Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll add one to the OP request and ask if anyone has even seen an EV6 with a tow bar? I only need it for a bike rack but I'd like to see where the factory one sits. I'm guessing it will only be a 1-1/4 so would need an adapter for my 2" rack. Looking at the area under the bottom of the back bumper it isn't obvious where it wold be positioned unless it hung completely below which would put it quite low to the ground.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
251 Posts
I'll add one to the OP request and ask if anyone has even seen an EV6 with a tow bar? I only need it for a bike rack but I'd like to see where the factory one sits. I'm guessing it will only be a 1-1/4 so would need an adapter for my 2" rack. Looking at the area under the bottom of the back bumper it isn't obvious where it wold be positioned unless it hung completely below which would put it quite low to the ground.
If your like me I am guessing you're looking for a "2" receiver" and not a tow bar which I've seen online as a foldable bar with a ball mounted on it.Right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your like me I am guessing you're looking for a "2" receiver" and not a tow bar which I've seen online as a foldable bar with a ball mounted on it.Right?
Exactly. I have a 1-Up super duty bike rack set up for a 2" receiver. While I could theoretically use an adapter for a 1-1/4 receiver that would not be an ideal solution. Any kind of retractible ball option would be useless for me. I did briefly look for some kind of adapter for the invisible towbar contraption that would provide a 2" receiver but came up empty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the FB group, someone posted about their experience towing a horse trailer. It was probably 8-9ft tall, much taller and less aerodynamic than most cargo trailers, and they got about 200km range. I'm hoping for a bit more with my 6'6" interior height trailer. It was supposedly very stable and accelerated/braked well. They had the foldable ball type hitch/receiver, but that is apparently due to the regulations in their Euro country. The US ones are expected to be the normal 2" receiver even with the 2300lbs towing limit reduced from the 3500lbs euro limit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dealer installed hitch from Kia is $540 on the US website. U-Haul or any aftermarket company should be able to beat that by at least $200 and ensure a proper 2" receiver instead of that folding, one size ball thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason for asking about towing experiences of the EV6 is because of the uncertainty of range reduction. In a YouTube video in America a man towing a sports car on a low loader weight 3,000Lbs, achieved 2.9 M/KW with an e-niro (Illegal in the UK) which was incredible. This was put down to the low drag the trailer made.
When towing a caravan, is the suggested 50% reduction in range based on the published WLTP combined figure, the range achieved at 70 mph or the range at a steady 55mph. All three calculations will give you a very wide range of figures with a significant variation

·
Registered
46 Posts
The reason for asking about towing experiences of the EV6 is because of the uncertainty of range reduction. In a YouTube video in America a man towing a sports car on a low loader weight 3,000Lbs, achieved 2.9 M/KW with an e-niro (Illegal in the UK) which was incredible. This was put down to the low drag the trailer made.
When towing a caravan, is the suggested 50% reduction in range based on the published WLTP combined figure, the range achieved at 70 mph or the range at a steady 55mph. All three calculations will give you a very wide range of figures with a significant variation
Any report like that should also take into account wind, elevation gains/losses etc. I've had trips in our ICE car where the mileage, not towing anything, took a huge hit because we were driving into a strong headwind at highway speeds. On the flip side you could probably get amazing numbers with a tailwind driving down a long decent ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just seen on YouTube a video by Andrew Ditton a Caravan blogger. He has just taken delivery of an EV6 I think AWD for towing his Caravan. He said driving solo, he archived 3.6 to +4 M/Kw. When towing at 50mph, he achieved 1.4 M/Kw towing into a 25/40 mph wind. However for the return journey he achieved 2.8 M/Kw an average of 1.8/2.0 M/Kw. Not too bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will have my trailer hitch installed in three days and will post a photo for you. I paid for the AWD because I need to tow motorcycle, compost, building materials. It is not a daily thing but it is a part of how I work and play....

I'll let you now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would appear from various sources that the EV charging networks are not providing layouts for EV to charge whilst towing. This will add additional delay in unhooking the caravan/trailer before charging. For example the new super Gridserve installation in Norwich does not have this facility. Some sites I believe have island charging stations which are suitable. I have asked ZapMap if they could identify suitable sites on their map and they are looking into it. In the meantime, do any EV users know of charging sites where a vehicle towing can charge without decoupling?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have just bought a Kia EV6 AWD and a Baily Cabrera caravan. I have a concern about the electric connection between the two. I understand from the caravan dealer that in the 13pin plug, there is one pin for the auxiliary circuits i.e. fridge etc, and one to charge the 12v leisure battery. In ICE cars you have large 12v battery's and powerful alternators.. The two battery's can be connected together without a problem and the alternator is powerful enough to charge them both.
In the case of an EV, the 12v battery is small and under normal circumstances it has been know in numerous models to sometimes go flat. This will then not allow the car to turn on.
Will connecting the large leisure battery to the small car battery increase the possibility of this happening?
Are there any precautions you can take, i.e. only connect when car is in ready mode?
Should you not connect the 12v charging pin which would mean the battery taking full auxiliary load when the car is detached to charge?.
In general, is there a problem connecting, disconnecting the plug when both are live i.e. drawing a spark and damaging pins?
Has anyone any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will have my trailer hitch installed in three days and will post a photo for you. I paid for the AWD because I need to tow motorcycle, compost, building materials. It is not a daily thing but it is a part of how I work and play....

I'll let you now.
Looking forward to hearing about it. I’m taking delivery Friday of AWD. I have Moto and go from Maine to upstate NY. Also have failing pick-up so was wondering if a trailer could fill in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just bought a Kia EV6 AWD and a Baily Cabrera caravan. I have a concern about the electric connection between the two. I understand from the caravan dealer that in the 13pin plug, there is one pin for the auxiliary circuits i.e. fridge etc, and one to charge the 12v leisure battery. In ICE cars you have large 12v battery's and powerful alternators.. The two battery's can be connected together without a problem and the alternator is powerful enough to charge them both.
In the case of an EV, the 12v battery is small and under normal circumstances it has been know in numerous models to sometimes go flat. This will then not allow the car to turn on.
Will connecting the large leisure battery to the small car battery increase the possibility of this happening?
Are there any precautions you can take, i.e. only connect when car is in ready mode?
Should you not connect the 12v charging pin which would mean the battery taking full auxiliary load when the car is detached to charge?.
In general, is there a problem connecting, disconnecting the plug when both are live i.e. drawing a spark and damaging pins?
Has anyone any thoughts?
I am part of Ohmmu, which is a company that builds 12V batteries specifically for Electric Vehicles. I haven’t towed with my EV6 yet but I’ve towed many times with Teslas (Y and X models). I will share my thoughts on the 12V battery and tow power issue you asked about;

The EV6 standard 12V battery is actually quite large, its a 60Ah (lead Ah, so not really) 30lb Lead Acid battery, similar to the starting battery in most cars this size actually. But the thing that matters when it comes to powering/charging the trailer is not so much the 12V battery itself but the DC/DC output capabilities. I don’t yet know the spec exactly on the EV6 but for Tesla all of their vehicles can push 200A out of the DC/DC on the 12V side. Part of the spec/design is that it should be capable of powering all safety systems in the event of a 12V battery issue (think terminal coming loose while driving or some other means where the 12V battery suddenly becomes inoperable to the car). I would imagine e-GMP platform will have a similar design consideration and rating. This current availability is far beyond what you need for powering a trailer auxiliary system.

Electric Vehicles tow like a dream, as long as you aren’t traveling far, they tow well but not for very far, range is usually 50% of rated range if you drive conservatively.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the trailer hitch installed with my new EV6......and no wiring. I am told Kia stopped installing the current wiring and are re designing it. In the meantime I have spent $120.00 on rentals because I sold my Forester that I set up for towing. Very disappointed.....I am told it will be a early June before I can possibly get the wiring.

I know there is a video on YouTube of two guys towing the full 2500 lbs. I use a trailer for lighter loads and most likely won't go above 1500 lbs. total. I will have the mileage difference in month...Ihope.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts