Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer told me 10 days. Day 11 and nothing yet.
It was a week of hearing nothing when @RawrEV6 shared this email address: [email protected]

That’s the 3rd party supplier for the chargers. I dropped them a note, the followed up same day saying they were looking into it and got the word on Friday they’re sending it out.

So it’ll be ~3 weeks from delivery of car to delivery of charger.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 FE - Silver & Charger
135 Posts
I got a reply from that email address - and surprise surprise, I was not "in the system yet."
Next day I received the survey email.

For the survey - do I just match this question to however my dryer plugs in, or is it more complicated than that?

Smile Font Adapter Output device Cable

·
Registered
Kia EV6 limited
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a reply from that email address - and surprise surprise, I was not "in the system yet."

For the survey - do I just match this question to however my dryer plugs in, or is it more complicated than that?

View attachment 2866
Yes, match the plug to your 220v outlet. I had to buy an adapter because these plugs do not match my outlet.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 limited
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

View attachment 2866
I also found out that the canadian EV6's come with charge cables because they do not get 1000kw free charge credit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok sorry, back again. Learning a bunch about all this, appreciate the patience.

Assuming these breakers have the amperage on the switch ends. AC runs on 60, and this place was built in 2012.

Will the electrician be able to install/hardwire at “full” amperage?

Office equipment Font Automotive tire Rectangle Metal

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE Urban Yellow
88 Posts
I'm not an expert (i.e., electrician) but your electrician should tell you what your options are and how much each costs. There are too many unknowns (house feed, available breakers, current usage, etc.) for anyone here to answer your question definitively.

I did come across this article yesterday that seems like an option for those of us who might otherwise overload existing panels with EV charging.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 limited
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not an expert (i.e., electrician) but your electrician should tell you what your options are and how much each costs. There are too many unknowns (house feed, available breakers, current usage, etc.) for anyone here to answer your question definitively.

I did come across this article yesterday that seems like an option for those of us who might otherwise overload existing panels with EV charging.
My dryer outlet does not match either. I plan to use an adapter and then use the instructions to make adjustments with the level 2 charger.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My dryer outlet does not match either. I plan to use an adapter and then use the instructions to make adjustments with the level 2 charger.
Maybe you're thinking/considering something like this?
240V splitter using your dryer outlet

I think here in the U.S. the dryer outlet receptacle is typically a NEMA 14-30 (mine is this); not that it matters in my case since I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage; conveniently enough there was already a conduit running from my main breaker box to an existing wallplate in my garage that just happens to be in the perfect spot for me to mount a Level 2 charger--meaning, all the electrician had to do was run ~3 feet of wire from the breaker box down the conduit to the wallplate, then install the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and a dedicated 50-amp breaker--nothing more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Update: filled out the survey on Thursday, received shipping notification today with an ETA of Wednesday.
Having it installed by Hi-Q Electrical ATL - my neighbor had his Tesla charger installed by this guy and comes highly recommended. Quoted me $495 for labor and material (outlet), and it comes with a free "SORRY NO GAS TODAY" promotional T-shirt for his company :LOL:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Update: filled out the survey on Thursday, received shipping notification today with an ETA of Wednesday.
Having it installed by Hi-Q Electrical ATL - my neighbor had his Tesla charger installed by this guy and comes highly recommended. Quoted me $495 for labor and material (outlet), and it comes with a free "SORRY NO GAS TODAY" promotional T-shirt for his company :LOL:
So THAT explains the $495 estimate--that must be one expensive t-shirt--LOL j/k!

I plan on mounting/installing the Level 2 charger myself, but did have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet, a 50-amp breaker, and run wiring through an existing conduit that leads directly to a wallplate in my garage that's located in an ideal spot for where my charger will be installed at (lucky me!), for the fair price (IMHO) of $350. After watching the electrician perform this install, in retrospect I probably could have done it myself but hey, I don't mind supporting various businesses.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Telluride and 2022 KIA EV6 GT-Line First Edition
64 Posts
My charger arrived yesterday with the 6-50 plug option. I got the feeling more people were asking for 14-50 so I took the chance that 6-50 may come faster. Ultimately the 14-50 just costs more to install with no benefit.

I took delivery of my FE on February 14th. I got the email requesting my address on February 17th. They provided tracking February 25th and I received February 28th. I did email them a couple a times, which I think may have helped push mine through.

I was going to hard wire to the box, but my run is about 50 feet and conduit would have been much more expensive. Then I considered using NM 6/2 wire and hardwire to a 60 amp breaker. Technically you can protect 6/2 NM wire with a 60 amp breaker, even though it is 55 amp rated provided the load is below 80%. Some electrical inspectors may not let it pass. Ultimately I got concerned about my breaker panel capacity. I have 200 amp service, but I have a hot water heater, AC unit, double wall oven and swim spa on the panel. In the end, I have decided to use a 50 amp panel breaker, 6/2 NM wire and 6-50 receptacle. This also makes it easy to remove the charger or replace it in the future. There is a minor hit to charge time moving from hard wired to 50 amp receptacle, but it isn't enough to be concerned with.

My material cost for a 50 foot run, receptacle and breaker is around $160. I have electrical education and work for one of the largest circuit breaker companies in the world, so I am very comfortable doing the work myself. Just be aware that voltage/current in an electrical panel is enough to kill you. Turn off your main panel breaker before adding, replacing or moving any circuit breaker. Only perform electrical work with circuits off and verify they off with a meter.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
134 Posts
Going over 50 amps (rated; 40 amp effective) is a lot more expensive. The "80% continuous load" applies to both the cable and the breaker, so 55 amp 6/2 cable has a max continuous load of 44 amps. 4/2 cable isn't normally made; 4/3 is but is super expensive. For that high a current, you need to run individual THHN wires in a conduit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts