Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I know the topic of PPF/Paint Protection for the SMG has been a topic beaten to death. I’m not asking for input on those options as it seems like they only true way to ensure a safe exterior for Colorado roads is full PPF. As it’s been shared we can assume the cost for a quality job is in the kiwi end of 2500$ to 6000$. Depending on umpteen factors.

Having been rushed into the choice of a SMG FE, or wait, which for me would have meant passing up the EV6 given wait times and my original problem of finding any e-AWD variation for sale, at MSRP. Or even one I could secure inbound. I got a call saying that this was my chance And as the FE and matte finish were alluring to me…. I went for it. I actually prefer the exterior styling. That’s another topic in itself.

With that. I am curious if anyone, with any color, has opted to wrap the car as a means to protecting the paint better than ceramic coating. Albeit, wrap film can be anywhere half the thickness of PPF or there about a but at least gives you similar if not some advantages like 3M 2080 seal healing and Avery or Orafols options. I have seen the roof done in gloss to match and I’m leaning that way as another forum member has done… however, looking at the selection of colors for the choosing. I am wondering if doing a colorchange wrap would add some uniqueness and individuality to the EV6 without losing the factory prowess and killer factory aesthetics and I dont want it to look like I needed to rchange the color….as it isn’t appear KIA didn’t offer an insanely premium finish on a relatively affordable knock out vehicle.

So I am curious if anyone has actually gone through with a wrap on the matte finish first. If so, what brand of film did they use, what color, and his the intricacies and edges were handled. Ergo did you wrap and roll. Wrap and roll the wrap interior panels and use edge tape or hidden seams for better application and impermeability?

Bonus for anyone who’s had or used one of the myraid of films for the interior door panels, translucent wrap on Center Console so the buttons remain visible or the biggest interior faux paw KIA made; too much black plastic.

Since I haven’t seen it in person it’s hard to tell whether I’d like the center console trim that is not gloss black but I can say id prefer thne non haptic buttons up top for heat/wheel/ventilation. Despite that making any kind of wrap impossible looking.

I’ve seen some of the mock up rendering post but not many on a finished product.

in my head there’s two routes to go; sporty(er) or ore refined and luxury. I feel given I’m stuck with the grey headliner and all blacks/non accented interior. It just seems like other than the swanky FE dash and console lid. It’s sleek but a tad bland. And extremely prone to scratches.

I’ll add some photos of what I am thinking here shortly…thanks !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I really suggest you go see the car.(attempts to corrupt you) I thought the FE was freaking stupid.... until i met mine. I also like the lighter headliner. As a mechanic/ hobbyist/bicyclist. I dont want anything plain white in a car ever. THe SMG is enough for me to be particular about.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I really suggest you go see the car.(attempts to corrupt you) I thought the FE was freaking stupid.... until i met mine. I also like the lighter headliner. As a mechanic/ hobbyist/bicyclist. I dont want anything plain white in a car ever. THe SMG is enough for me to be particular about.
Sorry if I didn’t state my real intentions. I love the SMG. I love the look. Love the car. However, if I have to spend the money on a matte PPF wrap to keep it looking good. For my current situation, something easier to maintain would be ideal. And knowing that the beautiful SMG is under there and being protected by a 3M/Avery D /Orafol color change wrap. Which I know is more like 4mils not 8 of protection. But perhaps would be nice for now and PPF later ?

For those whom have gotten PPF. Have they rolled the edges, wrapped around them, what about scuff plates and door handles and interior jambs ? It seems those forgotten about areas are where the most damage will happen as out of sight out of mind?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Boulder. Went with a full PPF. Not quick but was less than half of other quotes. Very happy with it.
In Boulder eh? Mind sharing where either via PM and the cost mom desperate to get it done. After those winds I’m freaking out about how to decon the exterior.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I contacted them. I like that they have done before. And their gallery seems large and filled with nice vehicles. How did they do the PPF edges ? I’ve never heard of the brand of film they use (usually I hear XPEL first, 3M, etc). Sounds like you’re happy ?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I more was wanting the all black headliner. But at least the material used isn’t your traditional fabric. But I’d still 100% the car all black inside with black headliner but grey is okay :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I contacted them. I like that they have done before. And their gallery seems large and filled with nice vehicles. How did they do the PPF edges ? I’ve never heard of the brand of film they use (usually I hear XPEL first, 3M, etc). Sounds like you’re happy ?
Not quickest but Leo knows the details. He will make sure you’re satisfied. A great local business owner.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I could order my color, I would have avoided the matte steel grey. That said, I didn't order my color and was offered to buy a Matte Steel Gray FE. I was renting a car waiting for my Tesla and decided to get the EV6. I live in Dallas and the trucks on the Roads/Highways are everywhere, so much construction, they cannot be avoided. The design of the EV6 Hood is just waiting for chips to happen and you have limited options on the Matte paint. I went with PPF because it is thicker than wrap. I did a full front including Bumper, Headlights, Hood, Tiny front fenders, Mirrors and A pillars. Then Ceramic pro over the entire car. Way more than I wanted to send on top of the car, but wanted some peace of mind while driving. I also pay for $0 deducible windshield insurance. Worse case scenario is 600-800 to fix and repaint the hood if needed. You could always take your chances and do it when you are ready to sell if you have damage by then.

While deciding, I watched a you tube video called "Is PPF Snake oil?" That helped me decide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts