Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vast majority of the First Edition reservation holders chose the home L2 charger as their “Gift”.

I have seen it said that the charger is a Chargepoint Flex. Does anyone have the document that shows this?

Also, there are 2 versions of this charger each with a different plug. NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50 and either can be hardwired. So how do we specify which one we want? Some of us have already installed an outlet.
Is it really going to take 45 days to get a charger? Especially considering that KIA did not provide a L1 charger with the car. And does anyone else think that no L1 charger is a cheap bonehead move?

Again, not a lot of information from KIA. Wondering if anyone who has their FE received any updated information.
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definitely agree that it's a really irritating didn't give any form of charger. This is my first EV and I'm annoyed that I have to go looking for a charger. I just got my FE yesterday and the dealer has to fill out the final forms that we bought the car, they called it an "RDR". That gets sent to Kia America and it says that in 5 to 10 working business days we should have the charger. I'm trying to get a hold of the algorithm paper that they showed me. When I get it I'll send a picture of it

·
Registered
58 Posts
The vast majority of the First Edition reservation holders chose the home L2 charger as their “Gift”.

I have seen it said that the charger is a Chargepoint Flex. Does anyone have the document that shows this?

Also, there are 2 versions of this charger each with a different plug. NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50 and either can be hardwired. So how do we specify which one we want? Some of us have already installed an outlet.
Is it really going to take 45 days to get a charger? Especially considering that KIA did not provide a L1 charger with the car. And does anyone else think that no L1 charger is a cheap bonehead move?

Again, not a lot of information from KIA. Wondering if anyone who has their FE received any updated information.
Thanks
Yup, definitely a "bonehead" move as you put it! As someone else said on this forum, it's even worse than someone selling you a laptop computer without a charger. I think it's going to be like when the first Mustang Mach E's came out, they only came with one key fob. Then due to all the complaints, especially when Phone As A Key didn't work for many owners, Ford started selling the cars with two key fobs. I think Kia will start shipping EV6's with an L1 charger.

Now to answer your specific questions. I've gone through this with my dealer - if you've already installed an outlet, you order the charger with the plug that'll fit the outlet. A quick search online for either NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 will show you the difference between the two - easiest way to tell is the 6-50 has three prongs and the 14-50 has four prongs on the plug. If you haven't installed an outlet, there are minor (to me) pro and cons and again, a search online will tell you which one is better for you. When I had our home built several years ago, I had the electrician rough-in a 50amp EV charging outlet in the garage. When I took the cover plate off, I saw four wires (hot, hot, ground, neutral) so that told me that I should go for the four-wire 14-50 outlet. So I ordered my "free gift" charger with the 14-50 plug.

I've also just ordered a L1 charger that plugs into a regular household outlet just in case my FE shows up without my "free gift".

·
Registered
2020 KIA Telluride and 2022 KIA EV6 GT-Line First Edition
64 Posts
Yup, definitely a "bonehead" move as you put it! As someone else said on this forum, it's even worse than someone selling you a laptop computer without a charger. I think it's going to be like when the first Mustang Mach E's came out, they only came with one key fob. Then due to all the complaints, especially when Phone As A Key didn't work for many owners, Ford started selling the cars with two key fobs. I think Kia will start shipping EV6's with an L1 charger.

Now to answer your specific questions. I've gone through this with my dealer - if you've already installed an outlet, you order the charger with the plug that'll fit the outlet. A quick search online for either NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 will show you the difference between the two - easiest way to tell is the 6-50 has three prongs and the 14-50 has four prongs on the plug. If you haven't installed an outlet, there are minor (to me) pro and cons and again, a search online will tell you which one is better for you. When I had our home built several years ago, I had the electrician rough-in a 50amp EV charging outlet in the garage. When I took the cover plate off, I saw four wires (hot, hot, ground, neutral) so that told me that I should go for the four-wire 14-50 outlet. So I ordered my "free gift" charger with the 14-50 plug.

I've also just ordered a L1 charger that plugs into a regular household outlet just in case my FE shows up without my "free gift".
Can you please share which L1 charger you ordered? I am picking up my EV6 today and just found out the L2 charger is backordered so have no way to charge it at home.

·
Registered
EV6 First Edition Steel Gray
22 Posts
I got an email from Kia today asking for my shipping address and plug preference for the charger. The email specified ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you please share which L1 charger you ordered? I am picking up my EV6 today and just found out the L2 charger is backordered so have no way to charge it at home.
Yes, it's this one: TurboCord Dual 120/240V Plug-In EV Charger. It costs more than the other L1 chargers on Amazon but I think it's truly UL listed which is very important to me. I spoke to the distributor (maybe manufacturer?) and they are in stock so don't be put off by the possible shipping delay notification. This one from Amazon was under consideration as well Amazon.com. It looks like it's also UL listed but not as certain as the TurboCord Dual. Even though this may be unnecessary base on what others have said but I want to be sure I'll have a charger on hand when I bring home the car plus I can always use the L1 charger in emergencies. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Telluride and 2022 KIA EV6 GT-Line First Edition
64 Posts
From some guy on facebook.

View attachment 2384
I picked up my EV6 yesterday and all this information was in a letter that KIA sent to dealerships. The dealer gave me a copy of the letter with my other information. I picked it up at 5PM last night and no email about the charger yet. I was a little annoyed that I drove off in an electric car without any charging cable at all... Not even a 120V portable like most EV have been delivered with. The wording in the letter didn't say, can't charge over MSRP. It just said please don't, but outlined no consequences if they do. I agree with you that some may just charge over MSRP and it just refers to First Edition, nothing about not charging over MSRP for standard EV6 inventory.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I received my email from Kia six days after bringing my FE home. Don't quote me on this but I believe what prompts the charger confirmation is the dealer submitting information to Kia. I would contact your dealer. If you did choose the charger as your free gift, the gift fulfillment center (it's been contracted out to a third-party) should have some record and here's a phone number for them, 714-715-9055. Good luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My dealer apparently forgot to submit the request for my free charger gift; however, once I reminded them about that they submitted request, then the email from Kia showed up not too long afterwards asking me for my shipping address and which plug type I wanted for my charger; got a reply back from Kia the following day acknowledging that they received my info and that they will send me the tracking info once the charger has been shipped (no ETA as to when it'll ship though).

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealer apparently forgot to submit the request for my free charger gift; however, once I reminded them about that they submitted request, then the email from Kia showed up not too long afterwards asking me for my shipping address and which plug type I wanted for my charger; got a reply back from Kia the following day acknowledging that they received my info and that they will send me the tracking info once the charger has been shipped (no ETA as to when it'll ship though).
My car is not expected until the end of April (US delivery). I’ve already ordered a charger at my own expense but now see this thread about a free charger. Is that applicable to all US buyers and if so, what options do you have if you’ve already purchased your own charger (almost a thousand dollars plus electrician)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right and we paid a premium for the gift so not sure we really came out ahead.
Hi South Dakota
native of the state myself. Bought my Urban Yellow EV6 8 days ago, brought it home six days ago. I was impatient so i emailed about the charger, they sent me the form to fill out the next day and I returned it immediately. I emailed again the next day if they had expected delivery date, received response the next morning that they had no idea of estimate. That afternoon I received email and Fedex tracking number for my charger. It is already on its way from Memphis to Minneapolis tonight. ExpectEd delivery Tuesday and have electrician scheduled Thursday. All is good,
point of the story, keep pushing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will agree that selling an EV without a charger is a bit of a bonehead move. I'm waiting on my EV6, and due to my circumstances I still have the old L2 capable J1772 charger from my 2017 Volt. (totaled by a red light running guy that Tboned me)

So personally I can still charge at a (slow) L2 speed of 3kw speeds with what I have on hand, means I can go from 0-100% in 24 hours, which will probably never ever be the case. More like 30% to 80% is what I'll mostly be doing. Will probably upgrade to a JuiceBox or something off amazon later down the road once I upgrade the wiring for that circuit.

For phones -- I can understand the trend of not including a charger. Apple started it, Samsung kept it going, and here we are. Just about everyone these days has at least 2 or 3 USB chargers floating around the house collecting dust. So I understand their argument on e-waste in that department.

For cars? -- yeah I don't know anyone who just had an extra J1772 charger or two laying around collecting dust. So their logic isn't as solid on skimping something that basic as the ability to slow charge at home (even if it was just 120V)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts