequently and incorrectly, as GT-Line. However, it is confusing because the window sticker details the car as a GT-Line with a $2,600 First Edition package. MSRP of these should be approx. $59,885, 77.4 battery/AWD, and they are available in Steel Matte Gray/Black, Glacier/Green, and Urban Yellow/Black. The paint should not be an additional cost on these vehicles, and the FE package includes illuminated door sills, unique interior, black wheel arches, 2 years XM Radio, and a "gift" (most selected a home charger to be delivered ~3 weeks after purchase). They are supposed to be sold to reservation holders only at MSRP, but once the holder passes, they are free to mark up like any non-reserved car. If you see one listed at a dealer, your first question should be if it is available for a test drive or sale (passed on by res. holder). Anecdotally, it also appears the dealer markups are collapsing from $15K to $0-5K if you walk and get a callback from the dealer.

I've included photos below of the FE's unique (or just different from GT-L) aspects. Many of these are shared with the Wind line (essentially the black exterior areas, arches, and black seats), which has been a huge topic of discussion and some disgust on this forum.

GT-Line has a different front and rear look, as well as other interior options available. It also has a flat bottom wheel, body color wheel arches, and a different armrest/dashboard motif. It shares the same level of kit as the FE otherwise.

None are being sold in the US with any cables, only the V2L adapter.

Also, there are dealers on here (@MurlinatoR) taking MSRP orders, and plenty of members sharing details on dealers & markups in many locations.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Grille Automotive tire

Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Head restraint Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Font

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great post, thanks. I just joined and have been lurking for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on the MachE GT I was going to get and will wait for the EV6 GT to come out.
How do you like your car so far?
Totally love it. I test drove a Mach-E Select, which is not apples to apples trim wise, but the EV6 outclassed it in every material way. It just feels significantly more premium and thought out; it's extremely clear who spent more time designing their first true ground-up EV.

I think the only real gripe I have is driver's headroom. It seems to really depend on your personal proportions and driving position geometry; not all have complained. I do sit a little farther back than I would normally to give myself a little more distance between my head/hair/hat/sunglasses and the oh-sh*t handle (which I'm considering removing, from both a comfort and safety perspective). I'm 6', but with a long torso, upright driving position, and military posture.

It is just stunning in person, both for me walking up to it repeatedly and for all the gawking it gets. Nobody knows what it is without seeing the logo (and sometimes even after). The matte paint, for all its anxiety induction, is just outrageously good looking. Valet drivers in ATLANTA, home of the most silly and ostentatious cars this side of Miami or Beverly Hills, have been genuinely blown away by it.

Most importantly, it drives like a 4,500 pound dream. You are always squarely balanced, it moves so, so smoothly in all drive modes, and the regen braking is just fantastically well implemented across all four levels (though I-Pedal can be a bit much over 20 mph).

I also think it's a steal at its post-tax credit price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the write-up @Lightning44 I'm consdering getting one. How concerned are you (or should I be) about maintaining the paint? I can't wax it and I can't bring it through a car wash gives me a little bit of pause. Is there reason to be concerned? For instance, how do you think the matte paint will hold up in 7 years?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think you need to also mention the different side sill and belt line molding that are on the FE. Here are the feature differences from the EV6 Features & Options Excel document that was posted on kiamedia.com.

First EditionGT Line
Gloss black lower fascia bumperBody color & gloss black lower fascia bumper
Gloss black wheel arch, side sill, belt-line moldingBody color wheel arch, side sill, belt-line molding
Geonic crashpad and center console lidGT-Line center console lid & crashpad design
Round steering wheelD-shaped steering wheel
First edition door scuff platesDeluxe scuff plates
First edition numbered badgeN/A
First edition owner's manual portfolio (in glove box)N/A

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the write-up @Lightning44 I'm consdering getting one. How concerned are you (or should I be) about maintaining the paint? I can't wax it and I can't bring it through a car wash gives me a little bit of pause. Is there reason to be concerned? For instance, how do you think the matte paint will hold up in 7 years?
I honestly don’t even know how concerned I need to be. It can’t be THAT fragile, right? Right???

Never taking through a car wash is fine by me, but I’m certainly not paying detailer prices every month.

I bought the Dr. Beasley kit off Amazon (assorted washes and finish, bunch of wipes/applicators, and a nice bucket with false floor for muck). My outlook is just take time for a good wash every month, and give it a good pressure hose down/spot treat every 2 weeks.

If I lived somewhere with nastier weather (winter salting, slush, mud) I would never ever have bought this one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lol....yeah, I was watching the Dr. Beasley videos on YouTube and deciding whether I have the time to do as you describe. The idea of never being able to bring it to a car wash, even a self-wash one, because of the soaps/waxes they use throws me a bit but maybe I can convince myself into it. Sure looks pretty!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I found some videos to show the differences between the FE and GT-Line crashpads. The following FE video starts at the point where it shows the geonic crashpad design.

The following GT-Line video starts at the point where it shows the GT-Line center console and crashpad design. You can see this one has the diagonal lines instead of the geonic pattern of the FE.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the $2,600 question.

It was initially just the leverage to buy at MSRP with the reservation, and the idea we’d have the First EV6s on the road. Only the former was true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me, the ability to buy at MSRP was the biggest benefit. My dealer let me convert my MSRP FE reservation to an MSRP Wind w/tech package; saving me $5k and getting it earlier. I picked up the Wind on Wednesday and there is still no info on when my (former) FE would come in. The only features I miss are the pop out handles and heated back seats (for the kids).

·
Registered
607 Posts
Dumb question: besides the cosmetic differences in the outside/inside trim, 2 years XM Radio, gift and the First Edition badges, what drives the First Edition $2600 more than a GT-Line?
That is the $2,600 question.

It was initially just the leverage to buy at MSRP with the reservation, and the idea we’d have the First EV6s on the road. Only the former was true.
Exactly, it's a $2600 question which I answered by walking away from my FE reservation. You're getting a numbered badge, special scuff plates, special owners manual portfolio, special crashpad/center console lid, 24 months of Sirius satellite radio and a "free" gift. I chose the free level 2 charger as my free gift which is a Chargepoint HomeFlex CPH50 charger and I can get one through my electricity provider for basically $260 including tax. If we were getting the FEs months ahead of everyone else who didn't reserve then maybe it would be worth it but that's not the case. IMHO I don't think it's worth to pay a premium for the FE when the exterior is identical to the lower Wind trim except for the 20 inch wheels.

Edit: I actually like the FE crashpad and center console pattern over the ones on the regular GT-Line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Edit: I actually like the FE crashpad and center console pattern over the ones on the regular GT-Line.
ditto, while I like the external grill and rear end of the gt a bit more than the FE the stripes on the crash pad and center console (I believe the stripes carry over there) are a bit too “boy racer” for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
ditto, while I like the external grill and rear end of the gt a bit more than the FE the stripes on the crash pad and center console (I believe the stripes carry over there) are a bit too “boy racer” for me.
I hoping the FE crashpad and center console lid parts will be available to purchase for a reasonable price because then I'd consider swapping them out for the ones on the GT-Line when I get mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts