Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
later this afternoon we're embarking on our first road trip since we picked up our EV6! We're heading down to Roseburg , OR from the Seattle area, over to Estacada then home (756 miles total). This will also be our first time charging the car away from our home since we primarily use it locally.

Things we have :
  • ABRP app with charging locations mapped
  • Electrify America app with account setup + 1,000 KWH promo credit
  • 30 amp adapter ( we have an electrical hookup at our campground)
  • Full charged battery
Based on what we've read here (thank you!) we're planning on driving the speed limit (70mph) and are hoping we can make it south of Portland for the first leg.

Are we forgetting anything that might help us along our journey?

I'll send an update when we return next week!

·
Registered
81 Posts
later this afternoon we're embarking on our first road trip since we picked up our EV6! We're heading down to Roseburg , OR from the Seattle area, over to Estacada then home (756 miles total). This will also be our first time charging the car away from our home since we primarily use it locally.

Things we have :
  • ABRP app with charging locations mapped
  • Electrify America app with account setup + 1,000 KWH promo credit
  • 30 amp adapter ( we have an electrical hookup at our campground)
  • Full charged battery
Based on what we've read here (thank you!) we're planning on driving the speed limit (70mph) and are hoping we can make it south of Portland for the first leg.

Are we forgetting anything that might help us along our journey?

I'll send an update when we return next week!
You'll be fine, I did a similar trip from the S. Sound to Coos Bay, Oregon. The Electrify America stops I made in Salem and Springfield each had issues. The Springfield site had one charger that just didn't work, in Salem i couldn't get the IOS app to work and it required a call to EA to reboot the charger and then it worked. In my case the challenge was a total lack of L3 chargers anywhere near Coos Bay on the coast. Was dependent on slow L2 at restaurants and grocery stores. Other than that not a problem at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ended up sitting for 1 hour at a Burger King wanting to get enough L2 charging to make it 15 miles home. When I plan a trip, I find the EA software is inaccurate enough that I could get stranded. Drove from Buffalo to FredoniaNY in my wife's gaser and thought to check the EA charger at Walmart......roped off and unavailable..I have ChargeHub on my phone and that showed the level of the charger and availability.

I did check the Angelica Thruway Restarea and that charger was good. NY has them at every other rest area...ChargeHub has more infromation about the charges than other apps that I have seen.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh, is that how it starts or are you kidding???
the one you posted the clip of I believe hit a wall at moderate speed and somewhat immediately burst into flames. So if you’re talking about mechanically damaging the battery, yeah that’s pretty much how it starts.

the moment the battery is on fire, there’s no putting it out. Only cooling it down.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What about this plugshare app, is it any good?
Define good? It's basically absolutely necessary for situational awareness about chargers around you and how fast they can charge.

It's far from perfect though. It'll give you a sense for whether a given station is likely to work or not, but it won't save you from 6 cars fighting for the two remaining functional stalls at an electrify america station with 10 total and 8 broken.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
191 Posts
What about this plugshare app, is it any good?
As others have said it is good for finding chargers and perhaps seeing if they are working but it is not always up to date on availability. If you are using EA stations then use the EA app to check each stations status along your route before you leave.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD Tech pkg
31 Posts
the one you posted the clip of I believe hit a wall at moderate speed and somewhat immediately burst into flames. So if you’re talking about mechanically damaging the battery, yeah that’s pretty much how it starts.

the moment the battery is on fire, there’s no putting it out. Only cooling it down.
Well it's no wonder then why you would prefer to be without a fire extinguisher. Better to go down with the ship.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts