Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
GT-Line.
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unaware that the GT Line has a standard 225 hp unit and an optional 320 hp motor. Are both for AWD?
What will be the difference in cost?

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

--> The heating steering wheel seems to be an option too on this trim (see very bottom in image below).

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

----> Heat pump is also an option as shown below on the EX+ AWD and GT-Line (AWD).
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I understand right, the heat pump and heated steering wheel come standard on the AWD, but not the RWD.
And I think the 320 HP might be for the First Edition, which could confirm that the FE is a GT-line with an FE package.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The GT-line comes in the 225HP RWD configuration, but "optionally" you can pay more for AWD, which adds a 2nd motor, bringing total HP to 320.
So the GT-Line AWD has more HP than the EX+ AWD? Because the EX+ can have AWD too, and there’s not a separate listing for that motor.
Edited to add that I’d be surprised if the RWD and AWD EX+ had the same HP, so we might be missing some info here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Mosko006 I believe the 125 kW motor is for the 58 kWh battery-RWD, the 168 kW motor is for the 77.4 kWh battery-RWD and the 71 kW front and 168 kW rear (239 kW total) motors are for the 77.4 kWh-AWD. The AWD in either trim may have the same 239 kW motors.

·
Registered
GT-Line.
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1- If I understand right, the heat pump and heated steering wheel come standard on the AWD, but not the RWD.
And I think the 320 HP might be for the First Edition, which could confirm that the FE is a GT-line with an FE package.

2-So the GT-Line AWD has more HP than the EX+ AWD? Because the EX+ can have AWD too, and there’s not a separate listing for that motor.
Edited to add that I’d be surprised if the RWD and AWD EX+ had the same HP, so we might be missing some info here.
I'm not sure if the FE has the more powerful motor or not but from what I read on this site is that "it combines all the goodies of the EX+ with some GT Line trims."

From the chart, EX+ and GT Line have standard 225 hp, the plus(+) denotes 225 hp. I know with the IONIQ 5 that the smaller battery with just 167 hp is front-wheel drive only.
So I believe 225 hp means you can get 'optional AWD' (??)
However, the chart does indicate you can get an even beefier 320 hp with just the GT Line as an option. It's not very clear.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
36 Posts
That makes sense. I guess I would have assumed that all RWD would have the same HP and they’d just add a front motor for AWD and those would all be the same, but I guess upping the HP for a higher trim makes sense too. What do I know about car design, I just drive the thing and hope I don’t need the safety features 🙃.

·
Registered
GT-Line.
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Mosko006
-125 kW motor is for the 58 kWh battery-RWD
-168 kW motor is for the 77.4 kWh battery-RWD
-239 kW (3.71 kW front and 168 kW rear ) for the 77.4 kWh-AWD.
-The AWD in either trim may have the same 239 kW motors.
You might be right, the chart is kind of unclear. I did find this for the IONIQ 5
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might be right, the chart is kind of unclear. I did find this for the IONIQ 5 View attachment 1212
I took me a second to figure out the trim chart for the EV6. It just tells you the possible options included for each trim but how they are combined and the optional options are a little unclear. I think the 239 kW motor on the AWD is listed as an option because the AWD is an option.

·
Registered
GT-Line.
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took me a second to figure out the trim chart for the EV6. It just tells you the possible options included for each trim but how they are combined and the optional options are a little unclear. I think the 239 kW motor on the AWD is listed as an option because the AWD is an option.
They are pulling the same marketing trick as Hyundai by offering an 'entry price vehicle below $40,000' that not many would buy IMHO; that being the smallest battery/least powerful FWD model. It will most likely arrive much later than the more expensive models.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's RWD for the base 58kWh version. Yes, it'll allow them to offer a "starting at" price.

In addition, I believe Canada may have influenced the US offering. In Canada, our federal EV incentives require the base price of the car to be below $50,000. In addition, all other trim levels above $50,000 will qualify as long as they're priced below $55,000. Options, packages, colour and accessories do not factor into that price qualification, just the trim level.

So, in order to qualify for the rebate, Hyundai Canada and Kia Canada probably figured it's best to offer the smaller battery option. (Initially, it was hinted that Kia would not offer the base 58kWh version but I guess that would mean they'll lose sales to their sister company if the Ioniq 5 qualifies and the EV6 doesn't).

Anyway, since homologation is similar between the two countries, I guess there was some negotiation either between Kia Canada and Kia Motors USA or Kia Motors USA, Kia Canada and Kia HQ in Korea (as the middle person) to offer the smaller battery in the US to make the certification cost worthwhile. (Canadian car sales are 1/10th the total of the US so relatively speaking, certifying a car for only Canadian consumers can be expensive if they can't roll the cost out to the US too).

·
Registered
GT-Line.
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's RWD for the base 58kWh version. Yes, it'll allow them to offer a "starting at" price.

In addition, I believe Canada may have influenced the US offering. In Canada, our federal EV incentives require the base price of the car to be below $50,000. In addition, all other trim levels above $50,000 will qualify as long as they're priced below $55,000. Options, packages, colour and accessories do not factor into that price qualification, just the trim level.

So, in order to qualify for the rebate, Hyundai Canada and Kia Canada probably figured it's best to offer the smaller battery option. (Initially, it was hinted that Kia would not offer the base 58kWh version but I guess that would mean they'll lose sales to their sister company if the Ioniq 5 qualifies and the EV6 doesn't).

Anyway, since homologation is similar between the two countries, I guess there was some negotiation either between Kia Canada and Kia Motors USA or Kia Motors USA, Kia Canada, and Kia HQ in Korea (as the middle person) to offer the smaller battery in the US to make the certification cost worthwhile. (Canadian car sales are 1/10th the total of the US so relatively speaking, certifying a car for only Canadian consumers can be expensive if they can't roll the cost out to the US too).
Thanks, yes that makes sense but the US customers don't get the rebate automatically, plus the destination fee is even more expensive than ever before. The lower models with FWD don't appeal to me as I live in NY. I will wait for the configuration and pricing to go live before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't write off a RWD EV for snow. Their weight is evenly distributed so they handle much better than RWD ICE cars in the snow. Snow tires would be a must. You should check out the YouTube videos of Model 3s with snow tires in 4-6 inches of snow, it is impressive. Michelin's Cross Climate is an all terrain snow rated tire that can be used in the summer also. Of course an AWD with snow tires would be best but if you are trying to save money, it's worth considering.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ditto. The EV6 will be my first AWD car. I've done well with FWD and Nokian R (and subsequent series on newer cars) dedicated winter tires in both dry powder snow and wet slushy snow. I'd imagine ground clearance will be more of an issue than drivetrain configuration. From what I've heard from friends and co-workers who have the Model 3 SR+, a RWD EV is different from a RWD ICE as it has better weight balance and thus more weight in the rear.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So the GT-Line AWD has more HP than the EX+ AWD?
No, if it's AWD, it's the same (320) HP. There just appears to be a couple errors in those charts. I pointed that out when MurlinatoR first posted those screenshots. As he noted, it also shows both intelligent front lighting, and reflector LED lights, which is contradictory.
@Mosko006 I believe the 125 kW motor is for the 58 kWh battery-RWD, the 168 kW motor is for the 77.4 kWh battery-RWD and the 71 kW front and 168 kW rear (239 kW total) motors are for the 77.4 kWh-AWD. The AWD in either trim may have the same 239 kW motors.
Correct. I think in reality, there are only two motor options (until the GT comes out): the standard motor on the rear that they ALL have, and an optional smaller motor on the front. AWD=both motors=higher (320) total HP. I believe the rear motor is physically the same on all versions, but is simply de-rated in the small battery versions due to the lower voltage.
... the plus(+) denotes 225 hp. I know with the IONIQ 5 that the smaller battery with just 167 hp is front-wheel drive only.
Technically, the "+" denotes the bigger battery pack, but that does result in the higher rating of the rear motor. FWIW, there are no FWD eGMP vehicles. Single motor versions are all RWD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts