Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am very interested in getting a GT-Line, but I want the higher range so I am thinking RWD. However looking at all the inventory at my 4 local Kia dealers in Seattle, they only carry GT-Line AWD. Does it not make sense to consider GT-Line RWD??

·
Registered
166 Posts
The difference between AWD and RWD regarding range is too small to be bothered with. (10-30 kilometers in ECO IIRC unless you really need the front motor engaged.)

The difference bewteen 19 and 20" tires on the other hand seems to be worth caring about.

There is exterior difference between GT-Lines and the others, but if that makes any difference in drag I dunno. It might be a difference but it might not be worth using that as a decider.

You can find a few tables with the specs and WLTP/EPA ranges in other threads in this forum. I think I saw one yesterdayu which even had a 5km difference with the dashcam feature..)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The main reason you want AWD is because you are a spirited driver. You like to zip up and down the street fast. Range is not the factor. Other than that you don't really need it. Specially if you are just gonna drive it in the city. You are not gonna go off roading with that car. Some folks might say its better tracking in the rain. Sure, but what you need to do in the rain is to Slow Down. Can you even remember when your other AWD car kicked in and helped you? Maybe you were just driving too fast?

·
Registered
183 Posts
The main reason you want AWD is because you are a spirited driver. You like to zip up and down the street fast. Range is not the factor. Other than that you don't really need it. Specially if you are just gonna drive it in the city. You are not gonna go off roading with that car. Some folks might say its better tracking in the rain. Sure, but what you need to do in the rain is to Slow Down. Can you even remember when your other AWD car kicked in and helped you? Maybe you were just driving too fast?
In Europe we have corners in our roads and in countries like Norway lots of snow, mountains and tight corners. There AWD will be a real surplus.
In the Netherlands where I live it's completey flat, when there is SNOW everything it one big traffic jam because 50% do think winter tyres are useless, but they do want to go on the road when there is snow and no traction.

I think it really depends on where you live and what the road conditions are like. I opted for the bigger Frunk, much cheapier tyres (19inch vs 20) and wee better range..

·
Registered
392 Posts
EV6 in RWD is enough, trust me :)
Depends on what you're moving from. Whilst RWD is nice enough, it just felt a bit sluggish to me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Depends on what you're moving from. Whilst RWD is nice enough, it just felt a bit sluggish to me.
What are you coming from a 300+BHP car?. Edit... Tesla I see.

I came from an 2019 ICE Audi A4 Avant with almost 250bph, and my partner BMW 435i from 2018. The EV6 RWD is much faster than these cars I had driven it, almost the same BHP in terms of the A4, much heavier but shifts much faster, being 2.5T. EV6 is much faster off the line than the BMW and Audi A4, god knows what the AWD is like.

Did you have Sport mode on, regen off > to zero, ESC off (traction control on), sport breaking on? no power limitations with low battery?. If you think the RWD was slow from a standstill or from low speeds, you ain't be driving it properly :). My first week of having the EV6, I certainly broke it in on the back roads, be careful though, the back end will kick out with ESC off and regen off, is the slightest of wet roads. Kind of run on dirt roads if you choose to risk your £50k car for some power slides.

Wait till you get your AWD and turn regen off, with ESC on in sports mode. You'll see :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did you have Sport mode on, regen off > to zero, ESC off (traction control on), sport breaking on? no power limitations with low battery?. If you think the RWD was slow from a standstill or from low speeds, you ain't be driving it properly :)
I pulled off a roundabout and on to the bypass and put my foot to the floor. It wasn't slow, but when you're used to a 0-60 of 4.2 and the RWD being around 7 seconds it just felt sluggish to me. SoC was high but not sure on any other settings. Like I said, it's all down to what you're used to. And yes, for daily driving the RWD is more than enough for almost everybody but I do like having the extra power available if I decide I need or want it.

The AWD at 4.6 seconds will be great for me and keeps me pretty much where I was before. My S was RWD only so expecting a bit more punch in some situations too.

Reactions: Logicpro8

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nice one, you'll be surprised how these small settings can make a difference for launching etc, check them out when your car comes. The main downfall of using all of the power is your range nosedives massively. I went through a few weeks of "testing it out", then decided I was visiting the charger too much, seeing 200 miles range and now I drive in a sensible way.... anyway, it's best to have some fun first, paying £50k for a car, after all just be careful with that ESC setting, not entirely sure what it does, but it does something fun!.

Not sure why there is a GT version coming, whats the range gonna be like on that if I was getting 200 miles rocketing about on back roads, what's the point in buying a fast car like the GT to go slow?.... anyways good luck when it comes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My charger is on my driveway so no worries there :)

I've learnt how to drive an EV over the last 4-5 years. Drive it how I like close to home....drive it like an old lady on longer journeys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I test drove a RWD. It is slow in today's standard (7ish 0-60). I had to push really hard to reach 80mph and the car was like losing its breath over 80...
Did you also get a chance to test drive an AWD as well? I am just curious if the feeling of "slow" is relative or absolute. (understanding 7ish sec 0-60 mph is not great in today's standard)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts