Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Range 225 miles.
2. Cannot turn the climate control fan off without going to the home screen climate control.
3. Home link garage door opener only works when the car is on.
4. One pedal driving has to be set again every time the car is turned on.
5. Rear hatch misaligned with body.
6. Don't get me started on the matte paint care requirements.

Anybody else having these problems?

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. Dependent on many factors. I've seen praise for the EV6's efficiency, so I doubt it's an issue.
2. Don't have my car yet so I can't comment on that.
3. Every other vehicle I've owned has allowed Homelink use when the car is off, but not really an issue for me. Might be a security thing - imagine you're parked outside, someone breaks into your car, and is then able to open your garage.
4. That is annoying and should be at least an option as a saved setting. Voice your complaint to Kia and hope they implement it in a software update.
5. Kia has good build quality these days, so either a side effect of being a new model, or bad luck. Maybe your dealer can fix it, but this can happen on every car. Unless a lot of people start complaining about build quality, I think you just got unlucky.
6. You should have known how tedious matte paint is to care for and accepted that prior to purchasing a vehicle with matte paint. This is not a problem exclusive to the EV6 - it's matte paint in general.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
1. I am seeing similar, I am averagnig 2.8-3 mi/kWh when I drive conservatively. I can only get 3.5 mi/kWh going down hill, I‘ll keep an open mind until we see some warmer temperatures, been cold in OR.
3. I agree this is annoying, noticed it. When I pull in my garage, turn off my car then go to shut the garage door but can’t. I’ll have to get used to a new routine.
4. Same here, ideally it wouldn’t have to be re-set every time.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
708 Posts
I actually appreciate #3. It means somebody can't break into your garage by breaking into your car if you happen to park near your home but not in the garage.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I’m guessing there are a lot of new EV owners here (and that I mean haven’t owned PHEVs either).

Note that due to the efficiencies of electric motors, your swing in electricity consumption is going to be much larger than your old ICE car. (And even then, the swing in mpg between seasons will be larger in a 4-cylinder hybrid compared to a naturally aspirated V8 for example).

What I’m saying is that the more efficient the electric car, the greater the swing between summer and winter. In addition, every little thing will affect consumption - 5-10°F swing in temperature, the climate control setting, how gently or aggressively you accelerate and/or brake, tire pressure, whether the road is dry or wet with standing water, whether you’re pushing 4” of snow. All of these factors affected your old car too.

For example, my current PHEV gets 10-11kWh/100km in the summer (my best is 9kWh/100km), but in the mild winter (say 0-5°C or 32-41°F), it worsens to 14kWh/100km. Add rain or snow and it goes up to 17kWh/100km. Drop below freezing or add freshly fallen snow and I’m up to 20 or even 25kWh/100km. So you can see that my range can easily halve in the worse winter conditions.

Wait til summer arrives and your city range will easily exceed 300 miles (I suspect highway will be around 250 for 20” rims)

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE Urban Yellow
87 Posts
1. Lots of discussion on the forum about range expectations vs reality. In short, the car's estimate of range is just that, based upon many factors.
3. Doesn't seem like a problem to me. In most use cases the car will be on when entering or leaving the garage. If this doesn't work for you, keep the garage door remote in the car.
4. This is documented in the manual. KIA EV6 Online Manual in Eng
5. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer for covered repair.
6. Not a problem. What 378SCDC said above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Range 225 miles.
2. Cannot turn the climate control fan off without going to the home screen climate control.

How long have you had your EV6, which trim do you have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Range 225 miles.

Rear hatch of my FE looks delightful.
To point, from #petraman, please post picture.

·
Premium Member
Yacht Blue GT-Line AWD
200 Posts
Kia has good build quality these days, so either a side effect of being a new model, or bad luck.
It should be noted that when the Stinger first came out, there were a ton of issues with the rear hatch. Luckily, it was easily fixed by adjusting the bump stops at the bottom of the hatch. Maybe they're having the same issues with the EV6

·
Registered
2 Posts
As for the Homelink not working when the car is off. I've owned several with Homelink and for the most part, foreign engineered/built vehicles disable the Homelink if the key is off, while most of the domestic engineered/built vehicles, it was an always on item. So it probably is a feature consistent with the rest of the world. I think it is a nice security feature.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well from the video on youtube, the range of 225 miles was in Texas, on the highway at 70-75 mph and climate control set to 70 when the ambient was like 82. No regenerative braking. The estimated range of 274 is city and highway and takes into account lower speeds which take less energy to achieve and regenerative braking contribution. As for Homelink, I have no use for it because I have two garage door openers and 1 gated entry opener. The Homelink requires me press buttons on the Homelink and the Learn buttons on the door openers and gate controller in order to synchronize. Using the remotes doesn't work. But what does work are the small devices you can add that use wifi and your phone and also work with Alexa and Google Assistant. So right from my phone I just tell Alexa to open the gate. Same for the doors, open or close the door. Who needs Homelink? As for the rear hatch, I did see a car where the chrome plastic trim on one side popped off, its just fastened on with the plastic push pins.

The real answer is if you are having second thoughts on EV, then wait a while. They will only get better, not worse. But in So Cal, driving an EV can be 1/3rd the cost of driving an efficient gas vehicle and that's something. Think about this: A Ford Edge is a mature, good performing vehicle that is reliable and costs a lot less than an EV6. It has more room. Same goes for an Audi and a BMW X3. You could also think of RAV4 and Honda. So depends on what other vehicles you have access too. Also, also maybe rent if going on a trip in fear of range anxiety or trade off with a friend or family member's car while on a trip. Just have to think it all through.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line First Edition #360
72 Posts
1. Range 225 miles.

1. I have the extended, so cant comment.
2. Really? I just hit the round power button that you contron temp. that shuts it all down
3. Well, yes.. the way it should be. Imaging leaving your car unlocked or windows open, guess what, people can now open your garage and enter your house.
4. Only took one drive so far.. will see.
5. Mine looked straight.. now I am paranoid. Gonna go loook.
6. No real hard maintenance. Just dont use wax. You can use a pressure washer, but not direct or hard pressure. Really scared, go get PPF, I am going to.

Matte FE 360/1500

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. Dependent on many factors. I've seen praise for the EV6's efficiency, so I doubt it's an issue.
2. Don't have my car yet so I can't comment on that.
3. Every other vehicle I've owned has allowed Homelink use when the car is off, but not really an issue for me. Might be a security thing - imagine you're parked outside, someone breaks into your car, and is then able to open your garage.
4. That is annoying and should be at least an option as a saved setting. Voice your complaint to Kia and hope they implement it in a software update.
5. Kia has good build quality these days, so either a side effect of being a new model, or bad luck. Maybe your dealer can fix it, but this can happen on every car. Unless a lot of people start complaining about build quality, I think you just got unlucky.
6. You should have known how tedious matte paint is to care for and accepted that prior to purchasing a vehicle with matte paint. This is not a problem exclusive to the EV6 - it's matte paint in general.
From some review or other that I read from the wine country testing, the car is set to default to 3 on each restart. And maybe the manual, but don’t get ME started on them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts