Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I stopped to recharge at the Francis Energy station on Indian Nation Turnpike near McAlester OK on Wednesday. The 4 chargers all 'initialized' with my car, but as soon as the car announced "Charging Started", it would stop. The screen said there was an error, I needed to disconnect and reconnect. I did that several times, and then moved to a different charger. One of the 4 chargers was out of service, but the other three all behaved the same. I then went into the EV6 charging setup and reduced the charge rate from Maximum to Reduced. That got it working, and I charged at 105 kW for 18 minutes. The chargers are listed as 200kW in the Francis Energy app. Maybe the Kia tries to draw too much and the Francis chargers can't take that?

While I was charging a Tesla arrived (Model Y, Dual Motor). He had his J1772 adapter and his car started at 100 kW, but quickly dropped down to 33kW. I don't know if it ramped back up.

·
Registered
GT-line RWD RR
27 Posts
I stopped to recharge at the Francis Energy station on Indian Nation Turnpike near McAlester OK on Wednesday. The 4 chargers all 'initialized' with my car, but as soon as the car announced "Charging Started", it would stop. The screen said there was an error, I needed to disconnect and reconnect. I did that several times, and then moved to a different charger. One of the 4 chargers was out of service, but the other three all behaved the same. I then went into the EV6 charging setup and reduced the charge rate from Maximum to Reduced. That got it working, and I charged at 105 kW for 18 minutes. The chargers are listed as 200kW in the Francis Energy app. Maybe the Kia tries to draw too much and the Francis chargers can't take that?

While I was charging a Tesla arrived (Model Y, Dual Motor). He had his J1772 adapter and his car started at 100 kW, but quickly dropped down to 33kW. I don't know if it ramped back up.
Great information. I use that charger when I go to Mo. My Mach-e always charged slow on Francis. Did you note what you did for the EV6 in the plugshare app?

·
Registered
2023 Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
70 Posts
I stopped to recharge at the Francis Energy station on Indian Nation Turnpike near McAlester OK on Wednesday.

I then went into the EV6 charging setup and reduced the charge rate from Maximum to Reduced. That got it working, and I charged at 105 kW for 18 minutes. The chargers are listed as 200kW in the Francis Energy app. Maybe the Kia tries to draw too much and the Francis chargers can't take that?
That's very odd. I didn't think you were able to reduce the charge rate for DC charging. I thought the charging current settings only applied to AC charging. The car should communicate with the charger and request the correct amount of amps (usually the lesser of whatever the car requests and the charger can provide).
If there was a bad module in the power cabinet, then maybe that's why charging didn't work until you reduced the power. Or maybe it was due to the module's power output parameters.

Looking at the attached datasheet from BTC Power (third column), it appears the 200 kW power cabinets can only output 216 A above 500 VDC. At or below 500 VDC they can output 500 A. The car was likely requesting its maximum of ~300 A (source, Bjorn Nyland video) and the charger couldn't supply that at the EV6's pack voltage of 700-750 VDC. So long story short, there's a communication error.

Could you try charging on one of Francis' 50 kW units (BTC Power L3S)? However, I don't think you'll be able to as there is likely a different communication error happening with L3S chargers. L3S can only output a max of 500 VDC. So I think the L3S is confused when the car initially tells it that the battery pack voltage is 700 V.

P.S. I really wish more people would check in on PlugShare at DCFCs and state the maximum power they received in kW. It really helps out a lot compared to a check in without a comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2023 Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
70 Posts
An EV6 charged at Henryetta, OK on July 23rd and reported "Kia EV6 2022 174 Kilowatts". That is a Francis 200kW
I guess that charger has two 200 kW power cabinets connected in parallel. The last column of the datasheet shows the output current for 500-920 VDC doubles to 432 A.
Unless it was a single power cabinet that had a higher than nominal max output, since 174 kW divided by 750 V is 232 A (just above its stated 216 A).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Next time I get back to a Francis Energy station I will try some of these (50kW charger, reduced and maximum charge on the 200kW charger). At the moment I'm not close to them, so it will be a couple of weeks. Until then I'm using my charger that I brought to my daughter's home.

I will also try the max/reduced/min rates at other stations (EA). to see if it makes a difference.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts