1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2013 Boxster, 2017 Mercedes GLC 43AMG
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is the Monroney for my FE. It comes with:
1. 1,000kWh free with Electrify America
2. 1 year free with Kia Connect
3. SirriusXM free for 2 yrs
4. Level 2 charger (free gift selection with FE order)

Looking to order a Kia hitch receiver for a bike rack ($540 plus install). Paying MSRP.

Attachments

Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte

Looking to order a Kia hitch receiver for a bike rack ($540 plus install). Paying MSRP.
Yes, finally someone in the West Side got confirmation 馃憦馃徑馃檶馃徎 I haven鈥檛 heard from my dealer of choice here in Van Nuys, CA 馃槙

Registered
Kia EV6 First Edition Matte Grey
Yes, finally someone in the West Side got confirmation 馃憦馃徑馃檶馃徎 I haven鈥檛 heard from my dealer of choice here in Van Nuys, CA 馃槙
Hey I'm getting my FE from van nuys as well and they called me today to tell me it's expected to arrive on the 10th. I'll be calling them tomorrow for more details.

Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
Hey I'm getting my FE from van nuys as well and they called me today to tell me it's expected to arrive on the 10th. I'll be calling them tomorrow for more details.
Lucky! When I called I spoke to Marilyne in sales and she said it was expected end of Jan lol. I sent an email to her asking about pricing and GT Line info but nothing so far. Maybe you鈥檒l get yours before I even get to see mine.

Registered

lol. I got SirriusXM 2 years free with my Bolt. Never once used it.

Registered
SO, finally received a call from the dealer, saying my car is scheduled to arrive the day before the Super Bowl. I asked about a market adjustment and he said that, while he hasn't seen pricing info yet and they're "not as aggressive as some of the other dealers," he "couldn't imagine" that they wouldn't add a ~$3k adjustment. So we'll see whether I end up actually taking delivery or not.

Registered
EV6 FE

Dealer is asking for a premium over MSRP for EV6-FE. Any recommendation on how not to pay the premium. Not sure if paying premium is worth it as it washes the federal tax credits. Also are there any other Kia incentives for buying the EV6-FE (e.g. APR, competitive discounts, graduate, etc)

Registered
Kia Korea: Hey Kia USA, we鈥檝e got this great new car, the EV6. Everyone loves it and it鈥檚 great bang for buck. Let鈥檚 get on with selling it in the USA!

Kia USA: Nah, we鈥檝e plotted a marketing campaign to time deliveries with the Super Bowl. Those suckers can wait.

Kia Korea: But won鈥檛 that mean that people buying the first edition won鈥檛 get their cars any quicker than anyone else?

Kia USA: Well, technically yes. Actually just yes. We did think about changing FE to just E.

Kia Korea: So what are we doing to reward FE buyers?

Kia USA: Tracey on reception designed a cool sticker to put on the console of the FE. We鈥檒l charge an extra couple of thousand bucks and downgrade the exterior trim because marketing.

Kia Korea: Hmm. Anyway, the car is still great value right. Everyone鈥檚 going to love us when they see what value for money the EV6 represents, right?

Kia USA: About that. One or two (thousand) dealers have decided that they don鈥檛 like your policy of offering amazing value for money. They鈥檙e adding like $10k to $15k extra in to their prices because capitalism. In the interest of transparency, the dealer will be keeping all of this markup. They seem to be taking the view that they should make a lot more profit per car than you do.

Kia Korea: Wait what? They鈥檙e screwing up our core policy of price and brand positioning to make a short term buck? What the hell are you guys doing about it?

Kia USA: Well, we sent a very business like letter to the dealers pointing out that what they were doing isn鈥檛 very cool and might take a bit of the shine off the whole Super Bowl launch thing.

Kia Korea: Thank goodness for that! Great save guys.

Kia USA: About that. Turns out they can pretty much do what they want, even though our brand is right above their little dealership doors.

You couldn鈥檛 make this up. In years to come, this will be used as a test case for marketing students. How not to launch a great product in your most important market.

The problem isn鈥檛 Kia Korea. In some ways, it isn鈥檛 even the dealers, who are after all professional sales people (albeit short sighted). It certainly isn鈥檛 with customers who have, with good faith, reserved cars well ahead of time and not purchased more immediately available alternatives.

These issues lie fairly and squarely with Kia USA or Kia USA Marketing or whatever it is they call themselves. They have made some painful errors around packaging of the FE and they are unable to exert any meaningful control over their distributors, who seem to have complete freedom to trash the brand just as much as they like.

Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
Kia Korea: Hey Kia USA, we鈥檝e got this great new car, the EV6. Everyone loves it and it鈥檚 great bang for buck. Let鈥檚 get on with selling it in the USA!

Kia USA: Nah, we鈥檝e plotted a marketing campaign to time deliveries with the Super Bowl. Those suckers can wait.

Kia Korea: But won鈥檛 that mean that people buying the first edition won鈥檛 get their cars any quicker than anyone else?

Kia USA: Well, technically yes. Actually just yes. We did think about changing FE to just E.

Kia Korea: So what are we doing to reward FE buyers?

Kia USA: Tracey on reception designed a cool sticker to put on the console of the FE. We鈥檒l charge an extra couple of thousand bucks and downgrade the exterior trim because marketing.

Kia Korea: Hmm. Anyway, the car is still great value right. Everyone鈥檚 going to love us when they see what value for money the EV6 represents, right?

Kia USA: About that. One or two (thousand) dealers have decided that they don鈥檛 like your policy of offering amazing value for money. They鈥檙e adding like $10k to $15k extra in to their prices because capitalism. In the interest of transparency, the dealer will be keeping all of this markup. They seem to be taking the view that they should make a lot more profit per car than you do.

Kia Korea: Wait what? They鈥檙e screwing up our core policy of price and brand positioning to make a short term buck? What the hell are you guys doing about it?

Kia USA: Well, we sent a very business like letter to the dealers pointing out that what they were doing isn鈥檛 very cool and might take a bit of the shine off the whole Super Bowl launch thing.

Kia Korea: Thank goodness for that! Great save guys.

Kia USA: About that. Turns out they can pretty much do what they want, even though our brand is right above their little dealership doors.

You couldn鈥檛 make this up. In years to come, this will be used as a test case for marketing students. How not to launch a great product in your most important market.

The problem isn鈥檛 Kia Korea. In some ways, it isn鈥檛 even the dealers, who are after all professional sales people (albeit short sighted). It certainly isn鈥檛 with customers who have, with good faith, reserved cars well ahead of time and not purchased more immediately available alternatives.

These issues lie fairly and squarely with Kia USA or Kia USA Marketing or whatever it is they call themselves. They have made some painful errors around packaging of the FE and they are unable to exert any meaningful control over their distributors, who seem to have complete freedom to trash the brand just as much as they like.
We were both channeling the same "case study" idea today!

Honestly, this is likely going to be in a book about the decline and eventual extinction of the dealer model (and probably some big brands, too). The markups on pre-ordered and committed FE's may warrant its own chapter, but my guess is that it just gets cited as a particularly egregious example.

Registered
We were both channeling the same "case study" idea today!

Honestly, this is likely going to be in a book about the decline and eventual extinction of the dealer model (and probably some big brands, too). The markups on pre-ordered and committed FE's may warrant its own chapter, but my guess is that it just gets cited as a particularly egregious example.
Yes, I think you have a point about the demise of the dealership. They aren鈥檛 adding any value in this case. I guess many will become service centres.

Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
Yes, I think you have a point about the demise of the dealership. They aren鈥檛 adding any value in this case. I guess many will become service centres.
You know, everyone wants to not have to deal with dealers around vehicle orders, and I totally get that. But I don't think most truly comprehend what that means for the entire vehicle servicing model.

With profit margins pretty slim on new vehicles, dealers rely on various other parts of their business for profit:
  1. Service & repair
  2. Financing & leasing
  3. Upsells, accessories, and add-ons
  4. Extended warranties
#2-4 are all pretty tied to the vehicle purchase; not a lot of people return frequently to dealerships to buy accessories, especially now. #1 looks to be fading away with EVs - few fluid changes, etc. Tire rotation, air filters, 12V battery servicing, wipers - those all are easily done by non-branded repair shops. The value proposition for dealership servicing is approaching zero.

If dealerships can't be profitable, we'll likely see manufacturer-led vehicle servicing look more like Polestar than Tesla. There are simply too many manufacturers for there to be a part of town with blocks of service centres.

Alternatively, we could see a push to open up servicing, but I don't see the proprietary systems being accessible to non-branded mechanics without legislation, and if it's not written well we get situations like Massachusetts. Fortunately, ICE and hybrid vehicles aren't going to disappear overnight, but those that fail to adapt to the changing market conditions will either go out of business or go through mergers and acquisitions.

The next decade is going to be very tumultuous for dealerships, for car owners, and for some manufacturers, and it's going to be caused more by profit models (sales vs. service) at least as much as it will be by how quickly and well manufacturers pivot to EVs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts