Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
GT-S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I’m a little paranoid but due to a spate of high end vehicle crime in the area I wonder if anyone can suggest a simple extra security measure to prevent the car from being started as I’m away on holiday. Low life have been breaking into homes, stealing the keys and then making an easy get away with the car. To prevent the house being turned over in an attempt to find keys I wonder if it’s better to make the keys less difficult to find but pull a fuse or something so it will hopefully leave the criminals somewhat confused and hopefully leave it for an easier option. Not too sure if pulling any control type fuse will affect error codes and subsequent operation when it is replaced.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Leave a "dummy" Kia fob not linked to your vehicle lying about. Take out the battery and place it next to the fob. If they do break in, they will see the fob and try to install the battery to make it work. When they realize it doesn't work, they will think the remote is defective and go on to another victim.

The best way to make the key difficult to find is to take it with you. Or give it to my wife.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Make sure to take th
Leave a "dummy" Kia fob not linked to your vehicle lying about. Take out the battery and place it next to the fob. If they do break in, they will see the fob and try to install the battery to make it work. When they realize it doesn't work, they will think the remote is defective and go on to another victim.

The best way to make the key difficult to find is to take it with you. Or give it to my wife.
Make sure to take the real key with you or well hidden in a Faraday pouch (or the microwave) to prevent relay theft.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe turn on valet mode before you leave? Limits it to 10mph I believe? Would at least make recovery easier if they abandon it in front of your house.
Turn the breaker to your garage door off, Unplugging the garage door opener and disconnecting the opener arm will make it a royal pain in the ass to get the car OUT of the garage if they do find your keys and start the car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had a similar chat with a Tesla owner recently again; they have pin to drive now, so... Kia doesn't have this.

Anyway, Good luck to anyone trying to start the EV6 since they gain access inside; my Mrs tried my EV6 recently 10 mins before she figured out you need to press the brake first then hit the start button. She was in accessory mode, then the mode after this, the car wouldn't let her put in drive mode because or a few simple things. lol. I get the issue that people will come through your door looking for the keys; by the time they do this, the house alarm downstairs is triggered, and they try and start the car (good luck). We're some 10 mins in with a lot of noise and people coming out of their houses, but it can happen for sure, so what do we do...

I think visual deterrence is better and would put people off. GPS stickers were off-putting as a potential tracking could be on the car (which it is really, Kia Connect), and house alarms were off-putting as they can trigger anytime if set. I remember car thieves talking about on the TV when it was on a while back, some interview with car thieves. Steering wheel locks, a car on your driveway is a dead giveaway where the keys are...lol, and it puts your insurance premiums up. Parking in the street would confuse thieves as to what house the keys are in?, driveway bollards? Land mines?, lol. A guard dog or large dog was also off-putting for thieves.

I had a few things off my car and tested some things out... Pulling a hood fuse stopped the car from starting entirely. I popped the hood and removed the large black fuse MULTI FUSE-1 or MULTI FUSE-3. Also, I disconnected the ABS from the sensor from one wheel, tool 5 seconds; you will find it VERY hard to drive the car, no power steering could hardly steer the car at all, 100s of errors, hardly any brakes, these would be good if going away for a while?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could disconnect the HV battery connection in the fuse box under the hood. But this comes with the added risk that you won't have anything available to charge your 12V battery while disconnected.

You could also disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal which would prevent the vehicle from entering the "Ready" state to drive. This comes with the issue of the car then won't have any of the 12V monitoring systems available (I'm unclear if the 12V is needed for the HV BMS).

Those are two actions that can render the car undriveable that will slow down a thief who is in a hurry and doesn't understand how EV's work or know more details about the EV6 specifically.

·
Registered
GT-S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. Some great ideas to ponder on. Pity there's not a PIN protect mode as Logicpro8 mentions. This would have been ideal. Surely the functionality is easy enough to accomodate within the firmware, perhaps it'll appear in a subsequent update. I think I may experiment with Multi-fuse1 and 3. In reality I don't think the looters would hang about for too long searching for keys with the house alarm blarring so perhaps a good hiding place is all that is required. I've read the EV6 key has a motion sensor which eliminates the need for a Faraday pouch, can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
First Look at you neighborhood crime statistics which easily accessible in most communities both in the US as well as Canada and Western Europe. This will give you and indicator if your paranoia is warranted. 2nd should you embrace your deeper paranoia and let you take you on flights of fantasy then by all means install a Home security systems. But remember they only deter but are not fool proof and if someone wants to break in they will and in most cases it will be a snatch and grab, which is the case for most burglaries.

Worried about theft of car, placing your FOB in highest point of your house or apartment. If you have an attic absolutely put it there, most crooks do not want to linger about looking for something or bringing undo attention to themselves unless they know what they are looking for. They also don't want to waste time or energy to scavenge in attics. And remember most crooks are not looking to steal Kias, but other high end manufacturers unless they have a customer to sell too. And if that's the case they'll drive a truck and just haul your car away.

And of course you could have someone house sit while your away. Most crooks will have cased the neighborhood, should they feel the place is occupied then they will be less likely to break in. What to be most afraid about is not the theft of the car but the harnessing of the airbags and or catalytic converters should you have a non EV car by some local gang. Let a reliable neighbor know that you will be leaving your car and house unattended and let them know what lights you have left on. So either embrace your inner paranoia and be proactive or just release it and realize its only stuff.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Kia had a massive theft problem in Minneapolis until Kia added the right immobilization features. In the mean time, Minneapolis police were suggesting The Club as an effective deterrent.
It's common with young gangs in many cities. Kia was an easy target since they were using the old style manual key lock instead of chip recognition. Fortunately you can't "hot wire" an EV6.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had a great idea.... What about leave the home charger in the car, even if it's finished charging, the car won't move unless its property disconnected. My home charger stays locked until I unlock it even after full charge. They won't know what to do at all to start the car, even keys won't make it move :) you need the Kia Connect app or your home charger RFID card/App to unlock the cable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts