Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have mine yet, BUTTTTT .....am trying to learn as much as possible before I get it. Question.... I make a frequent 200 mile trip with 75% of the trip on interstate and speeds 65 to 75mph. The remaining 25% at speeds ranging from 35 to 55mph. If you own of these (range specifed at 274) would you be comfortable with the trip I desribed?? Thanks for your thoughts......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
We drove from San Jose to Sacramento (about 240 miles round trip) on a full charge, but ended up charging it on the way back in Fremont which was about 20 miles away from SJ. The computer estimated we had 50 miles left, but since this was our first EV we wanted to be safe. 90% freeway at speeds 65-80 and mostly on cruise control at 72 with auto-climate set at 70. I believe you would be fine if you charge to 100%, live in a warm climate and aren't traveling thru hilly roads/freeways. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
Joined
·
164 Posts
I would agree that this is doable. My GT Line AWD gets about 250 - 270 miles on a full charge. However, I recommend locating charging stations on the route just in case. Weather and road conditions will affect your mileage so it's good to have a backup plan.
 

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
You’ll be much better off if you can keep it at 70 or below. I’d be comfortable making that trip.

What’s the temps like for this drive and is it fairly flat?

I routinely get 300 miles average on a 100% charge.
Automotive design Font Personal luxury car Vehicle Motor vehicle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I recently did a 230 mile round-trip which went through undulating terrain using the Interstate for about 1/3 of the distance. Did most of the trip using the SCC and staying at the speed limit. The A/C was kept in Auto at 72F (22C). I charged to 100% using the local 150kW DC charging station before leaving. There were no charging stations at my destination. I arrived back home at the same charging station with 14% SOC or 30 miles remaining distance, so that would give me a 260 mile range.
Since then, I learnt to use the iPedal and my economy has improved to 4.2m/kWh, so I would think I could do better now on that same trip.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
152 Posts
Don't have mine yet, BUTTTTT .....am trying to learn as much as possible before I get it. Question.... I make a frequent 200 mile trip with 75% of the trip on interstate and speeds 65 to 75mph. The remaining 25% at speeds ranging from 35 to 55mph. If you own of these (range specifed at 274) would you be comfortable with the trip I desribed?? Thanks for your thoughts......
I’d be comfortable making that trip. ’ve purchased my EV 6 GT-Line AWD from a dealer in Iowa and drove it home to Washington DC. My average kWh per mile for the trip was 3.3 (257 miles). My efficiency on the high end was 3.6 kWh per mile and 2.9kWh per mile on the low end.

The 2.5 kWh/mile on 4/1/22 is an outlier due to driving in sport mode with regeneration set to zero. The temperature was 32 degrees when I started the second leg of my journey on 4/02, which caused my efficiency to drop to 2.9kWh.

I generally drove the speed limit, which means for the better part of Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio, my speed ranged between 75 and 80mph.


Font Gadget Display device Audio equipment Electric blue

Font Display device Audio equipment Rectangle Asphalt
 

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
Joined
·
259 Posts
Don't have mine yet, BUTTTTT .....am trying to learn as much as possible before I get it. Question.... I make a frequent 200 mile trip with 75% of the trip on interstate and speeds 65 to 75mph. The remaining 25% at speeds ranging from 35 to 55mph. If you own of these (range specifed at 274) would you be comfortable with the trip I desribed?? Thanks for your thoughts......
Once you get the first trip done, you'll feel much more comfortable as you learn what to expect. I just completed my first long road trip in my AWD GTL and found that mentally using 200 miles as the car's range works great for curing range anxiety. If you assume the car's range is 200 miles, then each one percent of battery is 2 miles. You can look on the trip info screen and see if you're above 2 miles for each battery SOC percentage. If your mileage on the trip so far is higher than double 100 minus the current battery SOC, then you are on a pace to exceed 200 miles. Since your trip length is 200 miles, this should work perfectly for you.

My trip was through New York's 1000-2000 foot mountains, entirely at speeds of 65-75 (mostly 75). I was always exceeding 2 miles per 1% SOC, so I was always exceeding 200 mile range.

Every trip has the potential for being different, due to temperature, road conditions, and wind. In most permutations, you'll probably make 200 miles, but there may be circumstances where you won't, such as very cold temperatures, with a headwind in both directions. It's good to have a backup plan in case you're running low on charge, which can be as simple as slowing down or taking a break someplace with a level 2 charger. Most of the time you should be fine. Needless to say, you want to start the trip at 100%.

Use SCC. If possible, follow a large truck or other vehicle while using SCC that is going about the same speed as you are. It will punch a nice hole in the air for you. SCC does a good job of driving smoothly and keeps a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
my order for GTline AWD is in -- and I'm in the same boat researching, I'm confident I'll be good. My daily commute is 75 miles round trip 4X a week, but every few months I road trip to Houston (220 miles one way) charging would be available as I'd bring a portable level 2 to easily fill to 100% over

80% of the drive would be 70mph+ the last 20% 55ish on country backroads. There are two electrify america stations on the way spaced out a good amount so theoretically I have a safety net. Plus they are the only way to easily use up the free 1000kwh given as a freebie with the car.

Of course all it takes is a strong headwind or some rain to throw a monkey wrench into ones numbers but overall I'm sure I'll be golden.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
152 Posts
Once you get the first trip done, you'll feel much more comfortable as you learn what to expect. I just completed my first long road trip in my AWD GTL and found that mentally using 200 miles as the car's range works great for curing range anxiety. If you assume the car's range is 200 miles, then each one percent of battery is 2 miles. You can look on the trip info screen and see if you're above 2 miles for each battery SOC percentage. If your mileage on the trip so far is higher than double 100 minus the current battery SOC, then you are on a pace to exceed 200 miles. Since your trip length is 200 miles, this should work perfectly for you.

My trip was through New York's 1000-2000 foot mountains, entirely at speeds of 65-75 (mostly 75). I was always exceeding 2 miles per 1% SOC, so I was always exceeding 200 mile range.

Every trip has the potential for being different, due to temperature, road conditions, and wind. In most permutations, you'll probably make 200 miles, but there may be circumstances where you won't, such as very cold temperatures, with a headwind in both directions. It's good to have a backup plan in case you're running low on charge, which can be as simple as slowing down or taking a break someplace with a level 2 charger. Most of the time you should be fine. Needless to say, you want to start the trip at 100%.

Use SCC. If possible, follow a large truck or other vehicle while using SCC that is going about the same speed as you are. It will punch a nice hole in the air for you. SCC does a good job of driving smoothly and keeps a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
What is “SCC”?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once you get the first trip done, you'll feel much more comfortable as you learn what to expect. I just completed my first long road trip in my AWD GTL and found that mentally using 200 miles as the car's range works great for curing range anxiety. If you assume the car's range is 200 miles, then each one percent of battery is 2 miles. You can look on the trip info screen and see if you're above 2 miles for each battery SOC percentage. If your mileage on the trip so far is higher than double 100 minus the current battery SOC, then you are on a pace to exceed 200 miles. Since your trip length is 200 miles, this should work perfectly for you.

My trip was through New York's 1000-2000 foot mountains, entirely at speeds of 65-75 (mostly 75). I was always exceeding 2 miles per 1% SOC, so I was always exceeding 200 mile range.

Every trip has the potential for being different, due to temperature, road conditions, and wind. In most permutations, you'll probably make 200 miles, but there may be circumstances where you won't, such as very cold temperatures, with a headwind in both directions. It's good to have a backup plan in case you're running low on charge, which can be as simple as slowing down or taking a break someplace with a level 2 charger. Most of the time you should be fine. Needless to say, you want to start the trip at 100%.

Use SCC. If possible, follow a large truck or other vehicle while using SCC that is going about the same speed as you are. It will punch a nice hole in the air for you. SCC does a good job of driving smoothly and keeps a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
Thank you so much for your advice.....it is exactly what I was looking for!! Having had a plug-in hybrid Rav4 Prime for about a year now I have learned the "goodies" relevant to gaining the best out of a fully charged battery , but that said, I was looking forward to hearing the "reality" from someone with the EV6 GT Line AWD since that "reality" is far more important in a fully electric vehicle......I will be having a "backup plan" as suggested and am a big fan of SCC! I look forward to giving it all a try .....my EV6 probably will not arrive until fall and forums like this make for a good "learning process" in the mean time!! Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
Joined
·
259 Posts
do not draft other vehicles on the highway unless you have paint protection film. Our paint is pretty soft due to the water-based eco friendly composition.
To be clear, I was only suggesting using SCC, which always maintains a (by human standards) large distance to the car in front of you, even on its most aggressive setting. When I was young and stupid (as opposed to now when I am old and stupid — just ask my wife) I would drive way too close to trucks and get NASCAR-like draft effects. The sad part is that was hardly the stupidest thing I did at that age, but the point, I guess, is that the car is smarter than I am and won’t really follow very closely.
The disturbance in the air isn’t just immediately behind a vehicle. For quite a distance, the air is disturbed and you should see some benefit from following a large vehicle as opposed to a small vehicle. This is of course, true of any vehicle, but we EV drivers tend to worry about running out of go-juice more.
Also, don’t drive behind gravel trucks.
Or garbage trucks.
Or trucks with parts that look like they’re going to fall off. Don’t ask me how I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
To be clear, I was only suggesting using SCC, which always maintains a (by human standards) large distance to the car in front of you, even on its most aggressive setting. When I was young and stupid (as opposed to now when I am old and stupid — just ask my wife) I would drive way too close to trucks and get NASCAR-like draft effects. The sad part is that was hardly the stupidest thing I did at that age, but the point, I guess, is that the car is smarter than I am and won’t really follow very closely.
The disturbance in the air isn’t just immediately behind a vehicle. For quite a distance, the air is disturbed and you should see some benefit from following a large vehicle as opposed to a small vehicle. This is of course, true of any vehicle, but we EV drivers tend to worry about running out of go-juice more.
Also, don’t drive behind gravel trucks.
Or garbage trucks.
Or trucks with parts that look like they’re going to fall off. Don’t ask me how I know.
Oh well, I'm still stupid 😁 I can't use SCC when i draft. It does increase the driving workload but i have gotten 3.2mi per Kw at 80-82. I don't draft as close as I used to. I learned after my rx7 caught some debris while in the envelope of a semi. I plan on doing some aero modifications to my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
We drove from San Jose to Sacramento (about 240 miles round trip) on a full charge, but ended up charging it on the way back in Fremont which was about 20 miles away from SJ. The computer estimated we had 50 miles left, but since this was our first EV we wanted to be safe. 90% freeway at speeds 65-80 and mostly on cruise control at 72 with auto-climate set at 70. I believe you would be fine if you charge to 100%, live in a warm climate and aren't traveling thru hilly roads/freeways. Good luck!
Coincidentally enough I will be making a similar drive--Rocklin to San Jose which according to Google is a 288 mile RT; I will probably charge up in Pleasanton on the return trip...or if there's still enough range to make it, then Vacaville (if only because it's the only EA 350 kWh charger on my return route--not unless I decide to to head back via Tracy/Stockton).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
We have a GTL AWD and on the few occasions where we do have to drive far, we rely on abetterrouteplanner(ABRP) to give us an idea on what the SoC would look like and if we need to make a stop. It's been pretty accurate for us. The car's nav system has some recommendations too and you can choose between what's close to your starting point vs destination, but I haven't relied on that yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I recently did a 230 mile round-trip which went through undulating terrain using the Interstate for about 1/3 of the distance. Did most of the trip using the SCC and staying at the speed limit. The A/C was kept in Auto at 72F (22C). I charged to 100% using the local 150kW DC charging station before leaving. There were no charging stations at my destination. I arrived back home at the same charging station with 14% SOC or 30 miles remaining distance, so that would give me a 260 mile range.
Since then, I learnt to use the iPedal and my economy has improved to 4.2m/kWh, so I would think I could do better now on that same trip.
FWD or AWD? 19" or 20"?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top