Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got what is probably a stupid question...

When the GT comes out, that is awd, I'm wondering about the range.

I don't really know much about electric motors. If the car is driven at the same speed as the lower powered awd version, will the power consumption be different?

Is the quoted lower range a result of the faster anticipated driving? Or is there a more fundamental difference in the motors?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, the RWD puts out 226 bhp and the AWD 321 bhp, therefore as it is only bringing 95 bhp to the party you can assume it is a smaller motor.
However, at 577 bhp the GT will need to have uprated (and probably bigger) motors front and rear, therefore it is highly possible that these bigger, more powerful, motors will absorb more energy at any given road speed.
As far as I know, range quotes are based on their efficiency over a standard set of tests, and do not assume that the car will be driven in any particular manner.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Appreciate the reply, not really the question I was asking though...
Sorry, I misread. WLTP, EPA, etc have standard programs for rating. They should provide apples to apples comparisons, rather than being based on assumptions of vehicles being driven differently. While all the details aren't known yet, there are some clues as to why the estimated range is lower... Higher motor power: efficiency does degrade somewhat at part load. That's why the front motor is disengaged when it's not needed. A single motor operating at a higher percentage of its full capacity will be more efficient than two splitting the load. Same applies to bigger motors. They will be operating at an even lower percentage of their total rating. We also know the GT will have a limited slip rear differential, which can add additional friction. It has bigger wheels, w/o the aerodynamic covers, and could likely have higher performance tires with higher rolling resistance. Some of these differences might also result in more weight.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
44 Posts
Got what is probably a stupid question...

When the GT comes out, that is awd, I'm wondering about the range.

I don't really know much about electric motors. If the car is driven at the same speed as the lower powered awd version, will the power consumption be different?

Is the quoted lower range a result of the faster anticipated driving? Or is there a more fundamental difference in the motors?
All provisional figures at the moment, but EV Database has this information and some estimates:-

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
the GT is currently positioned to be around 400km WLTP.
Looking at practical usage I would prefer the AWD above the GT

Myself I find the RWD GT-line quick enough. And it had the longest range, which is more important to me then a few seconds quicker acceleration

·
Registered
108 Posts
When standardized range tests are conducted they are independent of how different cars are "likely" to be driven or the types of owners "likely" to buy them. I.e. the tests are standardized.

The GT will have less range than the GT-Line because of the reasons listed above
  • larger motors - more friction
  • larger wheels with presumably less-aerodynamic design
  • wider tires (presumably grippier compound / tread design, but that's speculation)
  • slightly more vehicle mass

It's also very common for body design in high-power variants to vary slightly to generate more downforce. Downforce 👉 higher coefficient of drag 👉 less range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts