Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally ordered an EV6 GT-Line S AWD in Runway Red and heat pump today. It’s been a long run of lovely Lexus cars but it’s time to go BEV. Currently looking at April for delivery. I’m hoping to get a ceramic coating done by a detailer before collection.
Next to sort out a home charger. Hive have one on at £599 fitted and slightly more if a tethered version. This would link up with out British Gas Hive account. Is £599 ok? Our electric supply, e-on, also quote £599. Is this the normal price?

·
Super Moderator
75 Posts
What charge rate is that as you want to have a 7KW one fitted if possible.

Is that price minus the government grant or before the government grant?

Are you eligible for the OZEV EVHS grant?
The OZEV grant allows you to reduce the cost of your home charger by £350.

Eligibility Checklist:
  • You have dedicated off-street parking.
  • You have not already claimed the grant for your electric car.
  • By claiming the grant, you are not exceeding the limit of two OZEV funded charging points per household

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What charge rate is that as you want to have a 7KW one fitted if possible.

Is that price minus the government grant or before the government grant?

Are you eligible for the OZEV EVHS grant?
The OZEV grant allows you to reduce the cost of your home charger by £350.

Eligibility Checklist:
  • You have dedicated off-street parking.
  • You have not already claimed the grant for your electric car.
  • By claiming the grant, you are not exceeding the limit of two OZEV funded charging points per household
Yes, both quotes have already taken the government grant off the price plus both are 7.4kW chargers. I dare say there are probably cheaper chargers out there plus I’d need to take charging prices into account too. Lots to think about.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can 100% get cheaper.
tethered smart meter with Octopus (my supplier) is £575 AFTER grant applied. I haven't seen them much...if any...cheaper.

I looked at their 'off peak' rates also. they drop quite a large percentage, BUT, your normal rate goes UP. I did a calculation based on my annual electricity usage. I would have to charge the car to 100% 45 times a year (say once a week) to break even. Not worth it for me................at current prices .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I finally ordered an EV6 GT-Line S AWD in Runway Red and heat pump today. It’s been a long run of lovely Lexus cars but it’s time to go BEV. Currently looking at April for delivery. I’m hoping to get a ceramic coating done by a detailer before collection.
Next to sort out a home charger. Hive have one on at £599 fitted and slightly more if a tethered version. This would link up with out British Gas Hive account. Is £599 ok? Our electric supply, e-on, also quote £599. Is this the normal price?
You are in the right ball park but definitely go for tethered. It’s much easier than having to take your cable in and out of the car every time - particularly in grotty weather.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A charger in the netherlands, 11khw costs around 1000 euro with installation around 1600.
While I checked the components on open standards. Openevse. The actual costs are around 250 euro.

I believe that due to fact electric cars are mostly sold with lease construction, company cars. This industry is having huge profit rates......

·
Registered
EV6 77kWh RWD Steel Grey (05/22)
90 Posts
Just ordered mine as wel. Plus in Steel Grey, ETA May 2022. Long wait ahead of me.

Home cargers: thinking of Walbox Pulsar Plus or Easee Home. Not sure if I want a tethered cable or not. Being able to remove the cable when I am away on holiday seems like a plus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if I want a tethered cable or not. Being able to remove the cable when I am away on holiday seems like a plus.
Personally, I'll be going tethered when I get one installed. It's just there and ready to plug in.

If you're worried about people plugging in while you're away, simply turn it off at the consumer panel. You'd want to do that anyway even without a tethered cable...

Watched this earlier, which makes some good points:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I assume most tethered chargers have some app/physical lock/pin code input to activate them ?
As the video explains, it's not really necessary. A thief would need to be sat in his car on your driveway attached to your charger for nearly an hour to steal £1 of energy. The risk/reward simply isn't worth it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
As the video explains, it's not really necessary. A thief would need to be sat in his car on your driveway attached to your charger for nearly an hour to steal £1 of energy. The risk/reward simply isn't worth it...
When you think about it he is of course absolutely right, and I think like many I didn't consider the practicalities of it, just an immediate thought of, "I'm basically letting anyone use my electric".
But a person would need to be particularly ballsy/determined to sit on your driveway for hrs, to get a few quid's worth of electric.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts