Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Different manufacturers use different terminology to describe how their headlights work, so it can be difficult to compare. There are two features on my current BMW’s headlights that I particularly value, and I would be interested to know if the EV6 (particularly the GT-Line S) has them. Is there anyone on here who has already taken delivery who could tell me? I value direct experience more than the opinion of a salesman who may have had little or no driving time in the car.

The features are:

1 On main beam, when travelling on a curved road the beam swivels slightly horizontally into the corner to give earlier visibility around the bend.

2 On dipped beam (and possibly also main beam), when turning sharply at slow speed, such as turning into a driveway, the front fog light on the inside of the bend illuminates to show the nearby space that you are about to drive into.

Can anyone help with this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been curious to see what answers you get. Since no one with first hand experience has chimed in, I will add one tidbit: I don't believe the EV6 has front fog lights. It appears to only have controls for the rear fog light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As far as I know there are no cornering lights and certainly no independent fog lights but the headlights may work as all weather lights. One of my recent cars didn’t have independent fog lights but the headlights changed shape and direction if it was either raining hard or the rear fog light was on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In the UK spec it says all models except base Air include:
"Dual LED headlights with adaptive driving beam"

I'm not familiar with Kia but Google tells me this is a system that uses motors to swivel the headlights when the steering wheel is turned, and to angle down at lower speeds. Looks like the answer to OP's original question is "yes (in at least some markets)"

Re: fog lamps, I've never seen anything below the headlight module, but there's a reference to them existing in an online EV6 user's manual (and the press photos show this same headlight control stick to the left of the steering wheel):

Mobile phone car mount Camera lens Digital camera Camera Point-and-shoot camera

·
Registered
142 Posts

I'm not familiar with Kia but Google tells me this is a system that uses motors to swivel the headlights when the steering wheel is turned, and to angle down at lower speeds. Looks like the answer to OP's original question is "yes (in at least some markets)"
I believe the adaptive beams are mostly about shaping the beam pattern to dip it for oncoming traffic (if the system sees oncoming cars, it will dip the high beam in the direction of that car, but keep them high on the opposite side of the road). That could also mean shaping it for corners. Sadly, adaptive headlights currently aren't allowed in the US. 😞

Re: fog lamps, I've never seen anything below the headlight module, but there's a reference to them existing in an online EV6 user's manual (and the press photos show this same headlight control stick to the left of the steering wheel)
I'm pretty sure that's for the rear fog light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In theory the auto self dipping (adaptive beam) should work for UK cars driving on the continent without requiring headlight deflectors. Does anyone know for sure if this is so?

·
Registered
89 Posts
In theory the auto self dipping (adaptive beam) should work for UK cars driving on the continent without requiring headlight deflectors. Does anyone know for sure if this is so?
Yes, that’s normally the case. My last 7 cars have all had adaptive lights that don’t needing altering for driving on the wrong 🙂 side of the road.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In the UK spec it says all models except base Air include:

Re: fog lamps, I've never seen anything below the headlight module, but there's a reference to them existing in an online EV6 user's manual (and the press photos show this same headlight control stick to the left of the steering wheel):

View attachment 568
Google is wrong. Adaptive headlights have nothing to do with swivelling around bends. Swivelling lights are commonly referred to as adaptive front lighting system and this is where the confusion lies. Adaptive headlights (which is what the Kia gets) remain on high beam on all unlit roads but blank out the high beam around vehicles you are following and vehicles approaching. You even get high beam down the strip in the middle of the road between vehicles as well as beyond them. But certain conditions have to be met, i.e. unlit road and travelling than a certain speed. In my Mazda adaptive lights are from 30mph, in my Lexus it’s from 40mph which, in my opinion is too fast before they come on. Hopefully Kia it’s 30mph (or slower)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Adaptive headlights (which is what the Kia gets) remain on high beam on all unlit roads but blank out the high beam around vehicles you are following and vehicles approaching. You even get high beam down the strip in the middle of the road between vehicles as well as beyond them.
Some interesting challenges here for MOT testers 😧

·
Registered
100 Posts
Google is wrong. Adaptive headlights have nothing to do with swivelling around bends. Swivelling lights are commonly referred to as adaptive front lighting system and this is where the confusion lies. Adaptive headlights (which is what the Kia gets) remain on high beam on all unlit roads but blank out the high beam around vehicles you are following and vehicles approaching. You even get high beam down the strip in the middle of the road between vehicles as well as beyond them. But certain conditions have to be met, i.e. unlit road and travelling than a certain speed. In my Mazda adaptive lights are from 30mph, in my Lexus it’s from 40mph which, in my opinion is too fast before they come on. Hopefully Kia it’s 30mph (or slower)
That conflicts with what I found, so I'll share what I found and everybody can judge for themselves / look further.

First, this overview of Kia's headlight system says they swivel around corners:
(ironically, one of the clips in this video drives literally outside my office here in Canada 😄 )

Second, Kia's spec sheets mention "directionally adaptive"

Third, I think I misinterpreted the motors moving the headlamps up and down - looks like that's for leveling (going up/downhill, e.g.) and for auto-highbeam.

Fourth, I hadn't seen this before, but here's an EV6 vid right here on the forum showing headlights going around corners:

I saw this somewhere, that Kia's headlamp system means that UK cars don't need adjustments to drive in the EU, but I just can't find it again now, sorry!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's a video of a UK spec GT-Line S model, showing the beam forming of the adaptive headlights. I couldn't see any side-side angling when going around the corners, only the dipping of the beam around oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here's a video of a UK spec GT-Line S model, showing the beam forming of the adaptive headlights. I couldn't see any side-side angling when going around the corners, only the dipping of the beam around oncoming traffic.
Any thoughts on travelling in Europe? Will the lights automatically recognise they need to reverse their action?

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can set the adaptive high beam to be on from faster than 15mph or 25mph or 35mph :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
That conflicts with what I found, so I'll share what I found and everybody can judge for themselves / look further.

(ironically, one of the clips in this video drives literally outside my office here in Canada 😄 )

Third, I think I misinterpreted the motors moving the headlamps up and down - looks like that's for leveling (going up/downhill, e.g.) and for auto-highbeam.

Fourth, I hadn't seen this before, but here's an EV6 vid right here on the forum showing headlights going around corners:

I saw this somewhere, that Kia's headlamp system means that UK cars don't need adjustments to drive in the EU, but I just can't find it again now, sorry!
There is the option in settings to change the vehicles lights into travel mode which reduces the distance of the lights to reduce glare for oncoming traffic in countries that drive on the opposite side compared to the vehicles country it is set up for

·
Registered
89 Posts

AFLS are cornering lights that bend with the road. Adaptive high beams are completely different and shade other vehicles whilst you remain on high beam. I understand the EV6 is the latter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
AFLS are cornering lights that bend with the road. Adaptive high beams are completely different and shade other vehicles whilst you remain on high beam. I understand the EV6 is the latter.
Yes the EV6 has Adaptive High beam and does indeed create a shaded box essentially around cars, however when turning into a lane it does seem to illuminate the lane as cornering whether or not that's due to the range of the high beams I will have to find out, will make sure to do some tests and inform you all :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
... when turning into a lane it does seem to illuminate the lane as cornering whether or not that's due to the range of the high beams I will have to find out
In the driving video I posted above, I could not see any L-R aiming of the headlights when he went around corners, like I've seen in some cars. If it's there, it must be pretty subtle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts